bygone hauliers

hi all does anyone remember the following, dowells transport ltd new road rainham,drapers tpt grays,davis bros haulage ltd tanks based at the ranch warley essex,basildon haulage owner fred swift hauled coal from the midlands to essex.

I remember Drapers Transport, they ran a nice lookin fleet of Gardner powered ERFs, and some Fiats (Iveco). They used haul alot of paper, remember seeing the neatley roped & sheeted loads going out early in the mornings years ago. They got swallowed up (like so many others) by the Transport Development Group (greedy bxxteds group) in the early 90s, the cream & maroon livery disarpeared, then the firm did.

T.D.G. were responsible for the demise of many a good haulage company !!
Anyone North of the Border know what happened to Inter City Transport from Old Inns ■■■■■■■■■■■ ?
Many years ago they were a “big fleet” – I think they had depots at Leigh and London Colney [could be wrong - usually am]…
I remember them carrying Ford spares [for Alexanders ?], Camp coffee, Carnation milk, Belling electrical goods, Whisky for various distilleries !
All good contracts I would have thought – then T.D.G. - then nothing !!

I heard that their management were caught out in a fiddle and TDG dropped the Inter City name. Inter City was my first job when I left school in 1958, it was at their London Depot, Castle Garage which was situated opposite Holloway Womans Prison, heard some tales there, and the fleet was mainly Leyland 8 Wheelers plus a load of odds and sods including some Albion 8 wheelers with an all metal cab that had been built for the abortive ground nut scheme in Kenya.

My first post. Tony