North Africa

I dont know much about North African Haulage, Just wondering how far into Africa you’ve been or what were the regular destinations.

look on page 5 of my old ldds and at boyzees algec however you spell it :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Mr 141:
I dont know much about North African Haulage, Just wondering how far into Africa you’ve been or what were the regular destinations.

Hi,
I did Ireland to North Africa for 4 years with Nicky Weaver of Sleaford on contract to John Mann.
Always shipping into Tangier on a bond/“T” Forms as you can only ship into Casablanca if you are TIR.
atfer a 2 hour crossing it was normal to spend a week clearing customs. Then about 5 days up country, going to all destinations Meknes, Casablanca, but you never went any further south than El Jadida.
Terrible job, no sleep plenty of theft and violence.
John Mann only paid £38 per day plus £20 night out. The usual away time was about 21/2 weeks then 2 days off. John Mann has now finished and i believe that all of his work went to Davis-Turner.
Regards Harry Baker

was that delivering the denim from atlantic mills near longford[now closed] by any chance.
i was bringing this to breda transport in holland for onward distrubition to north africa back in the early 90s.
i tried to get the boss to take it on direct as i was sick of going to holland twice a week.
he said his insurance wouldnt cover it,i suppose it was getting done cheaper by breda transport…
would have been nice to go somewhere else other than holland every week.

I think that Tony Bradfield is still doing it , pulling for Davies Turner.

I used to do it for Bergan transport subbing for davies turner. It was 2002 when i finished i think.

Great job loved every minute of it, but it was dam hot at times and if you think msa toilets are bad you have no idea

does anyone have any pictures from when they used to do it, i would love to see some

i have never done it, but would love to have a go, i think maes of belgium are big into it nowadays?

Grampian International Freight still send a truck to North Africa every week.

More south…

70-80’s i know few tentative to open commercial link with direct road transport to Nigeria.
… Trps Chapuis Lyon, TransNiger UK did it with poor success…

On the same periode, South Lybia (InterTIR, Basel), Egypte, Algeria (Wittwer, Neuchatel CH) Chad (Iochum, Marseille) where quite busy in those run…

I have photos alredy posted on my website www.toprun.ch and also some Super8 movie.

Now there is still many companies from Holland, Germany, … Doing Marocco and Tunisia.
just an exemple:
roroschwaiger.at/bildergalerien_en.php?bg=1

Hope this can help

Ferdy

A company called wake bros in hull ( company now no longer), famously did an overland run in the 70s to Nigeria in 3 volvos taking containers out there. they also took a mechanic with them for any breakdowns (which there were many!!!). Including the roof top air con units which broke down!!!
The whole trip was a disaster , Nigeria was eventually reached but most of the goods were broken/ damaged.
They even tried to sell the motors on rather than drive them back, but Nigeria had changed to left hand drive since they left the UK so they struggled to sell em!!!■■. Talk about bad luck.
Needless to say they never tried the trip again and am not aware of another trip that went out there. I have some info and piccys of the trip somewhere. If i can find em i`ll try and put em on here if someone can tell me how to do it!!!

Are Eric Vicks from Gloucester still doing it?
Still says “Europe-North Africa” on there trailers . . . or they old trailers?

Suedehead:
Are Eric Vicks from Gloucester still doing it?
Still says “Europe-North Africa” on there trailers . . . or they old trailers?

i too, wondered about that…
seen it on their trailers, but never actually saw them on the roads in spain, etc?
i’m sure they did. used too see the john mann trucks everywhere, especially on the bilbao, and at balien.
think dts were doing it too. think a guy called phil■■? used too go that way, a londoner, good lad, i’m sure a few of us were weekended at freds a few years back, and went down the chinese on the sat night.

think a portugese firm, do alot of traction for dav turner now on that route, (i think) magnums and premiums, that seem too travel marginally faster than 90 kmh :open_mouth:

Read on Toprun site about a trip by Wake Bros to Nigeria .
regards derek

i just googled eric vick.
all you get is credit reporting companies and biz directories trying to charge you for info.
does my head in.it looks like eric vick hasnt got a website unless its 20 pages down .
i was with one of his drivers a while back,
around june of this year.
i met him near frankfurt in an autohof.
the guy was from cheltenham.
his regular run is germany.
he never said anything about going to faraway places.
i never asked him about this either.
i would think that ev dont go to faraway places anymore.
it would have come up in our conversation.

From memory, a conversation i had with an EV driver a few years ago, he said they did a few trips back in the day, i think Morroco, but he still puts it on the front of his trucks ‘cos it looks good’. Have seen a couple of their new M.A.N’s (including one 07 or 57 plate broken down on the back of a wrecker) but cant remember if they got it written on the front anymore. They still do a reular run as far as i know to Germany for what was Frans Maas at Nettetal .

John Mann became Breda, Breda Transport became MAES and MAES are still busy on the Maroc route. I worked with a couple of Belgians who had recently finished with Maes.

I have seen a couple of Eric Vicks trucks in Meer recently and spent an evening with a driver. I asked about them doing Turkey and he was adamant they had never done it although there are pictures on TN of a Vick motor parked in Oktay :confused:

Did anyone come across Tommo from DTS? :blush:

Hi Mal, as regards Eric Vick doing Middle East I am 99% sure that they did.
I met two of their drivers Dave and Ashley ( an ex army paramedic ) while loading tractors in Brasov, Rumania. They told me that they were on their way back from Istanbul and as they both had belly tanks on, I had no reason to doubt them, this would have been in 1982.The reason that this trip stands out for me is that when we got to Europort to catch the North Sea Ferry the Norstar, (or was it the Norwave ) had been sent to the South Atlantic as the Falklands war had just started, Ashley was a bit concerned that he might be called up as he was still in the reserve.
I seem to think that I saw one of Eric Vicks E.R.F.s at the Mocamp in 1980 but I am not absolutely certain, however I did see one of theirs in Athens once and the driver told me that he had come via the Corinth Canal. :wink:

mushroomman:
Hi Mal, as regards Eric Vick doing Middle East I am 99% sure that they did.
I met two of their drivers Dave and Ashley ( an ex army paramedic ) while loading tractors in Brasov, Rumania. They told me that they were on their way back from Istanbul and as they both had belly tanks on, I had no reason to doubt them, this would have been in 1982.The reason that this trip stands out for me is that when we got to Europort to catch the North Sea Ferry the Norstar, (or was it the Norwave ) had been sent to the South Atlantic as the Falklands war had just started, Ashley was a bit concerned that he might be called up as he was still in the reserve.
I seem to think that I saw one of Eric Vicks E.R.F.s at the Mocamp in 1980 but I am not absolutely certain, however I did see one of theirs in Athens once and the driver told me that he had come via the Corinth Canal. :wink:

That reminds me of Dangerous who told us that he used to do Romania and catch a ferry in Rouen :open_mouth:

I know that Eric Vick did do Turkey but maybe not on a regular run. Can you remember a story in the press about a part timer who drove a truck? He was a vicar driving for Vicks :wink:

Anyway back to Morocco. I wish :wink:

No I didn’t read that story. The only vicar I remember was somebody in Istanbul who had import and export connections with the British Consulate. Stan Warmbold used to call him the Vomiting Vicar but thats another story.

mushroomman:
…Stan Warmbold used to call him the Vomiting Vicar but thats another story.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …well come on Steve, there is always an audience for a story on here mate!!!

And the “vomiting Vicar” sound s like it could be a good one!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: