Northwest Trucks

moomooland:
0Aidley’s of Urmston.

Great photo of Aidleys.
1960s I lived near Aidleys original yard off Grofts Bank Road Urmston. When my hours were up and close to home I would get a lift home. Next morning I would walk to Preistners at Flixton road Carrington or Aidleys Urmston to get a lift back to my lorry. Just noticed Aidleys are on Trucknet viewtopic.php?f=35&t=97316&start=30
Hope you don’t mind if I copy your post to that link.
Regards Kev

Chris Miller Ltd of Preston Atkinson HCK707G Delivering to Thomas Blackburn & Sons Engineering @ Preston.

Chris Miller of Preston.jpg

1966 registered AEC Marshall operated by Thomas Harwood of Bolton.

moomooland:
01966 registered AEC Marshall operated by Thomas Harwood of Bolton.

I suspect there is a good reason for the front sheet not over lapping the back sheet.
Thomas Harwood were a good well respected company and remember many of the drivers but putting names to faces. Regards Kev

kevmorrow:

moomooland:
01966 registered AEC Marshall operated by Thomas Harwood of Bolton.

I suspect there is a good reason for the front sheet not over lapping the back sheet.
Thomas Harwood were a good well respected company and remember many of the drivers but putting names to faces. Regards Kev

Yes there is, see my post on the AEC thread, and Thomas Harwood are still going strong with a very smart fleet. They are the longest established haulier in the Bolton area at nearly 90 years in business.

gingerfold:
Thomas Harwood are still going strong with a very smart fleet. They are the longest established haulier in the Bolton area at nearly 90 years in business.

Here’s a couple more of their motors from back in the 1980’s…

This picture below was taken by Bubbleman when he visited their yard in Bolton back in March 2007.

Hiya,
Does anyone remember Harwood Meggitt transport of Darwen.
thanks harry, long retired.

A few pictures of Pavilion Garage who were based at Whitworth near Rochdale.

Click on any image to view it full screen size.

Thames Trader operated by T Rowley Transport Ltd of Sale seen here in 1964 delivering gas bottles
at the rear of the Piccadilly Hotel on New York Street in the centre of Manchester.

Princess Parkway 1968.jpgA Leyland Octopus operated by John Ancliffe heads along the A5103 Princess Road towards Manchester in 1968.

moomooland:
0A Leyland Octopus operated by John Ancliffe heads along the A5103 Princess Road towards Manchester in 1968.

Paul, Great pictures again…The 3 wheeler Invalid car ahead of the Ancliff Leyland were a regular
site on our roads until perhaps the late 1970s. They were often seen in groups of 3 or 4 on the
staff car parks at Remploy factories. Regards, Ray.

moomooland:
0Thames Trader operated by T Rowley Transport Ltd of Sale seen here in 1964 delivering gas bottles
at the rear of the Piccadilly Hotel on New York Street in the centre of Manchester.

Brings back fond memmories. Mid 1960s many a time we would have a drink in most of the pubs and clubs in Manchester and have a steak dinner at 4 or 5 am all night café on Oxford Road used by most Taxi Drivers. A pal of mines dad run a club called the Hong Kong Club on George Street and if we did not get a lift we would have a leisurely stroll back home to Old Trafford and get to bed about 8 am. I remember Parkers Timber but also there was Parker Rossers not sure if this was a related company situated on Elevator Road Trafford Park next to Spillers Flour mill. Remember Rowleys at Sale and other large company’s such as Bowies of Sale. Reliance Tankers of Broadheath.

I used to meet up with many Ancliff drivers when I worked at Smith and Robinsons Urmston. Your right the Tanker in the above photo was Princess Parkway near Wilbraham Road & Mauldeth Road.
Regards Kev

Thanks for the info and comments Kev.

Regarding Parker Rosser…

Operated by Parker Rosser Ltd timber merchants of Manchester this Mk2 Leyland Buffalo Reg No MRJ 60P was registered new in August 1975.

Driven on a regular basis by Tom Cook it is seen here parked up on Swindon’s county ground lorry park in 1976.

Only three weeks after going into service with Parker Rosser the engine failed and had to be replaced.

Photograph courtesy of Adrian Cypher.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Just… somewhere I have a photo of an Atki 8-legger of theirs

240 Gardner:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Just… somewhere I have a photo of an Atki 8-legger of theirs

Hiya,
Chris the Atki 8 legger was driven by a long time pal of mine Raymond
Longbottom there was an even older Atki 6 legger which I drove for a
short spell what a solid ride that one was it was nicknamed “Iron Billy”
It was still going when I got promoted to an Albion with a Scammell
type coupling which I must admit was a tad more comfy and a lot more
swift, I joined “Billy” after that spell and of course returned to Atki’s
albeit most powered with not very big Percy’s in those days, Meggitt’s
gone Billy’s still gannin.

moomooland:
Thanks for the info and comments Kev.

Regarding Parker Rosser…

Operated by Parker Rosser Ltd timber merchants of Manchester this Mk2 Leyland Buffalo Reg No MRJ 60P was registered new in August 1975.

Driven on a regular basis by Tom Cook it is seen here parked up on Swindon’s county ground lorry park in 1976.

Only three weeks after going into service with Parker Rosser the engine failed and had to be replaced.

Photograph courtesy of Adrian Cypher.

Down to the finest detail of lorry and driver thanks.
There was a subby called Barny Hodgson from Gorse Hill Stretford who carted for Parker Rossers late 1950s to late 1960s. If I recall he had a green four wheeler flatbed Seddon then changed to a Leyland.
I have been retired for 14 years and had not realised trailers are getting much higher. The other morning I had commented to the SPA driver on his tail lift “at what height does he have to take on oxygen”■■
Regards Kev

Hi Kevin Morrow,ýou know me we have corresponded previously, that picture of Rowleys Thames Trader, well I drove that motor when it was brand new, and what a revelation it was compared to my P6 Seddon, when I was contracted to BOC at Worsley, if as the photos says it was taken in 1964 I wouldn’t be in the frame, I was in Canada in the whole of 64.this is pure nostalgia. Happy Days!

kevmorrow:

gingerfold:
Ward & Goldstone 2-Pedal Leyland Beaver. Can anybody identify the Freightliner Terminal?

I used to work out of Trafford Park MIFT and not that Freightliner terminal.
Not sure about Freightliner Leeds at Belle Isle?
Dont think it was Liverpool or Birmingham
Was it Longsight Manchester closed many moons ago ■■?

The YOUTUBE video below was made as a promotional film 1950 to illustrate their Scammell Scarab and well worth a look. just over 20 minutes long.

youtube.com/watch?v=4yR-5bbFivU

or just google scammell scarab promotional film 1950

Regards Kev

From 1966.

p north west.PNG

I remember Robert Walker operating from a very small garage on wythensawe Rd nr the Royal Oak pub, because I lived in the prefabs opposite, they’ve certainly come a long way since those humble beginnings, I think the two Walker brothers married The two daughters of Teddy Broughton from Shady Lane.