Old livestock hauliers shropshire

great to see the brick bros photos andrew, were the commer and albion photos from thornes?
i have some photos of bricks lorries the F88, 111 and albion reiver must resize and post them up

Hi 143topline, many thanks,yes but ive also got a picture of the Commer new at the Routes factory.it would be great to see some more photos, esp. of the older kit. Dereks F88 was featured in a hardback book once,saw it at once at the Royal Welsh show,but decided to go back and buy it later in the day,got watching the grasstrack bikes & time I got back to the stall it was closed, never seen the book since, should have bought it there and then.Funny thing I remember the auther taking the photos , we had it coupled up to a loaded stock box when he first called and took the first photo,later that day he came back passed and it was coupled up to one of B & J`s gun trailers with a large load of round timber,the guy couldnt beleive his luck & went crazy with the camera.

picture of my own Volvo F10 299 intercooler “Lady Mandy”,wouldnt let anybody else drive her at the time (Dennis Burton being the exception) cracking motor, 16 speed box ,and ran like the wind.(had to have a word with Dennis ,clocked at well over 80 on the motorway. :blush: )
This picture is taken at Padstow airfield,cornwall (parked overnight & what a night) on the morning of the great storm of 1987, sheep were destined for North Wales.
It was a hell of a run, wagons blown over everywhere and almost every road closed by trees or smashed vehicles, had to use the old A38 coast road at one time :imp: . The sheep did get to Hal Hal on time though. :smiley:

heres the albion reiver at craven arms, i really liked the look of these with a 3 deck box

andrew i think i have a photo of the f88 with a load of round timber, i will sort through my albums/ will try to post the livestock ones tomorrow pm

heres a fleet line up at jukes yard outside leintwardine. from left 2 aec marshal , leyland super comet and bedford tk
i can remember seeing the aec NCJ 340G WITH THORNES BOX FOR THE FIRST TIME AT A YOUNG FARMERS EVENT AT THE FARLANDS, LINGEN. I EVEV GOT A RIDE BACK TO LEINTWARDINE!!

Hi 143topline,love the picture,many thanks,not sure who drove it, I know that Derek drove the sixwheelers,lll have to ask him. I would like to see the picture of the F88, I wonder what year it was from,it might of been my load,Derek hated doing anything else apart from the livestock.

Hi 143topline, just thinking about that sixwheeler Albion, I think that this is the stock box that Jim James (Jim Fidler) and Harold Morgan (from Dutlas) extended into a 36ft artic stock box in the early 1970`s ,used to be pulled by the Leyland Badger.

andrew or dave, with reference to the commers am i correct in thinking norman lewis did livestock transport? did not see them at craven arms or ludlow but went to builth market a couple of times and may have seen them there or on the road from knighton

Hi 143,
He certainly did,most of his work was livestock,he had several Commer Maxiloads,before those he had BMC ffk140’s,if I’m right he also ran a tipper on hire to the council. He took the containers off in the summer and hauled bagged slag from Margam. I used to see them down there,they also did quite a bit of hay and straw. I think he packed up through ill health and is sadly no longer with us.
Do you remember Bill Rogers from Llandrindod Wells,he was an owner driver on livestock,ran a red D series Fod,also did bagged slag and fodder in the summer.
Cheers Dave.

hi dave, i remember the name bill rogers certainly. i went to margam with jukes for bagged slag and used to come home looking like coalman (well nearly)

143topline:
hi dave, i remember the name bill rogers certainly. i went to margam with jukes for bagged slag and used to come home looking like coalman (well nearly)

Yep used to see Jukes down there with the TK and the AEC 6 whelers,they were lucky on bagged slag. I was on bulk,and the barstewards would loose it go out of this sock,it was like water,straight up over the sides of the bed of the lorry,then have to shovel about two ton off in an open shed,only did one load of bagged with a tipper,had dropsides,but they played up because the tailboard wouldn’t come off, I said I’ll load it myself,told no,it’s our job you can’t do that,awkward gits. :imp: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Hi ,143topline,just been talking to Derek and the Albion (DFO726) was his, hopefully he is going to log on, he will be able to remember the old days far far better than me,oh the lorry parked next to it might be our Dodge,it had a coregated metal box,dont know who made it,but it ended up at Max Bevans at Aston Bank. I realy like that photo,ive got the ones of the Commer and other Albion framed, do you think that you could send it to my e.mail so that I could copy it and print it out ?
cheers Andrew.

Hi Dave,never had the joy of loading bagged slag out of the shoot,(thank goodness) only loaded bulk slag by bucket out of Abberthaw,mind you the blokes on the weighbridge were as much of a pain, not a gram over 38t. including me sat in the seat,sent me back once to the top of the site (bloody long way) due to being 38t.020, had a good mind to drive back down without tipping any off, recon I lost the extra weight in used Derv. :confused:
regards Andrew.

BRICK BROS VOLVO F88 AT CRAVEN ARMS LIVESTOCK MARKET

BRICK BROS VOLVO F88 AT GARAGE OUTSIDE KNIGHTON WITH LOAD OF ROUND TIMBER

Andrew did you have the f88 from new?

andrew did you have a bedford reg AFO 46? i have a photo of j pugh leyland comet with a bedford with this reg next to it

Hi 143TOPLINE, love the photos,would love to have the one of the F88 at Craven Arms mkt (please), I remember the F88 loaded with logs,by the look of it by the time this was taken she was starting to show signs of the dreaded tinworm and the popriviter from Ludlow had been doing some repairs !.ishe is now missing the sunvisor and the fog lights.I was probally driving her by this time. The tinworm got so bad in the end that you had to strap the passenger door closed to stop in flying open on right hand bends,funny how some things stick in your mind,also always having to carry a spanner to nip up the trailer brakes. No we didnt have her from new,but bought her from Henry Edwards at Tenbury,but it wasnt very old,about 6 months if I remember right,we must have bought Rhys Joness F86 soon after (P reg), dont suppose you have any photos of her ?,we didnt have that one long, soon replaced by XCJ564T,(LB111) Whilst were talking Volvos to answer you e.mail question about A E Jones,, yes the photo I was thinking about was yours,the F88 nearest is a drawbar outfit,cant tell if it was the LHD F89,the furthest one is an artic outfit, prob one of the ones that Norman later conveted into a 6 wheeler by adding a fixed rear axle in the late 70s early 80`s, to go to 38t.,they were fine in the dry but I remember them being a real pain on a climb in the wet !.
Not sure about the Bedford,ill do some homework.
regards Andrew.

IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/■■6/143topline/DSC_3652.jpg[/IMG]
BRICK BROS F88 AT CRAVEN ARMS
is the F12 gerald brttons?IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/■■6/143topline/DSC_3652.jpg[/IMG]