Old Edinburgh Hauliers:

Whwn I was with Allison,s Dundee I seem to remember a mob called Sutherland s who carted sawdust using Fodens (green in color )pulled very high sided trailors… used to catch up at Lawsons cafe Catterick that would be the 60,s also another lot were Croan,s for kippers usually heading for Melton Mowbury to the pet food plant they too used Lawson,s

Bewick:

John West:
Great thread with immediate interest Scotnat. The time and the place! When I bought my first lorry, a Leyland 4 wheeler, LAD cab, in Biggar, 1969, I borrowed my Uncle’s car and went into Edinburgh to ask for a ‘contract A’ licence. This was in the imposing offices of the Scottish Traffic Authorities, just off Princes’ street.

They couldn’t have been more charming or helpful and I left with my licence.

Bureaucracy, yes, but with a human face!

John.

And what did you put in the other licence holder John ? a Guinness Label ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Dennis.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

backsplice:
Whwn I was with Allison,s Dundee I seem to remember a mob called Sutherland s who carted sawdust using Fodens (green in color )pulled very high sided trailors… used to catch up at Lawsons cafe Catterick that would be the 60,s also another lot were Croan,s for kippers usually heading for Melton Mowbury to the pet food plant they too used Lawson,s

Hi “backsplice” Sutherlands were noted for For rollovers on the Bush Bends on the A 69 at Haydon Bridge, In those days, A pall of mine bought some of their trailers when the packed in, Regards Larry.

Scomo was formed in 1970 By Rab Moffat (Fish Merchant) Musselburgh and
Tam Scott ( Ex Manager with Charles Alexander Leith)

Here are Scomo Transport of Musselburgh First 2 Tankers a Foden and Seddon
on contract to John Hudson (London) working out of Gulf Oils Leith Docks.
Another company Eskside Transport Ltd was formed by Scomo in 1974 to Transport
General Cargo and Refrigerated Goods to the Middle East and Fish to Europe.

16Sneddon Tanker.jpg

14Foden2.jpg

Croans used to load Spratts on Union Quay fish dock in Northshields in the 70s, They used to send a lad down to organise the loads which was loaded into special type stillage containers for delivery to Pet Foods Melton Mowbray, He was called Eddie a real nice bloke, The spratts had to be fresh caught for Pet Foods, He used to check them & if they were a bit iffy they were then loaded onto the likes of my tipper or whoever was next on turn for Frazerbrough, Grimsby or Hull Fish meal Plants, They were the days when you could make good money hauling fish, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Scotnat:
Going back a few years there were a number of Transport Companies
in the Edinburgh + Leith Area.
Now there are very few?. Name any you know or have worked for!
Not forgetting the Cafes drivers used: like Shaw’s at the Dock Gates
Also any Lorry/Truck photographs you have to post.

I have in the past worked for Swan/Saddlers Morrison Group Leith.
Cecil Walker & George Baird both Leith. Robert Croan Granton.
Dobson (Edin) Ltd. Pettigrew (Tippers) Edinburgh.
Charles Alexanders Tankers (Leith Depot)
Finally Scomo + Eskside Transport Musselburgh + Broxburn.

Peter Saddlers from Lieth, I used to stay in they same digs when in London, Toneys in Mansell Street near the Royal Mint,They were a great set of lads, We used to go for a drink in The Crooked Billet pub, & The Brown Bear, I had some goods nights along with lots of drivers from all areas, They were good times to say the least but all gone now you couldn’t take a wagon anyway near these places now, Regards Larry.

Scotnat:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Scotnat, This was an Ex Dobsons Motor a tanker, But my cousin who bought it from, Gillons lime spreaders at Perth who converted it to a tipper It had the 150 Gardner engine with, Regards Larry. the David Brown 6 speed box

Yes good lorry in there day, Dobson had a few 8 wheeler tankers on contract to ESSO.
He also used them for the London Changeover Trunk From Edinburgh for
Scottish & Newcastle when they opened a depot there in the Sixties.
cannot remember how many were on this job but quite few…

Here is one of Dobson’s Brewery Contract London Trunk 8 Wheeler.

