Old livestock hauliers shropshire

alick archer , leintwardine albion clydesdale at llangollen sheep sale

143topline:
the erf b series was j& s a wood from redditch, sheep dealers
photo at bridgnorth mart(old)

thanks for that John. i wandered who’s it was. Another question for you. Where were J. R. Pritchard from? Did you ever take photographs of any of Pugh’s Atki’s?

There is a dvd about alf arrowsmith from market drayton,Ithink he is still working his old motor.

Tonyb

Brilliant photos, lovely to see those old cattle trucks, they bring back lovely memories for me. Anyone got any more to post? I’d love to see some of A.F.Cook lorries from Frampton Cotterell near Bristol. I did thousands of miles with the drivers of this firm when I was a boy & I’ve some wonderful memories from those days.

H.H.Williams from Hardwicke near Gloucester were also a good firm to see at the markets. I’ve watched them load at Glouceser many times, they used to take most of the Bulls & hundreds of barren cows away from there each week.

Harraways from Yatton near Bristol also stick out in my mind, I remember seeing their first artics in Chippenham market back in the late sixties & recall the amazement of the farmers looking at their first Scania 110 with a sleeper cab saying about it having a bed in the cab.

Raymond Webb, David Watts. Stokes, Charlie Brimble. Walter Bye & Son, J Fry from Blagdon. Midland meat packers & Dougie Clay all spring to mind. There were many others but it was a long time ago. I wish I had pictures of them.

I’m so pleased some people had cameras with them & photographed & posted these lovely lorries.

BB

tonyb70:
There is a dvd about alf arrowsmith from market drayton,Ithink he is still working his old motor.

Tonyb

I’ve seen some potos of that lovely Dodge, it was still working when it was featured in a truck magazine. I wonder if he’d mind if pictures were posted of it.

BB

Knighton market,with the Shropshire hills in the background.

Basilbrush:

tonyb70:

Tonyb

I’ve seen some potos of that lovely Dodge, it was still working when it was featured in a truck magazine. I wonder if he’d mind if pictures were posted of it.

BB

Hi,

I saw Alf Arrowsmiths Dodge on the A5 at Gailey last week, its still working and still looks very smart. I would have taken a photo but I was going the other way, plus its a bit tricky on a motorbike :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Norman Jones ran Annow (think it was a anagram for anonymous !.) to get around the restrictive international permits used in the early 1970s, He ran and still runs a cracking fleet of vehicles, the chaps got sence ( big Volvo fan) . I think he used to run a couple of F89 left hookers as well, 330bhp. big power against the home grown atci 180s. my cousin Max Bevan used to drive for him, he now drives a big Scania for Gilders (shame its not a Volvo though !)

DFO 20, Albion Clydesdale lorry & Thornes stock box.

two stroke Commer & stock box,you could always tell when a commer was coming,either uphill or down dale you couldnt mistake them.

HWP45N … 240bhp F88, driven by Derek Brick. Derek was a big volvo fan in those days,his first one was GFO792L,which was a F86 6 legger,which was bought new from Griffin Mill in 1972 I would love to know if anybody has a picture of this truck.

andrew brick:

two stroke Commer & stock box,you could always tell when a commer was coming,either uphill or down dale you couldnt mistake them.

Hi Andrew,
Good pics, I drove a Commer Maxiload for Clarence Griffiths, BFO347D great lorry,only thing with a twostroke,they wouldn’t shaft going downhill,no point in changing dow,but they did have excellent brakes. Norman Lewis of Llanyre had several of them like yours.
Cheers Dave.

XCJ 564 T,274 bhp LB111,driven by Rhys Jones. Our first Scania,dad wanted to buy another F88 but by this time Volvo had stopped making them and dad didnt trust the new F10, after quickly thinking about a Leyland Marathon we saw sence and bought the Scania.
I remember Roy Edwards ( M A Evans and latterly Knighton Trucks) questioning our choice and I remember him saying that Scanias were “nothing but trouble” to be fair at this time he was a big E R F man,the first Scania that Roy had was a second hand 111 driven by Brian Kitchen.
Strange the twists of time !.
Before this Rhys had a P reg F86 unit, good little truck,but to be fair it wasnt quite up to the job,Brian Jones (wiskers) from Presteigne drove this Volvo after Rhys. Rhys did see it still working pulling a tipping trailer inthe late 80`s,but probally long bitten the dust now.
I would love to find some photos of this little Volvo.
ps noice those bloody awlfull mud flaps on the trailer,the laws were changing and Malcom at DVLA Llandod was reading to many leaflets !.but side rails still not needed.

Hi Dave, unfortunatly I never got to drive the Commer,although I well remember it coming down Gwernaffel bank with the brakes squealing well.
(Did loads of miles in the Albions though)

andrew brick:

XCJ 564 T,274 bhp LB111,driven by Rhys Jones. Our first Scania,dad wanted to buy another F88 but by this time Volvo had stopped making them and dad didnt trust the new F10, after quickly thinking about a Leyland Marathon we saw sence and bought the Scania.
I remember Roy Edwards ( M A Evans and latterly Knighton Trucks) questioning our choice and I remember him saying that Scanias were “nothing but trouble” to be fair at this time he was a big E R F man,the first Scania that Roy had was a second hand 111 driven by Brian Kitchen.
Strange the twists of time !.
Before this Rhys had a P reg F86 unit, good little truck,but to be fair it wasnt quite up to the job,Brian Jones (wiskers) from Presteigne drove this Volvo after Rhys. Rhys did see it still working pulling a tipping trailer inthe late 80`s,but probally long bitten the dust now.
I would love to find some photos of this little Volvo.

Perhaps Rhys has some photo’s of it Andrew,although I expect he was like the rest of us,never carried a camera. I remember the F86,good lorries,but I expect they were too light to pull a trailer into some of the farmyards where you needed the weight for traction.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave (sorry)
Yes,good point,ill ask Rhys next time I see him, but you dont have to put any money on his answer !,to bloody busy to P…s about taking photos.
Rhys had FFO 56 J new (Albion) used to do 5 trips to North Devon a week,Derek was doing much the same but with a Albion 6 wheeler.
How long do you reckon that modern drivers,with modern trucks would stick the pace ?

Don’t think they would want to know with livestock,my cousin the late Dennis Lewis from Canon Pyon,who you probably knew,tried to get one or two to drive for him as he had enough work for two lorries,but no one wanted to know,and that was 15 or so years ago.
Cheeers Dave.

Hi Dave, recon your right, mind you thats prob.the reason why im stitting here in front of this computer ( recovering after a back op.)and not twirling a big wheel, doc says ive still got 8-12 months before I can get trucking again,but we will see, cant wait & not much patience !.
Looking at these old photos is starting a mighty big itch !.
dont fancy livestock though,got the T.shirt.
cheers Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
You are doing a great job posting the photo’s,saves me putting the on the Welsh Border thread,have got several recent one’s to post. Take it steady with your back,the lorry driving will still be needed when your sorted.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave , many thanks, trying to think what else I can do to earn a living, but always come back to the trucks,my surgeon did ask why she could smell derv when she was doing the op.! :wink: :wink: