Old Edinburgh Hauliers:

Going back a few years there were a number of Transport Companies
in the Edinburgh + Leith Area.
Now there are very few?. Name any you know or have worked for!
Not forgetting the Cafes drivers used: like Shaw’s at the Dock Gates
Also any Lorry/Truck photographs you have to post.

I have in the past worked for Swan/Saddlers Morrison Group Leith.
Cecil Walker & George Baird both Leith. Robert Croan Granton.
Dobson (Edin) Ltd. Pettigrew (Tippers) Edinburgh.
Charles Alexanders Tankers (Leith Depot)
Finally Scomo + Eskside Transport Musselburgh + Broxburn.

My dad worked for Kinneils of Edinburgh he was based in Nottingham

Lawrence Dunbar:

Classic shot of the Atki Larry, 150 LX/6:600/single drive Kirkstall axle do you fancy getting in behind the wheel or what ? Cheers Dennis. PS the Kinneil A series was one if not the first 240 LXB engine ERF.

Here is a pic of Dobson Atkinson Tanker Dobson Fleet back then was mostly Atkinson’s.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Classic shot of the Atki Larry, 150 LX/6:600/single drive Kirkstall axle do you fancy getting in behind the wheel or what ? Cheers Dennis. PS the Kinneil A series was one if not the first 240 LXB engine ERF.

Dennis just load it up & give me a ring & I will be into the cab like a shot, Down the smoke tip & load have a kip & straight back up the old A 1 to Newcastle, The good old days, Never to happen again sadley to say, Its a good job my whiskey stash is full, Otherwise I would be demented thinking about all those great old motors that I had the pleasure of driving, Im old & going bald but I still have all my marbles, & Still enjoy life as it comes, Im taking my good Lady away to Fort William for a dirty weekend at the Caledonion Hotel Im not taking any soap with me :smiley: Im taking the old Jag just to keep it warmed up for the winter, Im expecting 58 MPG, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Dennis just load it up & give me a ring & I will be into the cab like a shot, Down the smoke tip & load have a kip & straight back up the old A 1 to Newcastle, The good old days, Never to happen again sadley to say, Its a good job my whiskey stash is full, Otherwise I would be demented thinking about all those great old motors that I had the pleasure of driving, Im old & going bald but I still have all my marbles, & Still enjoy life as it comes, Im taking my good Lady away to Fort William for a dirty weekend at the Caledonion Hotel Im not taking any soap with me :smiley: Im taking the old Jag just to keep it warmed up for the winter, Im expecting 58 MPG, Regards Larry.

That’s a fair way up Larry, we are going to Edinburgh weekend after next for three days for one of our many wedding anniversary’s, not driving ! First class rail travel from Oxenholme on Virgin West Coast ! Top Hotel,a ■■■■■■■ fortune ! but will enjoy every minute eh! is BHS still open do you know ? :blush: Cheers Dennis.

B H S, I don’t think so Dennis, You will just have to to Genners im afraid, have a nice time with your good lady & spend spend spend, You cant take it with you, Regards Larry.

Scotnat:

Hi “Scotnat” Can you remember John Bryce Haulage? IIRC Their motors were blue , Regards Larry.

Scotnat, This was an Ex Dobsons Motor a tanker, But my cousin who bought it from, Gillons lime spreaders at Perth who converted it to a tipper It had the 150 Gardner engine with, Regards Larry. the David Brown 6 speed box

Lawrence Dunbar:

Scotnat:

Hi “Scotnat” Can you remember John Bryce Haulage? IIRC Their motors were blue , Regards Larry.

Hi Larry Yes I remember John Bryce. junipergreencc.org.uk/jg300-1/bryce.html
Regards Alex (Scotnat)

What about this great firm that’s still going strong J B McBean
We used to do a lot of work with McBeans some cracking drivers who became great personal friends

gazsa401:
We used to do a lot of work with McBeans some cracking drivers who became great personal friends
[/quote]
Here is another one of J B McBean’s

Lawrence Dunbar:
Scotnat, This was an Ex Dobsons Motor a tanker, But my cousin who bought it from, Gillons lime spreaders at Perth who converted it to a tipper It had the 150 Gardner engine with, Regards Larry. the David Brown 6 speed box

Yes good lorry in there day, Dobson had a few 8 wheeler tankers on contract to ESSO.
He also used them for the London Changeover Trunk From Edinburgh for
Scottish & Newcastle when they opened a depot there in the Sixties.
cannot remember how many were on this job but quite few…

gazsa401:

You never saw many 8 wheelers of that reg and year on general haulage ! were they on special traffic that was suited to an eight wheeler flat ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

gazsa401:

You never saw many 8 wheelers of that reg and year on general haulage ! were they on special traffic that was suited to an eight wheeler flat ? Cheers Bewick.

Hiya Dennis if my memory serves me right they had a contract with a paper maker called William Summerville and due to size restrictions the 8 wheelers were the biggest lorries that could gain access to their premises
The 8 wheeler flat was a regular visitor to our yard in Nottingham often back loading with pet food
McBeans were big ERF users and most were Gardner powered [emoji1303]

Just a few more the “C” Series with a Stirlands van on the back

Great thread with immediate interest Scotnat. The time and the place! When I bought my first lorry, a Leyland 4 wheeler, LAD cab, in Biggar, 1969, I borrowed my Uncle’s car and went into Edinburgh to ask for a ‘contract A’ licence. This was in the imposing offices of the Scottish Traffic Authorities, just off Princes’ street.

They couldn’t have been more charming or helpful and I left with my licence.

Bureaucracy, yes, but with a human face!

John.

John West:
Great thread with immediate interest Scotnat. The time and the place! When I bought my first lorry, a Leyland 4 wheeler, LAD cab, in Biggar, 1969, I borrowed my Uncle’s car and went into Edinburgh to ask for a ‘contract A’ licence. This was in the imposing offices of the Scottish Traffic Authorities, just off Princes’ street.

They couldn’t have been more charming or helpful and I left with my licence.

Bureaucracy, yes, but with a human face!

John.

And what did you put in the other licence holder John ? a Guinness Label ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Dennis.