North Africa work

Hi Robert great photos there keep them coming, just a couple of years after my time. I did a few to Morocco and each time we came back in, customs used to pull our trucks apart, which put a sower note on the end a very wonderful experience. We used to haul used mini excavators south and back load T shirts and and undies out of Fez. We used to see a lot of black Scanias from the Cheltenham area down that neck of the woods.

My first long haul trip,(other than 3 Fraserburgh to Kent a week) was Gasfa in Tunisia doing stuff for the oil and mineral exploration. Full story in my 4th book . ( yes I know it’s a long running joke now but I have found an editor, who’s a bit slow but willing to work with me )

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Hi Robert great photos there keep them coming, just a couple of years after my time. I did a few to Morocco and each time we came back in, customs used to pull our trucks apart, which put a sower note on the end a very wonderful experience. We used to haul used mini excavators south and back load T shirts and and undies out of Fez. We used to see a lot of black Scanias from the Cheltenham area down that neck of the woods.

My first long haul trip,(other than 3 Fraserburgh to Kent a week) was Gasfa in Tunisia doing stuff for the oil and mineral exploration. Full story in my 4th book . ( yes I know it’s a long running joke now but I have found an editor, who’s a bit slow but willing to work with me )

Jeff…

Thanks Jeff! I’ll look out for that book. Robert :slight_smile:

Did you ever run with Swinging Fashions, dark red Daf space cabs on Dutch plates, they used to do lot of stuff out of Fez and Rabat. In later years they ran out of Georgia. I often saw their subbie with his K600 Kenworth in central Turkey. I never knew how he got away with using it as it was always pulling a 13.7 meter garment box. I was told they were a part of Rynart.

Jeff…

robert1952:

Will:
Nice selection of pictures & bought back some good memories… :sunglasses:

Cheers Will - glad you enjoyed them. More to come, Robert.3210

Great photos robert1952. John Shivers now working extremely hard at Sainsbury’s!! Changed days for him after having big adventures to Africa

Jelliot:
Did you ever run with Swinging Fashions, dark red Daf space cabs on Dutch plates, they used to do lot of stuff out of Fez and Rabat. In later years they ran out of Georgia. I often saw their subbie with his K600 Kenworth in central Turkey. I never knew how he got away with using it as it was always pulling a 13.7 meter garment box. I was told they were a part of Rynart.

Jeff…

Sorry Jeff, I don’t remember them and I didn’t see Rynart in Maroc either, though plenty down the road. Robert

colin.f.whitetrans:

robert1952:

Will:
Nice selection of pictures & bought back some good memories… :sunglasses:

Cheers Will - glad you enjoyed them. More to come, Robert.3210

Great photos robert1952. John Shivers now working extremely hard at Sainsbury’s!! Changed days for him after having big adventures to Africa

Cheers mate! I did at least a couple of trips in JC’s flying DAF. Give my regards if you see him. Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
I know that there a couple of older threads for John Mann and Breda Transport, but many of us drove for a number of different outfits going to North Africa - for example, I drove for 4 different operators (Breda Transport, Jeff Welton Transport, Ranjit Transport and CSB) but actually pulled trailers for Breda, John Mann, Davies Turner, DTS and CSB. I did Morocco & Tunisia from 1998 to 2005, with a few gaps doing Europe and Middle-East in between (see Astran thread and Kent Transport thread for my other major inputs). Robert3210

Hi. I used to work for Steve Kidd in Poole driving a DAF 3300 pulling a fridge for Transfresh from Poole. We used to tip Gib then run across to Marakesh for sweetcorn for the Isle of Wight. Also load Kerry foods Kirkby butter and cheese for Ceuta just to the right of Tanger. I can remember a Mr Marsh and son from Dorchester way running an old Renault 365 on with Transfresh as well. Im now retired down in Kent. I don’t have any pics but if I find any ill post them on here.
Best Regards to all of you.

hey, nice way from Touama on to Ouarzazate,but looks much better as 25 years ago on the pics ■■.
In those days the French had a hand before because of their TELMA( propshaftbrake).
Pitty I nearly never made pics of sights and from my lorries.

Cheers Eric,

tiptop495:
hey, nice way from Touama on to Ouarzazate,but looks much better as 25 years ago on the pics ■■.
In those days the French had a hand before because of their TELMA( propshaftbrake).

Cheers Eric,

Well, that Iveco had an excellent engine brake for the descents, but I’d have given my eye-teeth for a 9-speed Fuller instead of that damned Eurotronic nonsense!

By the way,I heard that bomb go off in Cairo this morning as it was close to where I live. I was just lying in bed awake and heard an explosion that could be nothing else but a bomb and I thought oh dear it’s going to be one of those days. No school today because of referendum. Cheers, Robert

robert1952:

tiptop495:

Cheers Eric,

Well, that Iveco had an excellent engine brake for the descents, but I’d have given my eye-teeth for a 9-speed Fuller instead of that damned Eurotronic nonsense!

By the way,I heard that bomb go off in Cairo this morning as it was close to where I live. I was just lying in bed awake and heard an explosion that could be nothing else but a bomb and I thought oh dear it’s going to be one of those days. No school today because of referendum. Cheers, Robert

Well Robert I should do the same to get a old school box. But would go for the Fuller 13 speed or the old Volvo 16 speed,which gave you some play in the lower range with under 280/330hp.

Cheers Eric,

For those who haven’t yet found them, there is a collection of Breda Transport pics from the '90s / 2000s on Youtube posted by Simon ‘Sweaty’ who was the regular driver of one of the Volvo FH12s I posted at the end of page 2. Just go to www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXH1cEMOOQ‎. Robert