North Africa work

Hope there isn’t to much unrest near you Robert.
Some good photos there, I even think I remember some of places, shame some are out of focus, tags would be good…

Jeff…

What a superb collection of photos Robert, thanks for posting them. I went to Morocco on a motorcycle in the mid nineties and clearly remember all the Breda and JM trucks down there in the port amidst the chaos. Apparently the port has completely changed in recent times with a huge redevelopment project. Used to see Maes trucks constantly when I lived in Marseille, noticed that towards the end of their existence Maes went to sending unaccompanied trailers on the ferry; I heard they used local traction over in Tunisia? They had several drivers based down there in bandit city (Marseille) and curiously their trucks never seemed to suffer from unwanted attention. Here’s a pic of one of their later MAN outfits:

Interestingly as I sat in Bordeaux looking at your photos I noticed a couple of Moroccan artics parked in the AS24 fuel station . . . now it’s them who make the journey across. Good guys, generally very friendly to deal with.

Take care in Cairo.

~ Craig

Craig 111:
What a superb collection of photos Robert, thanks for posting them. I went to Morocco on a motorcycle in the mid nineties and clearly remember all the Breda and JM trucks down there in the port amidst the chaos. Apparently the port has completely changed in recent times with a huge redevelopment project. Used to see Maes trucks constantly when I lived in Marseille, noticed that towards the end of their existence Maes went to sending unaccompanied trailers on the ferry; I heard they used local traction over in Tunisia? They had several drivers based down there in bandit city (Marseille) and curiously their trucks never seemed to suffer from unwanted attention. Here’s a pic of one of their later MAN outfits:

Interestingly as I sat in Bordeaux looking at your photos I noticed a couple of Moroccan artics parked in the AS24 fuel station . . . now it’s them who make the journey across. Good guys, generally very friendly to deal with.

Take care in Cairo.

~ Craig

Thanks Craig. Talking of Marseille, here’s a pic I took of Maes’s old Scania shunter when I was shipping in from Tunisia. Robert

Hi Robert which way did you go to Tunisia?
I heard some guy were going from Marseille, which to me always seemed a long way for a short cut I always went in from Tarpani. Some times I did customs on the dock and other we had to sit in a customs compound. It looked like it used to be some kind of military firing range or excavator training ground. The clearing time varied from a few hours to half a week. On one trip I managed to get the agricultural clearance document in about ten minutes but the rest of the stuff took the rest of the day. Swings and round abouts…

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Hi Robert which way did you go to Tunisia?
I heard some guy were going from Marseille, which to me always seemed a long way for a short cut I always went in from Tarpani. Some times I did customs on the dock and other we had to sit in a customs compound. It looked like it used to be some kind of military firing range or excavator training ground. The clearing time varied from a few hours to half a week. On one trip I managed to get the agricultural clearance document in about ten minutes but the rest of the stuff took the rest of the day. Swings and round abouts…

Jeff…

I don’t know how many routes Breda Transport used but I went via Genova in Italy and Marseille in France. This was partly because we had a depot / warehouse in Genova and trucks would take a load or part-load to Italy and reload for Tunisia. Robert.

Genova; Not my favorite place, I got stuck there of 3 days as they didn’t work in the rain. There was about 30 trucks with me, guy in front of me was from Sweden and he only had 2 pallets, at about 400 kg each.

I was speaking to some Grampian international guys, while we were waiting to clear at Tunis, most of the time they used to ship out of Marseille.

Jeff…

I used to pull for DTS from 94 - 96,

scan0036.jpg

scan0035.jpg

Parked at the Players de Nations with JC and Stevie May, Steve drank him self silly and we had to take him to hospital, what an experience that was.

scan0100.jpg

scan0059.jpg

scan0043.jpg

Great pictures lads,keep posting.

whiplash:
Great pictures lads,keep posting.

yep, I totally agree :smiley:

cheers
gaz

FatboyMark:
Parked at the Players de Nations with JC and Stevie May, Steve drank him self silly and we had to take him to hospital, what an experience that was.

Great pics Fatboymark! They bring some happy memories back. I can identify Dave Clarke, Steve Boulton, Roger Barnard, Stevie Hutt, Jeff Welton and John Chivers in your pics; others I recognise but forget the names. Robert :slight_smile:

Hi Robert, here are a few more

scan0039.jpg

scan0037.jpg

Me & Uncle Tony loading at Casablanca 1998

Not Morocco or Tunisia but in the mid 70’s we were running to Libya (Tripoli and Benghazi) via Genoa delivering equipment for the airports with HG Brown. After a couple of days on the ferries it was time to park the trucks in the customs and be put up in a hotel as drivers were’nt allowed to sleep in the cabs in the port, all at the importers expense, food and drink included which eventually got cut back after this was abused. A trip could take up to three weeks even if you were cleared and unloaded fairly quickly and cleared again to leave empty as the ferries ran quite infrequently but you were in the hotel up until the day of shipping. Even longer when the army attempted a coup which was suppressed and some of the ringleaders rounded up and hanged from the town hall in Benghazi, the sight of the bodies hanging there for several days made you realize how vunerable you could be doing that work and how easy it is to get caught up in a dangerous situation but when you are young it was all about the adventure and far off places.

chazzer:
Not Morocco or Tunisia but in the mid 70’s we were running to Libya (Tripoli and Benghazi) via Genoa delivering equipment for the airports with HG Brown. After a couple of days on the ferries it was time to park the trucks in the customs and be put up in a hotel as drivers were’nt allowed to sleep in the cabs in the port, all at the importers expense, food and drink included which eventually got cut back after this was abused. A trip could take up to three weeks even if you were cleared and unloaded fairly quickly and cleared again to leave empty as the ferries ran quite infrequently but you were in the hotel up until the day of shipping. Even longer when the army attempted a coup which was suppressed and some of the ringleaders rounded up and hanged from the town hall in Benghazi, the sight of the bodies hanging there for several days made you realize how vunerable you could be doing that work and how easy it is to get caught up in a dangerous situation but when you are young it was all about the adventure and far off places.

Not many UK did Libya. If you can did out a picture or two… Thanks for the posting, Robert :slight_smile:

I did 1 Libya for Trans Mondo in 97. Not Good. After that we didn’t go back.

Jeff

Hi all! Some really good photos here!
Did you see any Swedes down there? My friends family company,Stjärnströms international did some work down there.

Reg Danne

Dirty Dan:
Hi all! Some really good photos here!
Did you see any Swedes down there? My friends family company,Stjärnströms international did some work down there.

Reg Danne

Hi Dan

I remember a big Swedish guy turning up in Tangiers with a new yellow FH12 with a spider on the side, pretty sure it was Stjärnströms truck or subbie, nice chap but can`t remember his name. He was in the import park for 2 or 3 weeks as he had problems with paperwork.

Cheers Mark

I used to see Styarnstroms in Tunisia, they were from Upsala or Gavle or somewhere up there. Red with black and yellow, sometimes white trucks. Never had much to do with them.

I also used to see them at ■■■■ near Venice, and Tubifico. On a very hot day one of them sat in his airconditioned cab and watched as I stripped my tilt, on my own, to the last bay. When it was his turn he just pushed a switch and the whole roof slid back. The next thing I saw was him and the floor manager drinking coffee in the office, while I was building my tilt back up.

Insert your own comment here. W…k.r

I’m not saying they were all like that.

Jeff…