What do you think?

Was taken on by my current employer 7 months ago as a rigid driver on multidrop.

It’s my first job in Haulage, and I know how lucky I was / am, to find a place that would take me on in the first place.

However, after passing my CE in November (06) I have been very patient since we only have one Artic.

I do get occasional jobs on it, but they are very VERY few and far between.

I must have driven it no more than 7 times in 6 months.

But there was always the “chance” of a second artic being set on at our depot when we had the need for it.

I have now been told “aint gonna happen.”
(That’s the back history taken care of.)

Now the question…s…

However… There may well be a Volvo Wag n Drag coming and did I want that?

“You’ll be paid at HGV 1 rate” a massive £7.43ph. (Is that good by the way?)

So, at first I am a tad peed off at this, “that’s not a proper atric” I’m thinking. “I’m gonna be getting a huge 21p an hour wage increase from our company HGV2 rate… Is it worth it?”

“Why the hell do I want to drive that?”

Am I being stupid?

Will I struggle?

I feel like spitting the dummy and staying on my South Tyneside/ Wearside rigid multidrop route.

Ive read the many threads in this forum on the wag n drag subject but havent been able to make my mind up if Im being needlessly snotty over this.

I wish to thank you all in advance for your opinions, I hope one day to be able to help future forum members in the way you help me and others like me, once my experience grows.

1. That’s a good rate for Peterlee, unless it’s all hours with no overtime rate in which case it’s average. It’d do for me in your shoes.

2. Take it. It will count as Class One experience when you’re touting 'round later, and actually having worked with a W&D (as opposed to just doing your test on one) is actually seen as a plus point by many employers since experienced W&D drivers are so thin on the ground (speak from experience here, btw). Ultimately you’ll wind up with more option than you would driving an artic.

Yes, you’ll struggle, but you’ll learn. :wink:

matchbox:
“You’ll be paid at HGV 1 rate” a massive £7.43ph. (Is that good by the way?)

Depends on the area. Down here, probably not. Up in Peterlee - no idea. I will let others comment on that.

matchbox:
So, at first I am a tad peed off at this, “that’s not a proper atric” I’m thinking.

Well, my first thought in response to that was “snob” :wink: :laughing:

If it’s an A-frame W&D, they’re even more difficult to reverse than a standard artic. If it’s a centre-axle W&D, then depending on the conditions, sometimes they’re easier, sometimes more difficult.

matchbox:
“I’m gonna be getting a huge 21p an hour wage increase from our company HGV2 rate… Is it worth it?”

What would you be losing? What’s the downside?

matchbox:
“Why the hell do I want to drive that?”

Why not?

matchbox:
Am I being stupid?

No comment :wink:

matchbox:
Will I struggle?

Probably. It’s only by being tested and learning that we gain experience.

matchbox:
I feel like spitting the dummy and staying on my South Tyneside/ Wearside rigid multidrop route.

I come back to the earlier question - what do you lose? What’s the downside?

If you decide that you don’t want to drive the W&D, are you going to be happier to stay on rigids? Or would you end up leaving in 6 months for a C+E job?

If the former, then turn it down. If the latter, then why not take the W&D job? You might like it. If you don’t, then 6 months down the line you’ll have 6 months’ worth of C+E experience, which will be more useful to you for getting another C+E job than another 6 months’ worth of rigid experience.

matchbox:
Ive read the many threads in this forum on the wag n drag subject but havent been able to make my mind up if Im being needlessly snotty over this.

At face value, from the information you’ve posted, I’d tend towards “yes”. However, there may be other factors that I don’t know about that may make the W&D offer less attractive.

Thanks Guys, in particular for your candour.

What have I got to lose?

It’s Wag n Drag for this lad!!!

Good man. Look out for me on the A19. :wink:

matchbox:
Thanks Guys, in particular for your candour.

Well, you seemed to be about to turn down the opportunity just because it wasn’t exactly what you wanted, without really thinking about whether it was a good opportunity in itself.

From your first post, I got the impression that you wouldn’t be happy sticking with the status quo, so the way I see it, you have three options:

1. Find a new, artic job
  2. Try the W&D job to see whether you like it; this doesn’t preclude choosing the first option if you don’t like it
  3. Stick at the current job, in the probably vain hope that they change their mind and get a “proper” artic or the current driver leaves.

I’ll leave it to you to decide which is the best option for you.

PS: You’re welcome :wink: