Old companys from stoke -on trent

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya lawrence i used to work for harrisons ive driven that little fella. they had a CF bedford and this replaced it… the lorry was mint when it came
she was ex royal navy maybe sat in ashed for donkey’s years. i left and never knew what happened to it…have you a better photo or scan of it you
could print of for Adam Harrison…(grandson of the main man.)
John

3300John:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya lawrence i used to work for harrisons ive driven that little fella. they had a CF bedford and this replaced it… the lorry was mint when it came
she was ex royal navy maybe sat in ashed for donkey’s years. i left and never knew what happened to it…have you a better photo or scan of it you
John

Hi 3300John, maybe Larry will come up with something for you, this to be going on with in the meantime.
Oily

S&O ( Shakeshaft & Oliver ) cheadle on the M54 ,from Roger Pickering .

Punchy Dan:
0S&O ( Shakeshaft & Oliver ) cheadle on the M54 ,from Roger Pickering .

Great stuff Dan, Its stuff like this that keeps this thread alive, Keep them rolling Dan, Regards Larry.

Brooks & Shakeshaft from the Deanb thread .

Hi Robert I am sure the ERF was right hand drive I drove a Fiat 619 for them in the 70s on Middle East and the only left hand drives I ever saw were a couple of Macks they had
regards Sam

Question for the Bassett fans.

Did they ever have any if the first generation Seddon Stratos? (DAF 95 cab) or did they stop using SA at the 4-11?

oiltreader:

3300John:

Lawrence Dunbar:

John

Hi 3300John, maybe Larry will come up with something for you, this to be going on with in the meantime.
Oily

“She was only a coalman’s daughter,but she was nobody’s fuel”,boom,boom!

David

RIP Howard Gorton
Sadly Howard passed away yesterday 25/10/18 .Howard drove for Barry Procter & was the 1st employee to be set on all those yrs ago. previously to then He drove for Neild & Timmis. I have known Howard for most of my life As He & my Dad both drove for Thorleys in the early 60’s.The last time we spoke was at the Sandbach festival where I was showing my ERF .I was very shocked to hear the sad news as once again we have lost another hero to that great transport company in the sky. God bless Howard you will be sadly missed
With deepest sympathy to Bernice & Family
Paul Dulson

Boatchaser:
Did Bassetts have a small depot in Tipton on the corner Locarno Rd. Across the road I think was Triplex Glass ■■?

Just found this post while looking for something else. Yes Bassetts did have a small yard in Locarno Road for a good while up until Round Oak steel closed. It was run by Les …? and had a team of local drivers. They would run steel locally and load trailers with the same for we Tittensor lads to pickup for return. After Bassetts finished there another company with Green Wagons took over but seem to use it more for storage of heavy tooling etc.

Slap Head:

Boatchaser:
Did Bassetts have a small depot in Tipton on the corner Locarno Rd. Across the road I think was Triplex Glass ■■?

Just found this post while looking for something else. Yes Bassetts did have a small yard in Locarno Road for a good while up until Round Oak steel closed. It was run by Les …? and had a team of local drivers. They would run steel locally and load trailers with the same for we Tittensor lads to pickup for return. After Bassetts finished there another company with Green Wagons took over but seem to use it more for storage of heavy tooling etc.

County had the yard after Bassetts until they chucked the towel in around 10/12 years ago

Get this :laughing:

Does anybody appen to have any photos of john Roberts low loaders from silverdale cheers

170 8x4W ERF 8LV Q904 151-32 030590  Roberts J+.JPG
168 6x4A ERF 4LV PEH290F 026-03 100883 RobertsJ+.JPGHi Steve, I have some photographs of J. Roberts vehicles but only one low-loader and two wreckers a Foden and an ERF both 8-wheelers. Bill

170 8x4W Foden S36 225H 151-31 030590 Roberts J+.JPG

A couple of pic’s

GreyStokie:
12Hi Steve, I have some photographs of J. Roberts vehicles but only one low-loader and two wreckers a Foden and an ERF both 8-wheelers. Bill

brill thanks a lot

Chris Webb:
I remember Tideswells from Kingsley S-o-T from years back and they are still going aren’t they? A nicer set of drivers you couldn’t wish to meet when they came into our Maltby depot to do some Tesco/Asda work for us.I might be wrong but I think one of their drivers came in the yard with an “A” series ERF in the late 90s and looked in really good nick -the wagon not the driver :smiley: .A “proper” haulage company,no airs and graces,just got on with the job.I would imagine that they didn’t have a big turnover of drivers there.
Here’s a not very good pic out of a magazine and I think the AEC tanker was on milk work.

My father Jack McNicol was a friend of Herman’s and worked for him in the 50,s he left and went to drive the buses at Berrisfords from Folly Lane,cheddlton.have lots of pics of Jimmys very old buses.but don’t know how to add them. Reading these takes me back.thank you all for sharing…Evelyn

Talking with this lad last week .

Eve:

Chris Webb:
I remember Tideswells from Kingsley S-o-T from years back and they are still going aren’t they? A nicer set of drivers you couldn’t wish to meet when they came into our Maltby depot to do some Tesco/Asda work for us.I might be wrong but I think one of their drivers came in the yard with an “A” series ERF in the late 90s and looked in really good nick -the wagon not the driver :smiley: .A “proper” haulage company,no airs and graces,just got on with the job.I would imagine that they didn’t have a big turnover of drivers there.
Here’s a not very good pic out of a magazine and I think the AEC tanker was on milk work.

My father Jack McNicol was a friend of Herman’s and worked for him in the 50,s he left and went to drive the buses at Berrisfords from Folly Lane,cheddlton.have lots of pics of Jimmys very old buses.but don’t know how to add them. Reading these takes me back.thank you all for sharing…Evelyn

That’s a blast from the past, Eve! Used to pass Berresfords at Cheddleton practically every day when I was working out of Croxden Gravel nearly fifty years ago! I often used to think how I would have loved to have a wander around that yard - there always seemed to be loads of old and interesting stuff lurking in there!

Steve

A selection to keep the tread going, no working pics of working AECs unfortunately. Bill.
198a 6x2A ERF EC11 R950ABA Tideswell 050713-1115.jpg
173 4x2A Atki Borderer 248L 044-34 150784 Tideswell+.JPG
136 8x4R AEC Mam Mjr8 EW9706 044-17 150784 Tideswell+.JPGRe- Herman Tideswell

200b 6x2acu ERF EC11 X569XEX 060818-5102 Tideswell.jpg