NWH

I think on the face of it it sounds like a good thing for youngsters. How many times have we read posts on here about newly qualified drivers struggling to find a job because they’ve got no experience so they have to resort to taking all the crap agency jobs nobody else wants to do. I applaud the company for trying something different. Ok, the hourly rate isn’t on the high side but to a 20 something year old that’s living at home and is being taught properly about the world of trucking it’s not bad I don’t think.

GOG47:
Got to admire you Eddie for sticking your head above the parapet but if I were you I 'd just leave it now, you’ll be in for a [zb] storm of abuse within a couple of pages! If you gave some of the clowns, sorry “drivers” on here a solid gold bar every week as wages they’d complain it was too heavy

So you just accept stuff on face value do you without question?
Well good luck with that one in this job mate.

As I said this guy may well be 100% kosher,… and if he is fair play to him and his firm, I genuinely mean that.

I doubt if he is arsed about the potential ■■■■ storm you mention,… this is a forum not an advertising billboard, so I’m sure he will be aware of the fact that said format brings about contrary opinions, and I’m sure he’ll be well capable of dealing with us…‘‘clowns’’. :neutral_face:
Cheers for that btw. :smiley:

robroy:
Maybe it’s just me Dave :smiley: ,.as I said ‘‘If something appears…etc etc’’
Being a natural cynic, I always tend to look for real pictures and hidden agendas in this job,.rather than take stuff on face value,.and it has always worked for me.to date.

It’s a fair point you make Rob, being cynical has worked for me too!! :smiley:

robroy:
You know yourself being a fellow ‘old hand’ that this industry and the people who run it, rarely (if ever) do you any favours without some sting in the tail and/or a good kick in the ■■■■■■■■.

Also a fair point Rob, but a look at their website suggests (to me) that it’s a well established and well run business.
Let’s be fair here… how many companies that run 8 leggers operate in the way that NWH do?
We both know that the 8 legger game (either side of the border) is all about tear-arsing around chasing that extra load per day, but NWH strikes me as very different indeed.

robroy:
If I’m wrong,.and this scheme is genuine and 100% beneficial to new drivers, I’ll be the first to take my comments back.
Maybe I’ve done this job too long eh? :laughing:

I don’t think this is about being particularly beneficial to the company or the driver, because I’m seeing it as a pretty far-sighted way of doing things that benefits all sides.

I’m thinking that NWH will gain a committed and loyal workforce and that the drivers will have an employer that they already know has helped them get on the ladder.

So with the third option - do you pay people less whilst they are training? I only ask as I know highly respected companies like Brakes and Eddie Stobart don’t doc your wages whilst they are training you originally if you have your license. At both companies you go out with other drivers and also get shown the company processes - Stobarts even have trainers to help you learn to reverse properly.

GOG47:
a solid gold bar every week as wages they’d complain it was too heavy

I had to lol :laughing: at that one…

EdinburghEddie:
Evening,

Rhys Donaldson.

Evening Rhys. Apologies I realised I didn’t reply. Cheers for answering the questions.

Based off the information you’ve provided, the scheme appears a decent and fair opportunity that practically benefits both haulier and young person who can’t afford the LGV training outlay. Or a young driver unable to find a start without the 2 year experience you mention is a difficulty in the Edinburgh location.

sammym:
highly respectedcompanies like Brakes and Eddie Stobart .

:open_mouth: :laughing:

sammym:
respected companies like…

…Eddie Stobart .

I thought Bullies was the place for comedy :laughing:

robroy:

sammym:
highly respectedcompanies like Brakes and Eddie Stobart .

:open_mouth: :laughing:

That made me :laughing: as well.

As someone that double mans and single mans trucks, I don’t think that’s bad. All I hear is that companies don’t do enough and here’s someone that is doing something. Getting people to see how different office functions work is a great idea, and I d like to hear that the office people go out in a,truck from time to time. :wink:

dieseldave:

robroy:
Maybe it’s just me Dave :smiley: ,.as I said ‘‘If something appears…etc etc’’
Being a natural cynic, I always tend to look for real pictures and hidden agendas in this job,.rather than take stuff on face value,.and it has always worked for me.to date.

