Ocado Dordon

kcrussell25:

bald bloke:
I can’t see how a driver would get the sack for hitting the rumble strip there must be some other misdemeanours in there somewhere.

Agreed. Does make me think he hit the rumble strip and triggered the camera and they found he was on his phone

I can’t even see how hitting the rumble strip can trigger an alarm in the office!
But if a company pays office bods to sit there looking at cameras and checking for irrelevant events like that then I wouldn’t want a job there anyway.

Rentadent:

kcrussell25:

bald bloke:
I can’t see how a driver would get the sack for hitting the rumble strip there must be some other misdemeanours in there somewhere.

Agreed. Does make me think he hit the rumble strip and triggered the camera and they found he was on his phone

I can’t even see how hitting the rumble strip can trigger an alarm in the office!
But if a company pays office bods to sit there looking at cameras and checking for irrelevant events like that then I wouldn’t want a job there anyway.

Depends how sensitive the sensors are. My previous employer would only check the cameras if the driver reported an incident else would be there forever

Daytrunker:
Used to have inward facing cameras at poundland with microphones,if the office bods wanted to just look on a laptop to view live feed from the truck anytime they wanted and you wouldn’t know they were watching one of the reasons I left.
Forward facing fair enough but inwards ones nope if they have to do that then I’m not trusted to do my job.

You should have asked them for a copy of their data protection policy. That would have set the cat among the pigeons!

The hour rate is £11something .
40 hour week with ot for hours over 40 .
They do plan you for max hours if you want them .
In cab cameras are very sensitive and log everything , speed, G force , gps , sound . The lot .smoking will see you out the door quick smart as will doing anything other than doing the job by there book .
I worked there for ten years on the vans and seen many hgv drivers come and go . Not many can stick to there rules hence the high turnover .

Lloydie:
The hour rate is £11something .
40 hour week with ot for hours over 40 .
They do plan you for max hours if you want them .
In cab cameras are very sensitive and log everything , speed, G force , gps , sound . The lot .smoking will see you out the door quick smart as will doing anything other than doing the job by there book .
I worked there for ten years on the vans and seen many hgv drivers come and go . Not many can stick to there rules hence the high turnover .

They want the job done but to their rules only :confused: Having a TM watching a drivers every move re speed/location/route just makes the job unpleasant surely. Sending a driver out the door for getting the job done pronto is like a kick in the testículos for having some savvy…

I remember hearing a driver at work say his mate worked for ocado and they got inward facing cameras. His mate said they pulled him in for picking his nose. Gave a verbal warning. So must be live feed capability on them. Which I cannot see the point of.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

This thread is doing that mob a power of good, at this very moment there are dozens of A1 top class drivers busy typing out CV’s in the hope of landing a class job there :unamused:

er no, there comes a point when the only staff who will work there are the ones you don’t want, those who don’t need watching 24/7 wouldn’t touch the place with a barge pole :bulb:

It’s why they like there van drivers progress onto hgv once they pass there tests (have to pay for it yourself) so you are already used to there way of doing things .
The smart drive cameras ain’t live feeds but record 30s before and after an incident .
I did have a meeting with a manager once asking why I drove the length of the m69 on the rumble strip :slight_smile:
The footage it sent via uplink to India the moment you return to site then they look at it and send it to the TM to view if your deemed to be unsafe !!
Picking your break ,yawning driving one handed, touching your phone , so on .

Why…

Did you drive the length of the M69 on the rumble strip? :smiley:

Standard pathetic nannying big brother ■■■■.

Nothing whatsoever to do with safety. It’s about “ensuring compliance” and controlling every single aspect of a worker’s life. It’s a brilliant screw for management though, because you know that if you ever need to fire a driver, you only need to watch their camera until they sneeze, yawn or wave at another driver and boom throw them in the bin. Plus, once you’ve filtered out the drivers who won’t stand for it, the ones who can’t keep to the rules, you’ve got yourself a heard of docile sheep to push around.

SouthEastCashew:

m.a.n rules:
advert on indeed for class 1 drivers, £10.09 an hour, that doesn’t sound like a good package to me…

Based on a 40 hour week… when you have guys doing 50+ hour weeks for 8-9 quid an hour lol

Their van drivers on website show more money for weekend and evening, assuming its the same for their hgv drivers it may well be good-ish pay but only if you dont mind working weird hours?

bald bloke:

He was checking a text… :unamused:

the maoster:

Stanley Mitchell:
Unfortunately its the insurance companies who dictate, and if they say they are going in, they are going in :unamused:

Sorry Stanley but I don’t for one second believe that, I think that you are guilty (as we all are at some time or another) of repeating something you’ve been told that has no basis in fact.

Let’s imagine a scenario where an insurance Co insure a vehicle and require driver facing cameras and a driver in a vehicle insured by them is involved in an accident in which he’d been driving along within the speed limit when suddenly a vehicle pulled out of a side road/ jumped a red light and the camera driver T boned the vehicle. Pretty open and shut case really until the insurance Co review the footage and find out that their insured driver was on the phone. Are they then going to tell the third parties insurance Co that they will stand the cost 'CO’s their driver was using a mobile device? Not on your Nelly are they.

