Job Offer at Stobarts

Last week was contacted out of the blue to attend assessment/interview at Stobart Automotive Doncaster tramping position Mon to Fri , cut a long story short was offered the position the day after, having thought about it nights away etc not for me so contacted Stobarts to explain they offered me an interview at Sherburn working days Tue to Sat, Interview this morning and they offered me the job.
I’m now trying to get my head around the pay from what i’ve read on here it’s not the best but would like to hear from anyone who works days for them so i can get an idea of what i’m likely to be earning.
7.20 ph Mon to Fri
9.50 ph Sat
10.50 ph Sun

£15 meal allowance
£ 3+ driving allowance per shift after 3 months

Take it and don’t listen to all the Stobart haters, a lad I know after working for a good company, went to stobarts 4 on 4 off and loves it, for a start you don’t see many tatty old wagons on there fleet, I doubt you will be breaking many rules working for them, alright you have to wear a green uniform, who cares and then there is the obvious rubbish off other driver’s, if you don’t try you don’t know.

I want to take it but i’m used to being paid a salary so at the moment i know every month how much will be in my bank at the end of the month and before anyone say’s why are leaving your current job been there 21yrs not for me any more becoming dangerous yes i work in one of our Majesty’s hotels!

Dafman:
Take it and don’t listen to all the Stobart haters, a lad I know after working for a good company, went to stobarts 4 on 4 off and loves it, for a start you don’t see many tatty old wagons on there fleet, I doubt you will be breaking many rules working for them, alright you have to wear a green uniform, who cares and then there is the obvious rubbish off other driver’s, if you don’t try you don’t know.

… and let’s face it you can pay many a bill if you’re in a posh motor!

The pay there is well known so I won’t go into it. It’s poorish money made to sound good by extras that aren’t part of your wage. Depends if that will suit you or not. Personally, it wouldn’t. But you’re not me, and if the job sounds ok to you, then go for it.

Would you take this job if you hadn’t spent 2-3000 quid acquiring a C+E licence?

Yes?

Take it and do speed limits and sit in your cab for 45 minutes every Saturday and Sunday. A not unreasonable 12 hour shift on a Sunday is £126 + £15 meal and £3 driving, a driving bonus for a driver? I get £2 per day for a meal and I get paid to drive in the first instance.

Pay is a lot better than prison officer plus you don’t get attacked anywhere near as often :stuck_out_tongue:

Truckulent:

Dafman:

… and let’s face it you can pay many a bill if you’re in a posh motor!

The pay there is well known so I won’t go into it. It’s poorish money made to sound good by extras that aren’t part of your wage. Depends if that will suit you or not. Personally, it wouldn’t. But you’re not me, and if the job sounds ok to you, then go for it.

There not exactly posh motors there just ordinary wagons, but seen as you appear to have worked there do tell us more about the pay and working conditions.

I work nights sun/thu at Tesco Widnes. Average about 50 hours a week (I don’t do half as many hours as some) and with the allowances etc I take home after tax each week £450+(paid every 2 weeks). No working two weeks in hand, you work two weeks you get paid two weeks. Working out of sherburn I imagine you to be a day tramper? I think they can do anywhere up to 6 trailer swaps a shift on a busy day but that’s only what I heard off the other drivers on the induction. Decent modern kit, no rule bending although I hear some planners may plan a heavy work load (not so at widnes :smiley: ), I’ve been treated good so far, can’t complain about anything although some drivers seem to have negativity in their head before they’ve even given the place a chance. Holiday pay is basic, some places take into account an average over the last 3 months or so for holiday pay, not so with Stobarts it basic 9/10 hours a day. If you can live with that then give it a try, what have you got to lose? Stobarts seem to be busy in general at the minute so can’t see them going anywhere anytime soon.

When people say it’s made better by allowances that arnt part if your wage, for me, I simply look at what goes into my bank each week/fortnight. Not ar$ed if it’s “not part of my wage”, end of the day it’s money in my bank, it’s not like I night out or stop at services to eat, wife does me a packed lunch and I’m home every night (in my case day).

DearBoy:
Would you take this job if you hadn’t spent 2-3000 quid acquiring a C+E licence?

Yes?

