Old haulage companies

What happened to W.H. Cowburn and Cowpar tankers T.Park and Buckleys in Warrington and who was yer man from Tyldesley,green ERF,s used to run trunk from Chapelhall Airdrie and try and keep up with Spalding Haulage(runway 026-near A16 Spalding.

Wasn’t W.G.Davies or Entress Transport by any chance?I used to fill up at both in t’olden days-prob both gone now.Anybody know?

Chris Webb:
What happened to W.H. Cowburn and Cowpar tankers T.Park and Buckleys in Warrington and who was yer man from Tyldesley,green ERF,s used to run trunk from Chapelhall Airdrie and try and keep up with Spalding Haulage(runway 026-near A16 Spalding.

I think that the thread of W H C & C runs into Sadler Tankers, and thence into Stiller. Buckley’s disappeared into all the TDG amalgamation, I believe.

Chris Webb:

dafdave

chris I remember all the firms in particular,cowburns with the old scammells and your man from tyldesley i think was Finneys.

Thanks for info re above.Remember a Spalding Haulage driver bragging he’d done Airdrie-Spalding empty in 5&1/4 hours empty and Finneys night man,an oldish feller ,waiting for his 180 Gardner powered ERF off day man saying"I had a Scania 111 like that and got rid of it". Good answer I thought.
I don’t think W H C&C tanks had landing legs fitted until they got some newer tackle.

Chris Webb:
Thanks for info re above.Remember a Spalding Haulage driver bragging he’d done Airdrie-Spalding empty in 5&1/4 hours empty and Finneys night man,an oldish feller ,waiting for his 180 Gardner powered ERF off day man saying"I had a Scania 111 like that and got rid of it". Good answer I thought.
I don’t think W H C&C tanks had landing legs fitted until they got some newer tackle.

Even quite late (late 80s?) Finney had a couple of LV ERFs (pre A Series) with 180 Gardners on shuntng work, and I recall that they had reg nos with a round number, like 500 or 600G. They were running 2800 DAFs, I think, but shunting trailers from the Lucozade factory ar Little Hulton back to the yard with the ERFs. I have a recollection too that one of the older shunt drivers on the ERFs was one of the Finneys, although I’m open to correction on that.

I,ve trawled all these pages on old companies and come to the conclusion you all must have needed specsavers if you didn’t see any of Robsons of Carlisle all nicely turned out in cream with maroon mudguards and names like border merlin, border. Vanguard, border warrior, border chief the list was endless you couldn’t go up or down the M6 without seeing a rake of em

True. Good colour scheme with me trying to pick the name without killing meself.

The first driving job I had was for a small timber products company they had 3 Bedford tk 4 wheelers 10 ton payload. The brakes were the sevo assisted type that used to make a wolf whistle noise , the handbrake was on a disc on the propshaft I might be wrong but was it me or were they rubbish. I’m only asking cos on a couple of occasions going down the Brighouse hill on the M62 no matter how I nursed them down the hill they would get brake fade and run away you couldn’t stop them they were heavy with dripping wet timber on at the time.

2nd Gen Driver:
The first driving job I had was for a small timber products company they had 3 Bedford tk 4 wheelers 10 ton payload. The brakes were the sevo assisted type that used to make a wolf whistle noise , the handbrake was on a disc on the propshaft I might be wrong but was it me or were they rubbish. I’m only asking cos on a couple of occasions going down the Brighouse hill on the M62 no matter how I nursed them down the hill they would get brake fade and run away you couldn’t stop them they were heavy with dripping wet timber on at the time.

No it wasn’t you, they had crap brakes for anything except running empty. The prop brake was supposed to be a cold brake to help you stop in an emergency and although I never had to use it, I wouldn’t have been too confident.

Hello again PETERM thank god for that I thought it was me now I know they were crap there were other issues with them. If you were over 5 foot 2. Inches tall you had to crank your neck down to see out of the windscreen on a good note you could lift the little side doors to the engine and get under the cab for a ■■■■■ even in the middle of a town so in effect made for rubbish wagons but a bloody good mobile latrine and for curing constipation.

justbazza:

peterm:
What happened to LV Mays of Mitcham. I worked for them late 60’s I think it was.

i to worked for L V MAYS from about 1962 to 1970.i started off as a trailer boy on the low loaderwith a guy called stan woods. he left and i then worked with cyril. dennis duffy was in the office and lenny ran the depot at mitcham. i also remember the roffey brothers. i was lucky enough to get my licence with them.

Sorry about being slightly late with a reply. I can’t for the life of me remember where the yard was. I know it was just round the corner from Bulmers Cider. I also did a bit of shunting back and forth at Merton board mills one day, from the mill to a warehouse about 100 yards away. Can anyone remember where they were?

Thinking of old companies, during 1955 whilst trunking along the A1 between London and Sheffield, an incident happened that has puzzled me to this day. A Rigby Wire trunker pick up a lady of the night and left her in his cab whilst he went for tea in Kates Cabin. When he came out he found that she had defacated on his bonnet and wiped her rear end on his delivery notes. I wonder if he got a clear signature. Bill.

:laughing: That’s his silly bloody fault for leaving her in there.

Bedford hauliers no longer in existence.

A.E.R. Inskip
E. Hull
S. John.
CAEC Howard.
Rogers.
European Plant Haulage
Law sons
B.H. King
K. Watson.

Hiya,
Just trawled through all eight pages and although I may have just missed it
never noticed the old Scottish firm which is still going and I have seen one
today on the A1M near Durham, the outfit that goes back to the 1300s I do
mean, Shore Porters Society of Aberdeen now beat that for “Old”.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Harry, Popped an article on about Shore Porters on page 79 of "Blood,Sweat and Broken China (the removals thread) :wink:

DEANB:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Harry, Popped an article on about Shore Porters on page 79 of "Blood,Sweat and Broken China (the removals thread) :wink:

Hiya,
Thanks for that Deanb I’ll take a looksee.

That shot of the David West Dodge 4 wheeler further back on this site jogged my brain cell as IIRC there was another haulage firm from Dunfermline with similar or maybe identical livery to West’s and again if my memory serves me they were called “Lovat Raine” ? Were they connected to Wests or was it just coincidence ! Hopefully someone on TN will put me right ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
That shot of the David West Dodge 4 wheeler further back on this site jogged my brain cell as IIRC there was another haulage firm from Dunfermline with similar or maybe identical livery to West’s and again if my memory serves me they were called “Lovat Raine” ? Were they connected to Wests or was it just coincidence ! Hopefully someone on TN will put me right ! Cheers Bewick.

Dennis.Do you remember a firm from Dundee called D and D Transport? Apparantly D and D stood for Dusk till Dawn and Dawn till Dusk.Them were t’days. :laughing:
By the way Lovat rings a bell,not sure about the Raine bit.