It’s just another myth similar to “you can’t carry passengers 'cos they’re not insured”.

Its the first question LV ask when they grill you on an incident, "was the driver on the phone at the time of the incident".....it doesnt matter that he was on hands free, it goes on the record…I`ve had a couple of bumps where the driver was not at fault, but the question was still asked…

The insurers DO stipulate, as its their risk…

You can see when they flex their muscles, when somewhere has had a break-in, the alarm system is upgraded PDQ along with new electronic gates ect., they aint paying, the poor bugger who has had their business turned over is......improve the security or we will decline the business.....its their M.O., less risk, more profit …

No different with trucks, they need to minimise the risk, and the camera doesn’t lie…or the audio :wink:

I drove a van for ocado for three years. A mate of mine progressed on to class one’s there, this was 2013 and he’s still there now. He enjoys it, good kit, always clean, soon get to know all your drops as it’s mostly other ocado spokes

He works four days and often does a fifth day on overtime. I’m not sure of his pay rate but I too saw them advertising on Indeed this month at £10 an hour which surprised me as that’s van pay there

Two things to note is that you will do alot of weekend work and if the duty managers treat the hgv lads the same as the van lads expect to be in the office for the slightest of things. They are pretty strict. There are alot worse places to work. I left as the nights and weekends were just too much plus the relocation from Coventry to Dordon. You have no life

Well to all those interested in Ocado, I worked there for two years and I can tell you it’s the easiest class 1 job you will ever get, yes they do offer max hours but your break is paid and with overtime you can clear 800+ a week and that on paye, coming from stobarts it would be heaven! No interaction with the load and one drop and back to Dordon in a single 10 hour shift, a double is a Bristol/Knowsley run or perterborough/Milton Keynes. Very easy work but they are super strict on driving standards it’s a bit of a Boy Scout company, overtime rate paid after 40 and holiday based on last so many weeks hours,you get a map and only do 9 different depots. All new mercs but limited to 52,weekend working and some silly start times but very secure job if you are a good boy and keep your head down,full canteen on site at dordon and no pressure to hit a booking in slot, telemetrics are in place but not used aggressively like Dpd! I started in the vans and moved over but as I said attendance is a big thing there and it’s mainly weekend working, brilliant job to max hours for easy money or just do single runs but on the single runs it’s only 40 hours so low pay. Hardest depot they have is Ruislip/London but make sure you follow the map as they are all 16”4 trailers and your sat nav won’t work down there! if you want a steady plod along job and don’t mind the monotony it’s a good number. I’d say out of all the other places I’ve been Dpd, Euro car parts, Hermes,CEVA/continental tyres/stobarts Royal Mail it’s by far the best.

Did some agency work just across the road - and one of the guys sons work there. Apparently the money is spot on - however, if you run out of hours literally 15 mins from depot they won’t send someone out to recover you. Instead, they have you do a night out. Which isn’t great if it’s a friday night and you have stuff planned.

Vehicles looked pretty spot on. All double deckers. If you didn’t like the job there is plenty around there to get another job pronto.

Looking at some of the varying replies with various opinions,its very much a case of “one mans meat is another mans poison”
Some people want to progress from run of the mill crap outfits, others are quite happy to move from one crap outfit to another.
If your interested in an outfit go and find out by applying and if your lucky enough to get an interview ask your questions and get info straight from the"horses mouth" and make your own mind up.

kcrussell25:

Daytrunker:
Used to have inward facing cameras at poundland with microphones,if the office bods wanted to just look on a laptop to view live feed from the truck anytime they wanted and you wouldn’t know they were watching one of the reasons I left.
Forward facing fair enough but inwards ones nope if they have to do that then I’m not trusted to do my job.

You should have asked them for a copy of their data protection policy. That would have set the cat among the pigeons!

Simply request a copy of the company ‘surveillance policy’ as this will inform you on how to obtain all footage involving you personally. This too should be welcomed.

supermatt:
I remember hearing a driver at work say his mate worked for ocado and they got inward facing cameras. His mate said they pulled him in for picking his nose. Gave a verbal warning. So must be live feed capability on them. Which I cannot see the point of.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

YES they are live surveillance cameras, don’t be fooled. I know of drivers sacked for eating and drinking whilst on the move.

slowlane:
Standard pathetic nannying big brother [zb].

Nothing whatsoever to do with safety. It’s about “ensuring compliance” and controlling every single aspect of a worker’s life. It’s a brilliant screw for management though, because you know that if you ever need to fire a driver, you only need to watch their camera until they sneeze, yawn or wave at another driver and boom throw them in the bin. Plus, once you’ve filtered out the drivers who won’t stand for it, the ones who can’t keep to the rules, you’ve got yourself a heard of docile sheep to push around.

You got it spot on there!