Old Firms in Oxford Area

Superb pics ADR, I remember when Ron used to park his Turboliner near his house, used to get my mum to drive past just so i could have a look when i was a kid.

I worked with his sister for a few years at Tesco in Didcot, told her about wanted to be a trucker etc etc and he came in one day and gave me loads of polo shirts, pens etc.

100% genuine bloke.

Are the wagons clean enough for you Nathan ? :laughing:

Hi Steve,
Hope you are in the yard every Sunday morning leading from the front with the polishing cloth!
Regards Chris

:laughing: :laughing:

Chris , look on ebay , under BRS truck photos , there is a buffalo which was the sister to Fred Holidays truck , and that high trailer was one of bls in the late 70s /80s . Also there is a brs swindon mercury , fleet code foe Swindon Te and Oxford was Ta , then G for general haulage , c for contract , e for enginering , Y was for yard .
regards JAKEY ( PS TEAS ALLWAYS BREWING IN MY YARD)

Chris , check out the roadtrain on ebay , a636sou , Swindon wagon and the man think that was a Banbury wagon .
Also theBuffalo that was another Oxford wagon .

chazzer:
Hi Lightswitch,
Just wondered if you were still in contact with Bob (the animal) Withey and what he was doing these days, I’ve known him for over 40 yrs and last time I saw him was in Hooky about six years ago and he was driving a machine for someone. Hope they have’t given Bob that new Scania it would be like giving a gorilla a loaded machine gun.
Chazzer

HI Chazzer, Bob packed up the trucks and went driving the plant. Big Diggers.
Then packed that up and he now has a butty van on Enstone airfield he can also be found on a Friday night
selling Fish & chips in Charlbury (Football club car park ) I think.
Had a good chat with him over xmas and he seems to be doing very well !
I think he has turned into a Hairy Biker Cook ! God help us

Has anyone been to Ramthorn Concrete at Hook Norton? Everytime I go there I find something new to look at. So far I’ve spotted an AEC Marshal 6wheeler (bulk feed tipper with blue cab-someone at work reckons a bloke from Chadlington used to own it), Steyr cabbed ERF mini mixer (Ramthorns’ delivery truck), Commer Maxiload (ex Dukes), a Bedford horsebox (that was based on a coach chassis with the intention of it being sold as a motorhome, horsebox, removal lorry) Ford Cargo beavertail, Ford Cargo roadsweeper, numerous old cars and vans and yesterday a Haulamatic dumptruck.

Muckaway:
Has anyone been to Ramthorn Concrete at Hook Norton? Everytime I go there I find something new to look at. So far I’ve spotted an AEC Marshal 6wheeler (bulk feed tipper with blue cab-someone at work reckons a bloke from Chadlington used to own it), Steyr cabbed ERF mini mixer (Ramthorns’ delivery truck), Commer Maxiload (ex Dukes), a Bedford horsebox (that was based on a coach chassis with the intention of it being sold as a motorhome, horsebox, removal lorry) Ford Cargo beavertail, Ford Cargo roadsweeper, numerous old cars and vans and yesterday a Haulamatic dumptruck.

Can you get some pic’s of them Nathan ?

Here’s the Ford Cargo Beavertail, Dave.

The owner’s got a buyer for the AEC and he said he’s got to drag into the open so hopefully next time I go there I’ll get a pic. The Commer and the others are in a barn close together so I’ll have a look when I’m next there. I’ve had a look in the Commer; it’s still in use for moving feed about.

Muckaway:
Here’s the Ford Cargo Beavertail, Dave.

The owner’s got a buyer for the AEC and he said he’s got to drag into the open so hopefully next time I go there I’ll get a pic. The Commer and the others are in a barn close together so I’ll have a look when I’m next there. I’ve had a look in the Commer; it’s still in use for moving feed about.

Be interesting to see those Nathan.I drove a Commer Maxiload it was a great lorry to drive in it’s day.
Cheers Dave.

My Dad drove the Commer model before the Maxiload, although his older brother who worked with us on Smiths until he retired, drove a Maxiload for a mate who had on contract with Birds of Northampton on asphalt out of Sutton Courtenay in the mid '70s.

Muckaway:
My Dad drove the Commer model before the Maxiload, although his older brother who worked with us on Smiths until he retired, drove a Maxiload for a mate who had on contract with Birds of Northampton on asphalt out of Sutton Courtenay in the mid '70s.

Was talking to Paul Griffiths today,he said mate of his recently bought one of Smiths Foden 4000 series artics.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Muckaway:

Was talking to Paul Griffiths today,he said mate of his recently bought one of Smiths Foden 4000 series artics.
Cheers Dave.

Was it this one, Dave?

Apparently been bought by someone who plans to restore it…

Muckaway:

Dave the Renegade:

Muckaway:

Cheers Dave.

Was it this one, Dave?

Quite possibly was Nathan.Paul said about there being two of them.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Cheers Dave.
[/quote]

Muckaway:
Was it this one, Dave?

Cheers Dave.
[/quote]
This is the other one;

This has been robbed for spares but I gather there were still some useable bits left on it. We just ran out of lorries that could use them. Can you let me know what happens to them, particularly the S reg as my Uncle had her from new and said it was brilliant-he only had one crap lorry on Smiths the S39 that pulled wheelies :laughing:

Muckaway:

Dave the Renegade:

Cheers Dave.

Muckaway:
Was it this one, Dave?

Cheers Dave.
[/quote]
This is the other one;

This has been robbed for spares but I gather there were still some useable bits left on it. We just ran out of lorries that could use them. Can you let me know what happens to them, particularly the S reg as my Uncle had her from new and said it was brilliant-he only had one crap lorry on Smiths the S39 that pulled wheelies :laughing:
[/quote]
Will try and remember to ask Paul next time I see him Nathan.
Cheers Dave.

BigG-Unit:

Muckaway:
Don’t forget the time on the water boilers George :smiley:

That was before then Nathan, when I was a whippersnapper! I was only shovelling coal most of the time. Mind you I did have a driver who had just been made up and he used to like having a day back on the shovel which meant I did get to do a bit of driving, although no steering was involved. :laughing: I could tell you about another one who liked to go home early, but perhaps not on here! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Did you drive this 6wheeler when she was based at Oxford, George? :laughing:

She’s still earning her keep (at weekends) and used to do the runs from Oxford to Woodstock, Abingdon and Fairford. Apparently, dust was a problem but it had a great heater. :laughing:
ANORAK MOMENT I’ve noticed that the top feed apparatus has been removed from behind the chimney :blush: and she’s got OXF on the sides (Great Western shed code for Oxford depot)

Muckaway:

Dave the Renegade:

Muckaway:

Cheers Dave.

Was it this one, Dave?

Plans to restore it!!! Whats up with her then, looks a tidy bit of kit to me, I’ll have it!

Unless they meant the W reg, Chris! That’ll need some work. :smiley: There wasn’t anything wrong with the S reg, they just bought a Daf 85 CF unit to replace it, and deemed it surplus to requirements. It would’ve made a great showmans wagon.