It’s a fair point you make Rob, being cynical has worked for me too!! :smiley:

robroy:
You know yourself being a fellow ‘old hand’ that this industry and the people who run it, rarely (if ever) do you any favours without some sting in the tail and/or a good kick in the ■■■■■■■■.

Also a fair point Rob, but a look at their website suggests (to me) that it’s a well established and well run business.
Let’s be fair here… how many companies that run 8 leggers operate in the way that NWH do?
We both know that the 8 legger game (either side of the border) is all about tear-arsing around chasing that extra load per day, but NWH strikes me as very different indeed.

robroy:
If I’m wrong,.and this scheme is genuine and 100% beneficial to new drivers, I’ll be the first to take my comments back.
Maybe I’ve done this job too long eh? :laughing:

I don’t think this is about being particularly beneficial to the company or the driver, because I’m seeing it as a pretty far-sighted way of doing things that benefits all sides.

I’m thinking that NWH will gain a committed and loyal workforce and that the drivers will have an employer that they already know has helped them get on the ladder.

Well said [emoji1360]

I think that one thing we can all agree on is that our industry is through it’s own short sightedness heading into a driver crisis of epic proportions given that the average age of an LGV driver is somewhere north of 138 years old!

So at first glance I’d say that any Co who are actually prepared to invest in a potential workforce are to be applauded surely? I say at first glance 'cos tbh it doesn’t affect me so I’m not particularly interested in whether they turn out to be saints or sinners, time will tell no doubt.

Agree with Albion on showing employees different parts of any business.

When I was gaffer at my old place I used to get the millions if suggestions of how things should be done or asked why did we do things in such and such a way.

I had no issues with explaining why things were done in certain ways and more often than not once someone has seen the reasoning behind something they will understand it in future.

If you are going to do a real apprenticeship start by taking in 16 year olds .Then learn them over a few years all the roles correctly .They may then become planners or drivers .Either way they may have more respect towards drivers than you get now .

Beetlejuice:
If you are going to do a real apprenticeship start by taking in 16 year olds .Then learn them over a few years all the roles correctly .They may then become planners or drivers .Either way they may have more respect towards drivers than you get now .

Surely you need people with a driving licence (car) as a minimum requirement?

Respect was a two way thing when I was young?

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

Sorry but no.They should fund all licences .
Why do these people want cheap drivers without
Giving much back.The transport industry is a mess due to no decent training “IMO” .if they want to start with apprenticeships start from office based to drivers mate then driving.And not just one year apprenticeships .

Beetlejuice:

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

Giving much back.The transport industry is a mess due to no decent training “IMO” .if they want to start with apprenticeships start from office based to drivers mate then driving.And not just one year apprenticeships .

So you want companies to pay for young people’s car licences as well?

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

So you want companies to pay for young people’s car licences as well?

No i just said that to trigger you .

:unamused:

l3ol6.gif

Nice

“Triggering” is mentioned on here a few times :laughing: . I googled it and it’s an Americanism that young uns seem to like inflicting on each other.

Basically from what I can make out, it’s just the much maligned, opposite version of when someone just replies to a point and gets shot down with “racist!” Or “sexist!”. A way of shooting down a response. Common trend these days that one :laughing:

Freight Dog:
“Triggering” is mentioned on here a few times :laughing: . I googled it and it’s an Americanism that young uns seem to like inflicting on each other.

Basically from what I can make out, it’s just the much maligned, opposite version of when someone just replies to a point and gets shot down with “racist!” Or “sexist!”. A way of shooting down a response. Common trend these days that one :laughing:

Well i posted my point ,Very clearly ,he then questioned it minus any kind of point or arguement,
so i injected some sarcasm .
He replied that fast i thought i must of broomed him .

:laughing: