DHL Apprenticeship

I have recently applied for a dhl apprenticeship they put through all the way to class 1 c+e its 15 months long anyone worked for them or shed some light. I have got enough money saved for my class 2 but i feel it would offer good experiance. Is it a Yay or nay ?

Thanks in advance.

You can do your C and C+E in less than 2 months so what are they having you doing for 15 months and at what pay

They have you doing courses you get an nvq in driving good vehicle and couple of other things pay is quite good i think for an apprentice start on 8ph the increases once you pass your theory to 8 89ph then once test is passed your on 10ph for thw remainder of the apprenticeship. I see your point obviously 2 months for all of it ag same against 15 months for a tarted up licence perhaps.

Personally I wouldn’t put too much value on the NVQ Truck driving thing.
What part of DHL are you doing the apprenticeship through?

I work for DHL Supply Chain at Gatwick airport, 4 on 4 off at a rate of £11.50 per hour on a 12 hour shift. (Well 11.25 as they don’t pay 45 minutes for lunch) jumping up to £17.25 on overtime on Cat C (Class 2) and they still can’t retain drivers - They’re currently trying to find drivers and will even take on new passes with zero experience.

I don’t know how DHL Supply Chain are like for pay outside the airport but that apprenticeship thing seems an excuse for them to pay lower rates. :frowning:

Makes sense i suppose ive heard some companys hire alot of apprentices just because its cheaper than hiring labourers or mates.
If i take the job it would be out of the gloucester branch dont have a clue what they do out of there.

You reckon i am better off paying for it all my self ?

Also would going through straight to class one be beneficial/ better off ?

Newbies will always hit the experience hurdle, or at least having to have held the license for x amount of time. At least the apprenticeship gets you around that and if you decide to leave it gets you a reference.

The money isnt all that bad. Given that its an apprenticeship its pretty good, better than most get. If it was me before I’d done it all myself, i would have jumped at the chance. Dhl is pretty good work in my experience, easy work. If i were you, i would give it some serious thought. What have you got to lose? Point of fact though, you’re only at the application stage at the moment, worry about making a decision when the offer is on the table. Remember that an interview is as much a chance for you to grill them about the job, terms and conditions, as for them to grill you. They are finding out if you’re suitable for the job, its your chance to decide if the jobs suitable for you.

Ask yourself why DHL are offering it. They’re not a charity!

In my book, much better paddle your own canoe and call your own shots.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

To be honest i do like the sound of being able to do what i want and knowing i wont be in tied in for 2+ years potientally doing work i might not like.

Whats your training prices for all in cat c +cat ce mod 4 mod 2 ?

Thanks for the usefull information.

At the moment, the office are doing some cracking deals so I’m not going to mislead you with the list prices.

Your best bet is to call the office 01623 555661 and sort the deal that suits you best.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: