Old haulage companies

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Just trawled through all eight pages and although I may have just missed it
never noticed the old Scottish firm which is still going and I have seen one
today on the A1M near Durham, the outfit that goes back to the 1300s I do
mean, Shore Porters Society of Aberdeen now beat that for “Old”.

Just found this Harry on Facebook nmp

Chris Webb:

Bewick:
That shot of the David West Dodge 4 wheeler further back on this site jogged my brain cell as IIRC there was another haulage firm from Dunfermline with similar or maybe identical livery to West’s and again if my memory serves me they were called “Lovat Raine” ? Were they connected to Wests or was it just coincidence ! Hopefully someone on TN will put me right ! Cheers Bewick.

Dennis.Do you remember a firm from Dundee called D and D Transport? Apparantly D and D stood for Dusk till Dawn and Dawn till Dusk.Them were t’days. :laughing:
By the way Lovat rings a bell,not sure about the Raine bit.

Hiya Chris aye I remember those D & D Trader 6 wheelers running thro’ Kendal loaded to the gunnels with jute. They had a female boss who went by the “handle” of “Minty”. With regard to the Lovat Raine name I am starting to doubt myself but I will stick to my memory and hope someone from north of the Border can recall the name! Cheers Dennis.

Norseman Freight started life as North West Steel Services and ran Atki Borderers & ERF’s, when Robert Smith took them over they moved onto Merc’s as Robert Smith’s owned Road Range (Merc dealers) Hammond took over Norseman, took what they wanted and wound them down, Ronnie Parker who managed Norseman now owns A.V. Crutchleys (who used to be opposite us in Shore Rd) from Ellesmere Port

What happened to LV Mays of Mitcham. I worked for them late 60’s I think it was.

Does any one anything about a co call R Puddifant from Southend on sea they had Bedford Tks and Bedford Kms they mainly down Tunnel Cement from West Thurrock now lakside and London brick any thing would be great

carna
i remember puddifant also cottis and beckwith who had tk,s and km,s on
the london brick contract.cottis is still going run by cottis son peter.

Hi Loosechange My dad worked for puddifant and cootis just before they moved to purdys way have you or do you no any one who has any photos of Puddifant photos Thanks

240 Gardner:

Chris Webb:
Thanks for info re above.Remember a Spalding Haulage driver bragging he’d done Airdrie-Spalding empty in 5&1/4 hours empty and Finneys night man,an oldish feller ,waiting for his 180 Gardner powered ERF off day man saying"I had a Scania 111 like that and got rid of it". Good answer I thought.
I don’t think W H C&C tanks had landing legs fitted until they got some newer tackle.

Even quite late (late 80s?) Finney had a couple of LV ERFs (pre A Series) with 180 Gardners on shuntng work, and I recall that they had reg nos with a round number, like 500 or 600G. They were running 2800 DAFs, I think, but shunting trailers from the Lucozade factory ar Little Hulton back to the yard with the ERFs. I have a recollection too that one of the older shunt drivers on the ERFs was one of the Finneys, although I’m open to correction on that.

WIm not sure about the old shunt driver being a member of the finney family but you are right about the regs. they all finished in 500.I also think when they closed down one of the bros.ran the continent as o/d in a renault magnum in finneys cols[could be wrong about this]

I don’t know if it’s still there, but around Atherton somewhere there’s a Finney DAF 2800 parked up in front of a house. (Apparently, it’s on the high loads route according to someone who knows)

I went past it a few times and was wondering why it was there. Someone later told me it was parked outside the house of one of the Finney family - who had rejected several offers to buy it.

It was a couple of years ago (at least) since I saw it and it was rough then - does anyone know anymore?

NEJ:
Here are some more to add to the list of " possibly " long gone hauliers !!!
Dobsons of Edinburgh [Dark Green Atkis]
Silver Roadways [Poss. Tate & Lyle of Liverpool]
Edward Derbyshire of Liverpool
Stewart Cameron of Drymen
Motherwell Bridge of Motherwell
Bridges of Leyland [parcel carriers]
Cannings of Leyland [ran red & white AEC Mandators]
Smith & Robinson of Leeds [orange tankers mainly ERF,s & F88,s]
■■? of Sanquhar [can,t remember the name]
Russell of Bathgate [Blue & Grey Atki Borderes & Guy Big J,s]
Russell of ■■? [ Purple F88,s & Atkis]
Gibbs of Fraserburgh
Browns of Grimsby
Humber Mc.Veigh [Green Guy Big J,s]
One other com. that I can,t remenber ran from Burscough nr. Ormskirk to Crieff on trunk up one night and back the next they ran Plain Red Seddon Atki 400 day cabs.
Davidson & Adamson [ Newcastle? ran dark blue Daf 2800,s]
Naylors of Leyland
K&G Transport of Bamber Bridge [owned by Peter Valentine & bought out Kirkdale Lewis Haulage of Liverpool about 1973]
Bolton Roadways
Smiths of Eccles [Red ERF,s]
Harris of Northwich [Maroon & Cream ERF,s flats & tankers out of ICI ]
Beresfords of Stoke on Trent
Atkins of Derby [I think the first british haulier to use Tachos]

