Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Franky, IIRC He was Arthur Fox,s son Arthur was the yard forman, His son Charlie came after Sean left, He did in fact do a bit of driving for Anderson, My late son Lawrence was still there when Andersons took over , Nigel was laid off when it looked like Shorts were going down, So I got him his first wagon, A Leyland Terrier flat, Lawrence carried on working for Anderson then he drove a tipper for the family firm, he then had his own garage at Belsay. Charlie Fox passed away IIRC Two years ago, Regards Larry.

Hi Franky, This was Nigels starter wagon, Regards Larry.

Those mark two Terriers were a decent little truck with the 4/98 and 6/98 engines and Turner synchromesh gearbox. I did a lot of work on them at the BMC dealership, and was signed up for a course at Cowley on them but left the company before attending it. The previous models with the Nitrogen actuated braking system had problems as the Nitrogen actuators behind the bumper had to be pressurised exactly the same on either side or else the brakes pulled to one side badly, the later versions with the revampped cab as in Larry’s pic returned to a conventional braking system.I can’t remember if the later ones had power steering, the previous models didn’t because it needed a hydraulic pump to power the pressurised brake fluid system which was in a tank behind the cab so had rather heavy ‘Armstrong’ power assistance! :laughing:

Pete.

Hi Pete, This one didnt have powered steering, But was the 698 Engine which was no bother other than a head gasket a couple of times, Nigel did long haul work all the time, Well paid rush jobs a lot, Which of course we prefered to do, But it could carry 4 Tonnes which was a good payload running at 7.5.Tonnes gross, It was tops on MPG, It had two fuel tanks on when I bought it, But we decided to fit a larger single tank which IIRC Was a 50 gallon one, As soon as Nigel reached 21 years of age We put him in for class 1 one training through the RHA lot, Then went on to drive out Seddon Aki artic,And he loved the sleeper cab I must say, The good old long gone days, :wink: :wink: :wink: .Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Hi Pete, This one didnt have powered steering, But was the 698 Engine which was no bother other than a head gasket a couple of times, Nigel did long haul work all the time, Well paid rush jobs a lot, Which of course we prefered to do, But it could carry 4 Tonnes which was a good payload running at 7.5.Tonnes gross, It was tops on MPG, It had two fuel tanks on when I bought it, But we decided to fit a larger single tank which IIRC Was a 50 gallon one, As soon as Nigel reached 21 years of age We put him in for class 1 one training through the RHA lot, Then went on to drive out Seddon Aki artic,And he loved the sleeper cab I must say, The good old long gone days, :wink: :wink: :wink: .Regards Larry.

Hiya,
I’ve said it before Larry but I think you had a cracking livery.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Hi Pete, This one didnt have powered steering, But was the 698 Engine which was no bother other than a head gasket a couple of times, Nigel did long haul work all the time, Well paid rush jobs a lot, Which of course we prefered to do, But it could carry 4 Tonnes which was a good payload running at 7.5.Tonnes gross, It was tops on MPG, It had two fuel tanks on when I bought it, But we decided to fit a larger single tank which IIRC Was a 50 gallon one, As soon as Nigel reached 21 years of age We put him in for class 1 one training through the RHA lot, Then went on to drive out Seddon Aki artic,And he loved the sleeper cab I must say, The good old long gone days, :wink: :wink: :wink: .Regards Larry.

Hiya,

Aye Harry, and the paint job on the Sed Atki didn’t look to bad either! :smiley: :smiley:
Ps. I see there’s a whisky collection coming up for sale, is it Larry’s
under a nom de plume? :laughing: :laughing: regards Kev.

kevmac47:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,

Aye Harry, and the paint job on the Sed Atki didn’t look to bad either! :smiley: :smiley:
Ps. I see there’s a whisky collection coming up for sale, is it Larry’s
under a nom de plume? :laughing: :laughing: regards Kev.

Oh dear I shall have to withdraw from the sale, The ones I had in mind only 30 bottles all empty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

I attended a funeral a few weeks ago, This lad drove for Andersons of Westerhope for a few years, Barry Smith AKN as Sammy, His daughters run a small cafe in Ponteland serving very nice food, On a Sat some drivers from the past have a very nice cooked breakfast there, Including my good self, Mick Finlay, The Armstrong bros from Prestwick along with John Watson, Alan Graham,Geordie Forster , All retired haulage men,So if there is any old drivers who worked for Anderson Bros the same time as Sammy why not call in and have a bit chat with us old drivers, Regards Larry.

This is one of the tippers he drove for Andersons, Regards Larry.

d

Charlton of Gateshead International Harvester 1700 Loadstar
The company ran fourteen of these trucks and at the time
Had mixed fleet including Fords, and Bedford TK and KM,s

Dodge 500K 1050 with Edbro Loader
One of the first skip wagons in Newcastle

Charlton of Gateshead International Harvester 1700 Loadstar The company ran fourteen of these trucks and at the time
Had mixed fleet including Fords, and Bedford TK and KM,s

My old Dad drove one of these at Owen Pugh, they had a few of the Internationals, not a bad little motor. Franky.

Charlton of Gateshead International Harvester1700 Loadstar tipper truck

Amal Reetman:
Charlton of Gateshead International Harvester1700 Loadstar tipper truck

Is that photo taken next to Andy’s yard outside The Plough ■■? Tyneside

One very windy day in 1969 or 1970 I delivered a load of these blue granite precast concrete panels to St Andrews House adjacent to the Tyne Bridge brought from Solway Pre Cast Products at Creetown. The panels were lifted off by a tower crane situated down below the Tyne Bridge approach roadways which was a precarious operation due to the high winds and the rapid lifting once the each panel was slung. I think the crane was situated at the oposite end of this building.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
One very windy day in 1970 or 71 I delivered a load of these blue granite precast concrete panels to St Andrews House adjacent to the Tyne Bridge brought from Solway Pre Cast Products at Creetown. The panels were lifted off by a tower crane situated down below the Tyne Bridge approach roadways which was a precarious operation due to the high winds and the rapid lifting once the each panel was slung. I think the crane was situated at the oposite end of this building.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

I worked on this site all saints when Ogdens of Otley done the excavation for the central motorway
I remember Allinsons of Darlington delivering there and Elddis with F10 volvos when they had just been formed

Dodge 500K 1050

This really is a Tipper, put it upright but the photo is distorted, its better to scan pics onto your PC then send them from there for a better quality pic.

image.jpeg.jpg

Thats a cracking photo of The Dodge tipper,I only ran one as a owner driver, But it was a good motor IMO, 10.750 tonnes paylaod, It would go anyware 0ff road, But I also did some long hauls with it, I regret not preserving it, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Thats a cracking photo of The Dodge tipper,I only ran one as a owner driver, But it was a good motor IMO, 10.750 tonnes paylaod, It would go anyware 0ff road, But I also did some long hauls with it, I regret not preserving it, Regards Larry.

Can you help Larry, I have posed a question about a couple of Dunfermline hauliers from yesteryear “David West” and “Lovat Raine” as to whether they were the same firm or connected any ideas Mate ? Regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis,I can remember David Wests motors Blue & red livery IIRC, But I dont remember Raines , Sorry my friend, Regards Larry.