Tunisia

I’ve just come back from a great holiday in Tunisia. I saw 1 German truck (Birkhart) and 1 dropped German trailer(Meyer&Meyer) but no Brits why? Is no one going there now?
Parked outside of the ‘White Rose’ factory in Sousse were 2 desert type truck & drags with high square loads (wool?) I couldn’t see the cabs they were parked in the shade. They looked proper desert trucks -bald tyres tanks and boxes strapped to the chassis and covered in dust. The orange and black no.plates had CS before the squiggly writing, any one know where they would have come from?
Gavin

hi mate (love reading your input on this site by the way.) I was talking to a driver who did north Africa up to 2007 and he told me it all comes out in containers now, gone the way of the middle east. CONTAINERS! hope this helps.

Thanks for your support brenics. Containers sound about right I saw quite a few of them.
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I’ve had a look at the reg list, only CS for Czech comes up, although I only remember the CZ for them, maybe an old Czech motor?

Regards,

Mark.

i believe someone on here knows someone who has just been there.

RTH-INTERNATIONAL & GRAMPIAN INTERNATIONAL STILL DO TUNISIA WITH OFFSHORE AND OIL RELATED GOODS FROM ABERDEEN

As everybody else who reads this post I did a search on Google and came up with Norway. A CS registration comes from Romerike. It is a traditional district located north-east of Oslo,

That is not why I am here though. 25 plus years ago I was told by Phil Walker that British Trucks were not allowed into North Africa unless they are LHD. Obviously Maroc disproves this theory, but is there such a law in Algeria, Tunisia, Libya etc?

Phil Walker was an ex Middle East man of some standing and finished his driving career at Harrison / Bellgate

NOT SURE ABOUT LIBYA BUT RTH-INTERNATIONAL DID SOME WORK WITH DIVING GAS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO INTO NORTH AFRICA, THEY ARE ALL R,H DRIVE TRUCKS THEY HAVE A BIG JOB ON AT MOMENT DELIVERING TO LIMASSOL IN CYPRUS WITH OFFSHORE EQUIPMENT

MARK.

Hi… We sold our daf 480 super space,R.H.D. 2 months ago to a owner driver
and he is running to Marrakesh all the time,.approx every 10 days from London.
We ran to Libya,and Algeria in 70’s and 80’s with hanging beef with R.H.D.No trouble…
HH.

Hi all sorry for the slackness, I’ve been working, now I’m going on holiday again :unamused: :unamused:
The number plates were not any European ones I think they were just CS and some squiggly writing, I’m not even sure that they had numbers. They looked to be new while the trucks definatley were not, I wondered if they were some sort of temporary import plate for an African country.
Regarding the question of RHD trucks in North Africa that has been asked somewhere on here, isn’t it Egypt that only allows LHD trucks? I think Saudi probably bans the import of RHD trucks but that is all.
Gavin

Nick Garlick has done 2 trips to Tunisia this year for Grampian Int. One was down fairly close to Libya. All oil company equipment as previously stated.

RTH running to Limassol, Grampian running to Tunisia and on to down near Libya, and O/D`s running to Marrakech!!..its good to hear that some people are still getting to the more unusual destinations!!

Just wish it was me!! :smiley: :smiley:

Did or does anyone get to Egypt and if so which way would you go?

This question was asked before on the old threads but I dont think anyone said that they did it, might be wrong though.

I think the options were a ferry from southern Italy (via Malta??) to Alexsandria or overland from Tunisia / Libya. Someone suggested going around the eastern Med but then you have the problem of transiting Isreal which apparently is a big No No!!

If you were an O/D how would you get there?

Cheers, bullitt.

NOT SURE ABOUT EGYPT BULLIT , I LEFT RTH ABOUT 7 YEAR AGO TO GO WORK OFFSHORE , JUST SEEMED THEIR WAS NO CRACK IN THE JOB ANYMORE, THEIR IS STILL A COUPLE OF OLD HANDS ON RTH JOB AND GRAMPIAN, ONE OF RTH DRIVERS ENDED UP IN EGYPT NOT SO LONG AGO THEY PUT HIM ON THE WRONG FERRY IN CYPRUS AND HE ENDED UP IN EGYPT, I AM WORKING OF EGYPT NOW ON A SUBSEA CONSTRUCTION SHIP LAYING NEW CABLE. DOING 5 WEEKS ON 5 OFF , GOOD NUMER MONEY GOOD AND TIME OFF GOOD PLENTY TIME WITH FAMILY. HAD SOME GOOD TIMES WHEN I WAS AT RTH PLENTY WEEKENDS AT SOME NICE SEASIDE LOCATIONS,
, ON THE OTHER HAND YOU COULD OF BEEN PARKED AT A LAND RIG ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN SOMEWHERE,
CHEERS MARK.