When I worked for CERT in Warrington they used a company called Thomas Smith Jnr, I think they came from Broxburn ■■? not sure on that came down with Whiskey and back up from Levers in Warrington . Only thing I remember was they from just outside ■■■■■■■■■■■ , bet you guys know better

Boatchaser:
When I worked for CERT in Warrington they used a company called Thomas Smith Jnr, I think they came from Broxburn ■■? not sure on that came down with Whiskey and back up from Levers in Warrington . Only thing I remember was they from just outside ■■■■■■■■■■■ , bet you guys know better

Yes Thomas Smith Jnr Garage was in Pitt Street Leith they did do whisky and were eventually taken over by TDG
like lot of other Scottish companies then they seemed to disappear.

The only company I know from ■■■■■■■■■■■ who did whisky was Inter City Transport they also had a depot in Edinburgh.

gazsa401:
My dad worked for Kinneils of Edinburgh he was based in Nottingham

George Sharp owed Kenneil Transport. I remember them at their garage in Corstorphine,
then they moved to Balgreen both garages in Edinburgh.
When the company expanded they moved out to Broxburn Industrial Estate eventually
George’s son was in charge.
Their main work when I knew them was waste paper to Blackburn. used to see them at the
digs in Garstang. At that time the 1960s it was mostly ERF 4 wheel platforms they had then
like other moved onto artics like this one.

Kinneil's.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

pollock old.jpg

Photograph off old Atkinsons 1, 8 Wheeler and 2 Units
Also a Photograph of Newer Trucks. At the Truck Fest Ingliston.

Pollock Atkis.jpg

lczjs:
Scomo was formed in 1970 By Rab Moffat (Fish Merchant) Musselburgh and
Tam Scott ( Ex Manager with Charles Alexander Leith)

Here are Scomo Transport of Musselburgh First 2 Tankers a Foden and Seddon
on contract to John Hudson (London) working out of Gulf Oils Leith Docks.
Another company Eskside Transport Ltd was formed by Scomo in 1974 to Transport
General Cargo and Refrigerated Goods to the Middle East and Fish to Europe.

14Foden2.jpg

16Sneddon Tanker.jpg

Photographs of Scomo + Eskside Transport. First 2 DAF 2800 Trucks a 4x2 and a 6x4
For Transport to the Middle East and Europe.
Anyone interested in the History of this company check out their Web Pages at:
scomo-eskside.org

Cargo1.jpg

lczjs:

gazsa401:

George Sharp owed Kenneil Transport. I remember them at their garage in Corstorphine,
When the company expanded they moved out to Broxburn Industrial Estate eventually
Their main work when I knew them was waste paper to Blackburn. used to see them at the
digs in Garstang. At that time the 1960s it was mostly ERF 4 wheel platforms they had then

George’s son was called Robert we met up a couple of years ago at a funeral of an ex Kinneil and McBean driver Davy Ritchie (a true gent who taught me a lot )
At Balgreen there was a lemonade factory next door
Can you remember Pentland Transport?
Also another firm i can’t remember their name I think they were from East Calder they always carried animal hides and skins
They used bright orange fly sheets and you could see them from miles away
I’m sure they ran Volvo 86s

gazsa401:

lczjs:

gazsa401:

George’s son was called Robert we met up a couple of years ago at a funeral of an ex Kinneil and McBean driver Davy Ritchie (a true gent who taught me a lot )
At Balgreen there was a lemonade factory next door
Can you remember Pentland Transport?
Also another firm i can’t remember their name I think they were from East Calder they always carried animal hides and skins
They used bright orange fly sheets and you could see them from miles away
I’m sure they ran Volvo 86s

Don’t know about the Lemonade Factory but it is a Taxi Garage now and Farmers Tyres are in the old Corstorphine Garage.

Cannot recall the East Calder company only knew McBean’s out there.

Sonny Swinton owed Pentland Transport at Straiton Penicuik Rd. It was a Garage, Scrap Cars, Sold Cars and Trucks. He had a lot of contracts in the Lothians and Sub-Contracted out a lot of work. He operated mostly Leyland Octopus Lorries. His Ground is now an Asda Store. The house on the other side are still there and some old lorries in the yard at the houses.

John Russell & Son Edinburgh

John Russell & Sons Edinburgh

William Watt

W Watt & Son Ltd was owed by Jimmy Alves and his son Andrew Alves who did a trip to
Tehran in Iran for Cargo International in the Volvo with Eskside Transports DAF see pics.

That CARGO livery is fantastic, especially for ME work! Robert

robert1952:
That CARGO livery is fantastic, especially for ME work! Robert

Yes Robert it was a livery that stood out Dutch Orange it was called.
They were a good company to work for: good payers and good support.
This pic was one of their Advertising Photographs.

Cargo BV.jpg