Take it and do speed limits and sit in your cab for 45 minutes every Saturday and Sunday. A not unreasonable 12 hour shift on a Sunday is £126 + £15 meal and £3 driving, a driving bonus for a driver? I get £2 per day for a meal and I get paid to drive in the first instance.

Pay is a lot better than prison officer plus you don’t get attacked anywhere near as often :stuck_out_tongue:

Shame you can’t just have the proverbial “Month of Sundays” and be done with it.
I hated working “Office hours” even when the pay in this industry wasn’t as disparate as it has become right now. - This applies to all other driving firms generally, as I’ve not ever worked out of a stobarts yard.

£7.20ph is pish, & what happened to time & half Saturday’s double time Sunday’s? I don’t care how many “extras” you get that pay scale is very poor.

With Stobarts you can pretty much get in as a new driver too ( I know 2 people who have, one fresh out the army and another passed 4 weeks earlier) The money is tosh though, £7.20 on days… id want to do Sun - Thurs nights if anything, £450 - £500 a week is better than the £325 im on now in a warehouse fullltime I can’t see the day rate on stobarts wage going above £400 a week? Don’t they do a bonus if you keep the truck ’ in the green ’ and no harsh braking etc?

I’ve done agency work for Stobart but never worked direct for them.

In my experience, the job is exactly the same as everywhere else I’ve worked - and I’ve worked for a few.

If you want to drive, and want to be a tramper, and they’re close to home for you, then why not.

As I said, I’ve never worked for them direct, but I’ve tramped for a lot of firms, and 1 thing is common, you always take home roughly the same money each week, it’s just dressed up differently.

The only thing that would bother me at Stobart would be the holiday pay, if they don’t pay an enhanced rate after so many hours, how can they not pay you an average for holiday pay? The basic would be really poor, meaning if you have a holiday you’re going to struggle. 45 - 50hrs at £7.20■■

Tarrman:
When people say it’s made better by allowances that arnt part if your wage, for me, I simply look at what goes into my bank each week/fortnight. Not ar$ed if it’s “not part of my wage”, end of the day it’s money in my bank, it’s not like I night out or stop at services to eat, wife does me a packed lunch and I’m home every night (in my case day).

It’s fine until perhaps you need to either take out a mortgage to buy a house or remortgage your current house. Chances are most lenders will only look at your basic absolutely guaranteed amount and not look at bonuses etc you may not get every day when deciding how much to lend you

Tarrman:
Holiday pay is basic, some places take into account an average over the last 3 months or so for holiday pay, not so with Stobarts it basic 9/10 hours a day.

That, as far as I know, is illegal.

gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- … the-basics

telegraph.co.uk/finance/news … error.html

if there was a stobarts near me i would be there tomorrow,did 2 years on agency and it was nice to get in a practically new motor everytime i went in,no knotted greasy air lines,no cab full of crap and crisp packets.bloody long shifts though but a lot of that time standing about waiting.

MikeCunn:

Tarrman:
Holiday pay is basic, some places take into account an average over the last 3 months or so for holiday pay, not so with Stobarts it basic 9/10 hours a day.

If it were illegal we’d know about it. For me I’m guaranteed 45 hours a week (9hrs x 5 days). That would be at my basic rate. No meal allowance etc.

my holiday is paid at 10 hours plus £11.50 a day.

What you have to look at is the pension when you finish work as a prison officer. a mates brother inlaw whos in the same job as you says you retire earlier than most jobs and the pension is very good

Tarrman:
If it were illegal we’d know about it.

Maybe not. John Lewis were paying it incorrect since 1998 according to the article and only found out and changed their system when it was pointed out to them by a new starter.

“The organisation based its holiday pay on the contracted weekly hours for staff. However, the Working Time Regulations legislation states that holiday pay should be based on the average hours and pay collected by staff in the last three months.”

MikeCunn:

Tarrman:

waynedl:
The only thing that would bother me at Stobart would be the holiday pay, if they don’t pay an enhanced rate after so many hours, how can they not pay you an average for holiday pay? The basic would be really poor, meaning if you have a holiday you’re going to struggle. 45 - 50hrs at £7.20■■

That was my understanding too - BUT, I don’t know how weekends come into that because they’re paid at an enhanced rate but are part of their contracted hours■■?