Here at HC WIlson we have sent a couple out to Cyprus over the last few months, one of which came home via Israel. Over the last year we have also been to the all the far flung corners of Europe, Greece, Cyprus, Mallorca, Minorca, Gibraltar, Sweden, Norway, Ukraine, Romania, as well as all the usual regular mainland Europe destinations, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Swiss, Austria, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Czech, Slovakia and Hungary.

HI 141, 2 OF YOUR DRIVERS WHERE TRYING TO TAKE MICKY OUT OF A GUY ONE DAY AT BRIDONS NEWCASTLE BECAUSE HE HAD A SET OF THEM FLAGS IN WINDSCREEN, THE ONES WITH FRANCE GERMANY SPAIN ETC,THEY ASKED HIM IF HE HAD BEEN TO ALL THEM COUNTRIES, HE WAS AN EX M,E DRIVER VERY WELL KNOWN GUY HE HAD ONLY BEEN AS FAR AS PAKISTAN BORDER , HE JUST HAD A WEE CHUCKLE TO HIMSELF AND WALKED AWAY, THE FLAGS WERE A XMAS PRESENT FROM HIS GRANDSON WHO IS TRUCK MAD, ARE WILSONS STILL DOING MUCH WITH HEAVY LOADS ABROAD 141, I WAS WEEKENDED ABOUT 7 YEAR AGO WITH ONE OF YOUR GUYS AT SIMBAS PILOT VANS WOULD,NT LET US GO ANY FURTHER HE WAS GOING TO SOME PAPER MILL I WAS GOING TO CADIZ WITH AN A- FRAME FOR A DIVNG SHIP.
CHEERS MARK

Gavin McArdle:
I’ve just come back from a great holiday in Tunisia. I saw 1 German truck (Birkhart) and 1 dropped German trailer(Meyer&Meyer) but no Brits why? Is no one going there now?
Parked outside of the ‘White Rose’ factory in Sousse were 2 desert type truck & drags with high square loads (wool?) I couldn’t see the cabs they were parked in the shade. They looked proper desert trucks -bald tyres tanks and boxes strapped to the chassis and covered in dust. The orange and black no.plates had CS before the squiggly writing, any one know where they would have come from?
Gavin

We can`t compete, our costs are too high, Tunisia is sown up by Maes from Belgium, M+M Germany, and a french outfit, who I cannot remember for the life of me. They have the volumes from all the low countries + the UK, they get bigger discounts on the very expensive ferries.

They are better placed for the groupage / part load work, we prefer the full load stuff :cry:

M+M are also active in Malta, along with the natives, “Express Trailers” ect. The last time I was in Valletta, there was a Ralph Davies fridge sat all on its own on the dock, it was`nt an old one either, that was 1996 though.

There is a reason why most of the successful “hanging garment” guys have all sold up / got out in the last few years, Mike Daly / DTS, John Mann, SW [James Rae / Summerfield] @ West Hallam, they could all see where the garment game was going to end up.

Like or not, we as a nation are too expensive to employ, you can see by the name plates and flags in foreign cabs, that the drivers are coming from further away, than the actual home of the haulier, it won`t be long before we see a driver getting out for leak at watford gap with full bedioun dessert dress, including his magic carpet slippers :open_mouth:

The only “distance” stuff nowadays is “oil” related, or military gear for another conflict somewhere IMHO

GB. is helping the third world countries compete by selling them hundreds of good
used trailers trucks and fridges for little… English wants to rent or buy new at 3 years…

in the last 2 months we’ve had motors in portugal, cyprus, tenerife, norway and finland - got coming up sardinia, turkey, maybe malta and a definite 3 loads for cernobyl power station :open_mouth: monday just gone we loaded 3 loads to go by road to nizhny pyandzh which is the tajik/afghan border but not with UK drivers, simply not viable, or particularly safe :frowning:

jj72:
in the last 2 months we’ve had motors in portugal, cyprus, tenerife, norway and finland - got coming up sardinia, turkey, maybe malta and a definite 3 loads for cernobyl power station :open_mouth: monday just gone we loaded 3 loads to go by road to nizhny pyandzh which is the tajik/afghan border but not with UK drivers, simply not viable, or particularly safe :frowning:

sounds like you are the one company who can still have a bit fun on the job jj!! its just a pity i enjoy this supermarket work so much or i would beg you for a job :laughing: :laughing:

jj72:

I have to ask who you work for?