Old Firms in Oxford Area

Nice to see that Werralls are still trading, I remember the S21 cabbed Foden’s they ran years ago.

Pete.

Good to see this thread revived! Thought it was a gonna, so thanks to Oily. Think Werralls were very big on ERF’s at one time.

Just been given the ok to post these photos from Michael Scott grandson of Chas Scott. This Oxford carrier was nationalised in 1947 the origins of BRS Oxford. Granddaughter Valerie tells me her grandad continued to work for BRS Oxford and was the inventor of the car body shell pallet frame seen in the 4th photo.
The first pic and to quote Michael Scott
Granpa’s original lorry - he bought a couple of ex-Army lorries after WW1, converted them for parcel use, and built up a business carrying goods mostly between Oxford and London. Was lucky to get the contract from Oxford University Press…
Oily

oiltreader:
Just been given the ok to post these photos from Michael Scott grandson of Chas Scott. This Oxford carrier was nationalised in 1947 the origins of BRS Oxford. Granddaughter Valerie tells me her grandad continued to work for BRS Oxford and was the inventor of the car body shell pallet frame seen in the 4th photo.
Granpa’s original lorry - he bought a couple of ex-Army lorries after WW1, converted them for parcel use, and built up a business carrying goods mostly between Oxford and London. Was lucky to get the contract from Oxford University Press…
Oily

Hi Oily. Once again you have come up with some priceless gems,its made my day to see these ,after so many years such photos have been hidden somewhere. As you know i was with BRS OXFORD in the early years and and started with Scotts as it was still known by us then because so many of the drivers were ex Scotts.

One pic was outside the depot in Mayfield rd, our traffic office and workshops . Our parking area was further up the Banbury rd at the University Press using the spare ground around the works,we later moved to Cowley into Hardings depot (Cowley group) a wire fence keeping the two groups separate

toshboy:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Oily. Once again you have come up with some priceless gems,its made my day to see these ,after so many years such photos have been hidden somewhere. As you know i was with BRS OXFORD in the early years and and started with Scotts as it was still known by us then because so many of the drivers were ex Scotts.

One pic was outside the depot in Mayfield rd, our traffic office and workshops . Our parking area was further up the Banbury rd at the University Press using the spare ground around the works,we later moved to Cowley into Hardings depot (Cowley group) a wire fence keeping the two groups separate

I was hoping you would see these Ivor, trust you are well and rarin’ to go now that some kind of normal is coming back.
Cheers
Oily

toshboy:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Eddie & Ivor, hope you are both keeping well. My Dad worked for Scotts when he & Mum moved from London after the War transferring to BRS on takeover, was Dad on there same time as you Ivor?

adr:

toshboy:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Eddie & Ivor, hope you are both keeping well. My Dad worked for Scotts when he & Mum moved from London after the War transferring to BRS on takeover, was Dad on there same time as you Ivor?

Hi Chris, I’m keeping reasonable thanks, nice to hear from you again and thanks to Eddie also . Your Dad Charlie was really my mentor at BRS Oxford, i remember as a young,just turned 21 years and not long out of the Army , the depot manager said " take the Seddon artic to Cowley for unloading ,i said i have never driven an artic before and not keen on it ,artics were not favored by drivers in those days , it was parked nosed in at the University Press .which was spare ground and deep potholes and very narrow to shunt around , well i got into a right mess ,unit rear wheel into a deep puddle and leaning well over having a high load of timber on board ,anyway this driver came over and i asked him to rescue me ,he was an old hand and was your father Charlie Emerson.He gave me a few tips. he got the first new HD ALBION and drag (ex ground nuts specials) so we got on well after that both being cockneys, me from Silvertown and he from Poplar.

There was a great cameradie those days on the road amongst drivers everyone willing to help out regardless of who you worked for , where has it all gone?

toshboy:

adr:

toshboy:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Chris, I’m keeping reasonable thanks, nice to hear from you again and thanks to Eddie also . Your Dad Charlie was really my mentor at BRS Oxford, i remember as a young,just turned 21 years and not long out of the Army , the depot manager said " take the Seddon artic to Cowley for unloading ,i said i have never driven an artic before and not keen on it ,artics were not favored by drivers in those days , it was parked nosed in at the University Press .which was spare ground and deep potholes and very narrow to shunt around , well i got into a right mess ,unit rear wheel into a deep puddle and leaning well over having a high load of timber on board ,anyway this driver came over and i asked him to rescue me ,he was an old hand and was your father Charlie Emerson.He gave me a few tips. he got the first new HD ALBION and drag (ex ground nuts specials) so we got on well after that both being cockneys, me from Silvertown and he from Poplar.

There was a great cameradie those days on the road amongst drivers everyone willing to help out regardless of who you worked for , where has it all gone?

Sounds like Dad Ivor, he had the sharp Cockney wit, but he was a quiet man generally & didn’t waste words or talk crap. In the situation you describe he wouldn’t try to score points or take the Mick, he would offer help & advice. The camaraderie I find has sadly virtually gone now, certainly none where I work, I grew up with Dads Lorries & ‘Olde Skool’ drivers that helped each other & stuck together, God knows what Dad would make of it nowadays!

