Northwest Trucks

H.R.Trevor from Warrington.

warringtonpnw.PNG

Something a little different.

Heaton Norris goods yard Stockport in April 1969 showing a number of Scammell trailers and Karrier tractor
units operated by British Rail.
The picture below, taken at the same time, shows the scene from ground level looking in the opposite direction…

Photographs courtesy of J.W. Sutherland.

moomooland:
Something a little different.
1Heaton Norris goods yard Stockport in April 1969 showing a number of Scammell trailers and Karrier tractor
units operated by British Rail.
The picture below, taken at the same time, shows the scene from ground level looking in the opposite direction…
0Photographs courtesy of J.W. Sutherland.

Great photo of Commer Karriers, I had been in Heaton Norris depot many times in the 1960s. Good bit of Stockport in the foreground.
1940s to 1970s the streets of Manchester were crawling with short automatic coupling trailers. British Rail, BRS at White City, Post office parcels and fortunate to have a Scammell Scarab you could get in and out of any tight spot. Turn on a Tanner. Lewis`s department store Piccadilly had quite a few based at their warehouse distribution depot at Urmston but changed to Ford custom Cabs 1960s. Could be wrong but ex British Rail modernisation Freightliners terminals using 10, 20, 30 and 40 footer containers were a more modern way of carting Rail Freight. I had never driven an automatic coupling but could you release the trailer from a handle in the cab?
A workmate left and got a job at BRS White City and said the pay and conditions were good. The only thing that put me off was driving a Scammell Scrarab was not cool. Like parking a smart Jaguar outside a night club or Bubble car or even worse a Messerschmitt an Orthopaedic Surgeons Dream.
Little bit off the subject, I can remember Trojans Brooke Bonds Tea Trafford Park Chain Driven vans.
Regards Kev

Ward & Goldstone 2-Pedal Leyland Beaver. Can anybody identify the Freightliner Terminal?

Ward & Goldstone.jpg

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
Hipwood and Grundy Regards Kev

Here’s one of their Leyland Octopus tankers pictured of the fuel island at Hipwood & Grundy’s depot at Farnworth.

The driver looks like harry banks?

gingerfold:
Ward & Goldstone 2-Pedal Leyland Beaver. Can anybody identify the Freightliner Terminal?

I used to work out of Trafford Park MIFT and not that Freightliner terminal.
Not sure about Freightliner Leeds at Belle Isle?
Dont think it was Liverpool or Birmingham
Was it Longsight Manchester closed many moons ago ■■?

The YOUTUBE video below was made as a promotional film 1950 to illustrate their Scammell Scarab and well worth a look. just over 20 minutes long.

youtube.com/watch?v=4yR-5bbFivU

or just google scammell scarab promotional film 1950

Regards Kev

William Blythe Ltd Accrington.

So sad what happened to the Wm. Blythe transport operation. The EC in the picture (above) was one of the last intake of their own in-house fleet. After this, it was outsourced in a tender process, which went to Bowkers. As part of the deal, the Blythe transport manager was given the responsibility of speccing up the tractors which Bowker provided for their operations. Bear in mind that the stock Bowker fleet tractor at that time (2004) was a 2nd generation FH Globetrotter 420, you would’ve expected that for Blythe operations, said TM would’ve conformed with that spec & let the transformation happen. But no - this herbert went and deliberately specced flat top FMs. How miserable (bitter & twisted) would you have to be to go out of your way to give drivers an inferior specced motor to the rest of the fleet they were being TUPE’d into? The only upside was the new fleet of Van Hool tanks they pulled - I took pictures of them when they were stood in the yard at Bamber Bridge, and you could see how well built they were. I did hear later that within months, the FMs had been ‘strategically re-assigned to other work’, and the ex-Blythe drivers had got their FH Globetrotters after all. I’ll always remember that bitter (outgoing) TM though…

Thanks for the info Marky

Here’s a shot one of Bowkers Volvo FM12 tractor units Reg No PJ54 XZA you are referring to which was used on the Blythes contract in 2005.
The picture, by the late Peter Davison, was taken on Dunkenhalgh Way, not far from Blythes works at Church Accrington.

Another of the Volvos was PJ54 XZE seen here complete with tanker.

Photograph courtesy of Chris Gardner

William Blythe Ltd ERF EC12

William Blythe Ltd  ERF EC12 P527KBU.jpg

moomooland:

Here’s a shot one of Bowkers Volvo FM12 tractor units Reg No PJ54 XZA you are referring to which was used on the Blythes contract in 2005.
The picture, by the late Peter Davison, was taken on Dunkenhalgh Way, not far from Blythes works at Church Accrington.

0Photograph courtesy of Chris Gardner

Somewhere in the depths of my (now very disorganised) collection) I believe I have these pictures. The first one, I got from Pete on the day he took it - he’d been a bit poorly, so hadn’t ventured far with his camera - to the bottom of Dill Hall Lane, where he took the picture not far from the traffic lights. The second picture was one of a few which were taken to announce that Bowkers had taken over the Blythe transport, which was some time after I’d taken pictures of the very same tank in the yard. Believe me - it wasn’t long before I saw one of those FMs pulling the Bowker BMW car transporter!!

marky:

moomooland:

0Photograph courtesy of Chris Gardner

Somewhere in the depths of my (now very disorganised) collection) I believe I have these pictures. The first one, I got from Pete on the day he took it - he’d been a bit poorly, so hadn’t ventured far with his camera - to the bottom of Dill Hall Lane, where he took the picture not far from the traffic lights. The second picture was one of a few which were taken to announce that Bowkers had taken over the Blythe transport, which was some time after I’d taken pictures of the very same tank in the yard. Believe me - it wasn’t long before I saw one of those FMs pulling the Bowker BMW car transporter!!

I think it was 161 which was in the yard when I visited only last week, Mark - still looking tidy and presumably being used for garage shunting or similar.

I understood that the TM in question was assisted out of the door at Blythe’s but only, as you say, after leaving an unfortunate legacy.

240 Gardner:
I think it was 161 which was in the yard when I visited only last week, Mark - still looking tidy and presumably being used for garage shunting or similar.

I understood that the TM in question was assisted out of the door at Blythe’s but only, as you say, after leaving an unfortunate legacy.

I vividly remember the stress he caused at the time Chris - nobody at Bowkers could understand why he did what he did. I suspect he knew he was being pushed into the departure lounge when he cooked that scheme up. At least one of them survived - in a role it’s probably best suited to - given it’s spec!!

marky:

240 Gardner:

I vividly remember the stress he caused at the time Chris - nobody at Bowkers could understand why he did what he did. I suspect he knew he was being pushed into the departure lounge when he cooked that scheme up. At least one of them survived - in a role it’s probably best suited to - given it’s spec!!

This all took place after I’d left, of course, but I’d heard tell that he was very bitter about the outsourcing (perhaps because his costs had been successfully benchmarked!) and was also anti-Bowker, though that may have been by default.

It was a contract that was being discussed and which I worked on before I left in 2001, though, so it certainly dragged on before they finally took the plunge.

Top photo They do not build them like that anymore? Armoured Car “Marsh Mallow Proof”
Second photo showing an organised ■■■■ up in a brewery!

Regards KEV

Atkinson Leader TRS3666C by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Seddon Diesel 16/4 operated by Edward Sykes of Ashton under Lyne.

transportphotos.com/road/photos

VS01549.jpg

Blundell & Rimmer Haulage Contractors Ltd of Burscough.

2-1.jpgAidley’s of Urmston.