Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

A few more.
Oily

NE Richard 33873964314_f09057562f_rs k.jpg

NE Richard 24652397087_e8eb3a485c_rs k.jpg

NE IMG_0606.otJPG.JPG

NE 39346005084_09c00d657a rs _k.jpg

An old snap taken in Sunderland.
Oily

NE  North Eastern Railway Co. in Sunderland. Arthur Cook cc by 2.0 2944015639_3da3481bf9_AC o.jpg

oiltreader:
Oily

An excellent example of the well known Clydesdale (it’s obvious why Albion chose to use the name, what a powerhouse they are) I’m assuming this “rig” is attending a show? (flowers and all) The handler/groom seems to be suffering somewhat from the dreaded “black spot” in an awkward area :wink:

Nice picture post Oily :smiley:

paulycats:

oiltreader:
Oily

An excellent example of the well known Clydesdale (it’s obvious why Albion chose to use the name, what a powerhouse they are) I’m assuming this “rig” is attending a show? (flowers and all) The handler/groom seems to be suffering somewhat from the dreaded “black spot” in an awkward area :wink:

Cheers paulycats :slight_smile: in my early youth Clydesdales were the norm on local farms, the one in the photo is a Shire.
to quote
The most notable difference between the two breeds is in the legs and feet. Clydesdale horses sport special leg hairs called feathers and spats that form a protective fringe over the cannon bone and wick water away from the legs and feet. Their hooves are large and round, and can be as big as dinner plates.
Oily

oiltreader:

paulycats:

oiltreader:
Oily

Cheers paulycats :slight_smile: in my early youth Clydesdales were the norm on local farms, the one in the photo is a Shire.
to quote
The most notable difference between the two breeds is in the legs and feet. Clydesdale horses sport special leg hairs called feathers and spats that form a protective fringe over the cannon bone and wick water away from the legs and feet. Their hooves are large and round, and can be as big as dinner plates.
Oily

My grandfather would have known the difference that you have pointed out Oily. He worked as a groom for the Lord Londonderry estate in Seaham at the time they were renown for breeding champion Clydesdales world wide (1890’s/1900’s). He was offered a job in Australia but turned it down :astonished: I suppose at the time, the only reason you went to Australia was if you were sent there :laughing:

diane:

Lawrence Dunbar:

ROYBO:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Back to Eagle Transport, I remember being in London one day when Skipper Bisset came onto the hill, he had come through the B/W,Tunnel & his windscreen popped, ,He allways cabed it Tsummer or winter, he was pretty tall so he would be a bit cramped in the LAD type cab, so he booked a bed at Tonys in Mansell Street, just up from the hill, Albert Greenwood & lots more Newcastle drivers took the p all night, they even laughed & told him he would get bed sores, But he he took it in good fun, Im hoping he is still about, because he might have photos which I hope he has , but get him on here & he will have us going for sure, great lad was Charlie Skipper Bisset, he had a boat at Ryton, hence the nickname Skipper, Regards Larry

Lawrence, Skipper Bisset was my much older cousin. His real name was John Bisset but for some reason called himself Charlie Bisset. My farther was Charlie Bisset from Ryton & ran tippers from 1930s - 1970s. He told me that John (Skipper) had been a bit of a lad in his time & got into allsorts of trouble. Saddly John passed away about 8 years ago . Also my dad was a great drinking pal with Albert Greenwood & ■■■■ Pulkinhorn at the Jolly Fellows Ryton .Cheers Roy.

Thank you for the info R0YBO, Skipper was a good freind of mines in the old days,when your old man said he was a handfull, he was right, he was a real handfull, he backed down to nobody, Im sorry to hear he has passed away,Im sure a lot of drivers remember him, Regards Larry.

john charlie skipper bisset was my dad, and he told us millions of story’s whilst out on the road!!

More sad news Im afriad, My mate Arthur Lowdon from Seaton Burn passed away on Tuesday aged 89, He was a real gent & would help anybody RIP Arthur Larry & Family.