Ex ivor ex brs austin (Medium).jpg

oiltreader:
Oily

I was continuing this daily service Oxford / London with this Austin BMC 3.4 diesel with an ex Reading BRS Serpells biscuit van in 1957 thereabouts ---- Toshboy

I was wondering if there are any pics of Freemans .They hailed from Uffington, which i believe was originally in Berks ? but is now in Oxon.
They ran Bedford TMs and a few coaches. Having said that ,they may have been a coach firm, that ran a few lorries :confused:

Suedehead:
I was wondering if there are any pics of Freemans .They hailed from Uffington, which i believe was originally in Berks ? but is now in Oxon.
They ran Bedford TMs and a few coaches.

I know who you mean , a small operator like Len Stevens of Charney Basset who i worked for .mid 50s ,and would often cross hire with them .i remember an instance one Sunday night returning home from the south coast and coming across a broken down Freemans near Amesbury with an OB Bedford , i was able to fix him up with my spare petrol pump and got him going . Sorry but i have no pics of them . Toshboy

As regards the BRS lorry with the trailer hanging off the bridge , 80E was Oxford group, transferred in 1951 to 44G Oxford group, this is from Arthur Ingram & Gordon Mustoe’s book, BRS the early Years, 1948 - 1953.

Dieseldog66:
As regards the BRS lorry with the trailer hanging off the bridge , 80E was Oxford group, transferred in 1951 to 44G Oxford group, this is from Arthur Ingram & Gordon Mustoe’s book, BRS the early Years, 1948 - 1953.

Hi Dieseldog 66 , Thankyou for that information ,that clears up the vehicles home base , i was with BRS Oxford 1951 time under 44g but strangely had no knowledge of that accident ,ive always wondered how that could have happened , the Morris’s were dedicated to Pressed Steel on the refrigeration contract ,there were a few of those outfits and fitted with hydraulic pto tail lifts mainly to shop deliveries all over UK .i believe that bridge is somewhere near Alnwick. --toshboy

JAKEY:

I remember H&M delivering BMC spares to an Austin distributor I worked at. When the FJ series were new it seemed that they would invariably need repairs to get them back home. The early FJs really did seem to disastrous!

Dipster:

JAKEY:

I remember H&M delivering BMC spares to an Austin distributor I worked at. When the FJ series were new it seemed that they would invariably need repairs to get them back home. The early FJs really did seem to disastrous!

They delivered to our BMC dealership in Reading as well. One broke down and because it was carrying various Gold Seal replacement engines it was placed in the Police pound for security. Next morning some Mini engines were missing… :wink: Yes the early FJ’s were not good, so many cooling system modifications were brought out that we had a job keeping track of them all. :slight_smile:

Pete.

adr:
Took this in 1989 at Steventon/Abingdon when I was deloivering fuel, anyone know anything about her?

Hi adr, was looking through the tread and remember the cannons yard in Milton, my office in the tnt workshop overlooked their yard…re the Sed Atki in Stevenson, it belonged to Steve ( I think) irlam??, he went on to run some of the VW vans on tnt news fast, along with the taxi firm from Oxford based in Headington
Didn’t Ron peploe also buy the F10 from cannons

steelboyf10:

adr:
Took this in 1989 at Steventon/Abingdon when I was deloivering fuel, anyone know anything about her?

Hi adr, was looking through the tread and remember the cannons yard in Milton, my office in the tnt workshop overlooked their yard…re the Sed Atki in Stevenson, it belonged to Steve ( I think) irlam??, he went on to run some of the VW vans on tnt news fast, along with the taxi firm from Oxford based in Headington
Didn’t Ron peploe also buy the F10 from cannons

Hi steelboy, I’m not sure if he bought the F10? JFH 751V was the F10, my first wagon when I went onto General Haulage at Cannons, she was originally owned by Morris who was an Owner Driver who did work for Cannons, Cannons bought her off him IIRC. Ron Peploe did buy my old F7 off Cannons, VAA 197V.

On a photo shoot with Scania never did make the Scania magazine lol think was one of the first 114’s to go on the road then?

Anyone with info on these: Do you remember Dykes Bros. There dad ran a few coaches from a yard in Cowley, opposite John Allen works, by where the Cowley shopping centre is now. The lads moved into haulage when taking over and later moved out Aylesbury way and had contract with Crendon Concrete I believe. Another firm was Werell’s ( not sure about the spelling. ) Red & Yellow motors, think they also traded as “Wekankarrit” but might have just been a slogan painted on the motors. Then there was Tuckwells, ran mostly tippers, but a few flats on cement & timber, all Bedfords. I had a short spell with them, also Hartwells oils, when they were down Osney. Any info would be much appreciated, or any more you know of. Thanks. :slight_smile:

There you go Big G, I used to load out of Crendon, this load was for Winscale Nuclear Plant, it may have been called Seascale back then.