hi looking throu your list of companys my farther had brought a rigid 4 wheeler aec with a 505 engine it was an x humber mcveigh lorry and and was green with red wings he brought it at an auction in leeds early 70s it was on a old f plate i think he paid about 250pounds then it went like a rocket it remember it well

harry_gill
hiya does anybody remember holdsworth of rochdale 4 wheeler erfs and a trader boxvan great little outfit paid well worked there in the early 60s but was used to artics which fearings taught me to drive after bob bennet of bacup sent me when there when his work got a bit slack never did get my transfer fee now in my 70s and happily retired thanks. harry.

hiya
blamires? say no more i think they got stopped for illegal vehicles 8 wheelers with a 5th wheel on the back pulling a tandam trailer i believe they where home made i got a start there from killingbecks but one or two of the lads warned me about them the ministry pulled the plug soon after harry

Some more oldies you might remember.

snaylams of bolton
pickups [white commers]
parkers [yellow aec mercurys atkis]
bolton transport[old atkis did mostly containerways flats]

I just revisited the whole thread to remind me of why I started working in transport :stuck_out_tongue:

:question: Edward Derbyshire
Was it Alfred Darbyshire or is that another company?

Did Canning who were J Canning & Son Ltd originally owned by John Fishwick (internet research)also trade as Elizabethan Tankers?

Does anyone remember Alan Seville who ran tankers?
(I dont know him but I know a man who does)

This is another picture that Harry posted earlier of Davis Bros Leyland taken at Gaydon 2008. It carries fleet number 602

[/i]

Its nice to see it again .I had a PC crash a coupla times & lost all of that batch, except for some I had fooled around with.

In addition to all the companies listed heres a few more from my old home town of Leighton Buzzard who have all disapeared over the years.
A.C Biggs Transport (mainly print and ink out of Watford)
Pent Browns ( first company in UK to use Scania Vabis trucks on continental work in the late '60’s
Able Carriers (sold out to ECE Haulage who were eventually swallowed up by Baylis Distribution who now come under the Culina Logistics banner)
Freddie Rays
J A C Bain
Dawson Frieght (now just Volvo Truck and Bus and Dawson Rentals

Wheel Nut:
Did Canning who were J Canning & Son Ltd originally owned by John Fishwick (internet research)also trade as Elizabethan Tankers?

Yes, Canning did use the name of Elizbethan Tankers on the tanks they operated for ICI. When I knew Cannings in the 70s and 80s, they were owned by the Canning family - where did Fishwick’s come into the equation?

240 Gardner:

Wheel Nut:

Yes, Canning did use the name of Elizbethan Tankers on the tanks they operated for ICI. When I knew Cannings in the 70s and 80s, they were owned by the Canning family - where did Fishwick’s come into the equation?

This was my internet research i mentioned.
houghton59.fsnet.co.uk/lanes%2009.htm

The road haulage side of the business, namely ten lorries, was sold to J. Canning and Sons Ltd in 1952, the present small office block being built at this time. The company bought W & H Fowler, a local body builder in 1962, eventually transferring the business to the Golden Hill Lane Garage on Tuer Street. The street was named after a family associated with the Redmaynes who were connected with the rubber industry.

Reading it again, probably means that John Fishwick sold the trucks to concentrate on his coach and bus business.

John Fishwick & Sons
The company was founded by John Fishwick in 1907 as a road haulage company. The first vehicle was a steam wagon made by the then Lancashire Steam Motor Company that later became Leyland Motors. The vehicle was used to haul rubber from Leyland to Liverpool or Manchester at a stately speed of eight miles per hour.

I remember Pentus Brown in the late 60s.They ran some American stuff,Macks maybe,didn’t they? And then it went to H.G.Brown IIRC.

Wheel Nut:

240 Gardner:

Wheel Nut:

This was my internet research i mentioned.
houghton59.fsnet.co.uk/lanes%2009.htm

The road haulage side of the business, namely ten lorries, was sold to J. Canning and Sons Ltd in 1952, the present small office block being built at this time. The company bought W & H Fowler, a local body builder in 1962, eventually transferring the business to the Golden Hill Lane Garage on Tuer Street. The street was named after a family associated with the Redmaynes who were connected with the rubber industry.

Reading it again, probably means that John Fishwick sold the trucks to concentrate on his coach and bus business.

John Fishwick & Sons
The company was founded by John Fishwick in 1907 as a road haulage company. The first vehicle was a steam wagon made by the then Lancashire Steam Motor Company that later became Leyland Motors. The vehicle was used to haul rubber from Leyland to Liverpool or Manchester at a stately speed of eight miles per hour.

Looks pretty much like Cannings bought the O licences which came with the wagons - as was the way back then