Kempston:

Well IIRC This Guy was powered by a 4 LW Gardner, Plus it had an Eaton two speed axle, It would run on fresh air no doubt , But I bet the driver wasnt in love with it Eh. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Kempston:

Well IIRC This Guy was powered by a 4 LW Gardner, Plus it had an Eaton two speed axle, It would run on fresh air no doubt , But I bet the driver wasnt in love with it Eh. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

PS I forgot to say this would have been about 1957/8ish, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Kempston:

Interesting info there Larry, as I recall the firm I bought my first two “A” Licences from in 68 & 69, Coward Bros of Sedbergh, had run some Guy four wheelers like that one. One was parked up in the corner of their garage and it had a Meadows engine but they were still running one which had the 4LK and it ran like a little “sewing” machine and the old lad that drove it was their last driver, Tony Hudson, who Tommy Coward kept on until Tony retired in about 1970 or so ( Cattle Waggon man would know). I’m not just sure what happened to the little Guy as I lost touched with Cowards once I got my nose stuck onto the grindstone so to speak ! I did attend Tommy’s funeral about 1971 or so. Cheers Dennis.

J.W.Capstaff, Opened the first drivers truck stop Hotel in T.V.T.E The first of its kind with a licenced bar it was a popular spot and drivers who stayed there that I spoke to reckoned it was spot on, The good old days when being a long haul driver was a pleasure to do IMOO, But its a differant game to-day , Not worth the hassle Im pleased Im retired and taking it easy, But I did enjoy my years in the haulage game , Regards Larry.

Nice little unit that Cappy’s GUY, reminds me of the Seddon we had at Ouseburn with the Scammell coupling and small wheels yet it had the normal coach built cab and if I remember correctly had a 5LW Gardner. Not sure the Capstaff GUY reg no is MNL though Larry looks to be WNL which would put it June to Nov 1962, not easy to see unless you enlarge the pic. Cheers Franky.

Lawrence Dunbar:
J.W.Capstaff, Opened the first drivers truck stop Hotel in T.V.T.E The first of its kind with a licenced bar it was a popular spot and drivers who stayed there that I spoke to reckoned it was spot on, The good old days when being a long haul driver was a pleasure to do IMOO, But its a differant game to-day , Not worth the hassle Im pleased Im retired and taking it easy, But I did enjoy my years in the haulage game , Regards Larry.

Hi Larry hope you are well, I can just remember “Cappys” wagons but where on the TVTE was their yard and was the truck stop on the same site?
Tyneside

Lawrence Dunbar:

Kempston:

When I worked for E.Robson(Gateshead)Ltd, we had three of these Guy Warrior’s, they were four wheel rigids, one of them was in the same reg. series as the JW Capstaff one in the picture- it was MNL 454, the others being KNL 358 and LTY 587. they all had the Meadows 4DC330 4cyl. engine and Eaton 2 speed. The glass fibre wings were forever cracking, due to the vibrations from the engine. Drivers standing on them didn’t help, either! I remember changing a dynamo one one of them- a job made longer because the radiator had to be removed first so that the long bolt under the dynamo could be extracted!

A selection from Armstrong Cork`s " mixed " fleet.

Scan_20180405 (9).png

Scan_20180405 (2).png

Scan_20180405 (4).png

Scan_20180405 (3).png

Scan_20180405 (5).png

Scan_20180405 (6).png

RMC DAF 85 330hp & Twin Splitter, got it at 2 years old & had it for 6 years, loved it.
Based first at Divet Hill Quarry then at the Marine Aggregate plant at Jarrow Wharf

Scan_20180405 (11).png

Scan_20180405 (13).png

Pushrod47, what problems did the Scania 112’s give Armstrongs, you seem to say they were troublesome. We didn’t have any major problems with them at Van Hee, the lift axle motors gave a little trouble due to water getting into the motor box and some battery carrier step frames cracked in places at times but these faults were sorted. I rebuilt a couple of engines but on the whole they performed well enough to later replace them with the 113’s, we even had the next series on order but a Scania rep blabbed to other companies about the six we had bought and Tony Van Hee wasn’t pleased when he heard this so cancelled them and we got ERF’s and Iveco’s instead. I know there are a lot of drivers that think Scania’s are God’s gift but they did suffer faults and defects just like any other motor of the period although I believe they had more positives than negatives going for them at Van Hee’s. Cheers Franky.

franky drove two scanias at van hee both had problems 112 had a twisted block 113 broke the crankshaft, drove a 110 at J&P on lowloader work it had a 12 speed splitter box it never batted an eyelid,cracking motor :unamused: :unamused:

Yeah Jim I don’t think the 2 and 3 series were as good as the earlier models it was those that really put Scania on the map in this country, just wondered if Armstrong’s problems were similar to ours or they had bigger ones, can’t recall anyone complaining about them at the time when we went in there but may just have forgotten over time, we did though have good service back up from Scania we got parts quite quickly compared to other dealers, that helps a bit to get motors back on the road again without too much downtime. Not sure what its like today though Dealers don’t seem as efficient as they used to be. Cheers Jim.