Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

A model T Ford belonging to F and J Stafford general carriers of Gosforth St Newcastle in the 1920s. The vehicle is in the Durham market place outside the indoor market and Guild Hall.

Lawrence Dunbar:

If ye divent mind me saying Larry but that cross on the reels looks like it will be down shortly after that artic got under way ! Cheers Dennis.

Does anyone nar how Larry and “H” came on in The Great North Run ■■ did they jog over the line arguing who came first and second or did they hold hands and then get disqualified for bending the rules !!! Anon 1. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
Does anyone nar how Larry and “H” came on in The Great North Run ■■ did they jog over the line arguing who came first and second or did they hold hands and then get disqualified for bending the rules !!! Anon 1. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya,
Last thing I heard Larry was slipstreaming me about a half mile back
I was just in front of Sir Mo when I got peckish and nipped into a
pub for a pie and a pint consequently Larry beat me by a short head
but the the knight of the realm actually got first place but I was
happy to come third and Larry and me managed it on only one litre
of the best single malt each, Larry says roll on the London marathon.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

Hiya,
Last thing I heard Larry was slipstreaming me about a half mile back
I was just in front of Sir Mo when I got peckish and nipped into a
pub for a pie and a pint consequently Larry beat me by a short head
but the the knight of the realm actually got first place but I was
happy to come third and Larry and me managed it on only one litre
of the best single malt each, Larry says roll on the London marathon.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Ill have to get stocked up for the London Run, Two Litres each I reckon, Plus a new pair of running shoes :wink: :wink: :wink:, They was I trundle along they must be of top class quality, With no stopping cencors fitted, Regards Larry.

Vehicle at Bridge End Sawmills Hexham

ravda:

Great stuff “ravda”, What year would this have been :question: The wagon appears to me to be Ex Army Spec, Thanks for posting this , Regards Larry.

Not sure of the year but Bridge End sawmills at Hexham also supplied me with this photo. Also not sure of the year or vehicle type?

Hi Ravda, was Bridge End Sawmills anything to do with Bowmans of Hexham ? I have a notion that this ERF was supplied by Eden Commercials (County Motors) of Carlisle and that my father was involved in its delivery when new in the mid circa 1955-6.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Ravda, was Bridge End Sawmills anything to do with Bowmans of Hexham ? I have a notion that this ERF was supplied by Eden Commercials (County Motors) of Carlisle and that my father was involved in its delivery when new in the mid circa 1955-6.
Cheers, Leyland 600

I think Bridge End Sawmills was Jackson’s

Tyneside

ravda:

Looks to be an ex. WD Bedford QL
Regards, Eric.

Bell’s of Ashington.

Click on pages twice to read.

Im looking to identify the origin and location of this coal haulage firm called Stirk Haulage. The photo was taken locally during the miners strike.

IIRC, They were from Staindrop, Regards Larry.

Would that be Rodney Stirk from Staindrop and did they run out of Randolph Coke Works ?

Randolph coke and chemical company Evenwood Co Durham

492246_ecfd44f7.jpg

Randolph coke and chemical company Evenwood

Yes Ravda. That was Stirks from Staindrop and they ran out of Evenwood

Tyneside

I spotted this vehicle up at West Sleekburn Northumberland near James Haulage yard, any idea of the firm that ran this vehicle ?

North East of firms of today that maybe don’t go that far back, courtesy of Richard Says.
Oily

NE Richard 48250487682_b148e34f46_rs k.jpg

NE Richard 48628142438_b4df99ef17_rs k.jpg

NE Richard 48271458497_15e2d277bb_rs k.jpg

NE Richard 48248897047_f626ed3aa6_rs k.jpg

NE Richard 48127028578_4ae2ce697ars _k.jpg

NE Richard 48115004333_baae311db3_rs k.jpg