No CD slot

citycat:
I still have my original metallic blue Sony Walkman cassette player, when they first came out, in a drawer somewhere. That’ll be worth a few bob one day !

Mrs G was clearing her drawers out the other week ( :open_mouth: ) and came across her old Philips Fizz brick like mobile phone. Reckons its been in her drawers for years, she’s currently having a rummage round to see what else there is in there…

citycat:
I spent ages making up compilation CD’s to play on the road. I’ve had a brand new truck allocated to my run from this week and when I went to put a CD in, there’s no slot in the dash. I happened to mention it to my daughter and she told me I needed a ‘spotted fly’ or something on my phone for music these days. When I asked her how a fly with acne and my Nokia 3210 would work together to give me music, she just rolled her eyes like teenagers do, said "seriously?, and walked out the door. Absolutely no respect from the kids these days.

Anyway, what’s the deal? Do new trucks not come with cd players anymore? And where do I find a spotted fly?

citycat you have my sympathy ,yes some trucks do still have a cd player ,think it may have to be specced ,but my 2015 alfa has the cd player as standard …heaven …even though have an I pod rarely used as I enjoy just poping a cd in .

My 2017 E Class has a CD player but really CD’s are dead. I have 700 tracks plus on my Road playlist on Spotify. I’ve used all sorts of methods to collect my phone to stereo systems, AUX leads, USB, Blutooth, FM transmitters etc. Why bother with hundreds of CD’s when its all available to me on one device.

You are 100% correct Radar ,I just am too lay and will just pop a cd in

Radar19:
My 2017 E Class has a CD player but really CD’s are dead. I have 700 tracks plus on my Road playlist on Spotify. I’ve used all sorts of methods to collect my phone to stereo systems, AUX leads, USB, Blutooth, FM transmitters etc. Why bother with hundreds of CD’s when its all available to me on one device.

If it’s dependent of using a mobile phone it’s predictable what will happen to data charges at least when they’ve captured the market.Added to by the fact that Spotify isn’t free ? and that will probably only go the same way when they’ve cornered their respective bit of it.Bearing in mind that there also seems to be a similar push to make land phone lines obsolete it all seems a bit too convenient for the respective providers.It seems clear that there was a much larger role for the ‘free’ music consumer market during the days of cassettes and that obviously carried on in the case of recordable CD’s and the agenda here seems to be all about taking out that sector and making people more dependent on stuff that they will eventually have to pay ( a lot ) for and which before was effectively free.On that note no surprise how difficult they make it to get HDMI inputs on recordable DVD/CD type devices for example and no SCART output on computers either. :bulb:

You do know that Aux sockets and usb are not standard on MAN trucks don’t you

fingermissing:

I’ve both on my 65 plate TGX XXL as well as blutooth audio streaming.

Radar19:

fingermissing:

snob :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Carryfast:

Radar19:

If it’s dependent of using a mobile phone it’s predictable what will happen to data charges at least when they’ve captured the market.Added to by the fact that Spotify isn’t free ? and that will probably only go the same way when they’ve cornered their respective bit of it.Bearing in mind that there also seems to be a similar push to make land phone lines obsolete it all seems a bit too convenient for the respective providers.It seems clear that there was a much larger role for the ‘free’ music consumer market during the days of cassettes and that obviously carried on in the case of recordable CD’s and the agenda here seems to be all about taking out that sector and making people more dependent on stuff that they will eventually have to pay ( a lot ) for and which before was effectively free.On that note no surprise how difficult they make it to get HDMI inputs on recordable DVD/CD type devices for example and no SCART output on computers either. :bulb:

You misplaced that tinfoil hat of yours?

So basically, what you’re saying is you’d rather steal music by recording it from the radio than paying for it?

norb:

Radar19:

fingermissing:

The 17 plate models have built in sat-nav too!

Radar19:

norb:

Radar19:

fingermissing:

Bet they are car spec :smiley: :smiley:

They have a bigger engine than mine. 460 compared to the 440 I have but they have a plain plastic bumper trim. The company got tired of paying for new panels replaced and resprayed because of bumps and scraps. The interior is nicer though and the fridge doesn’t intrude into the floor space as much.

Carryfast:
On that note I think a lot of the other over complicated stuff will eventually just turn out to be a way of extorting loads of money for every record played in a vehicle.

You don’t know much about Spotify then? There’s a surprise :wink:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
On that note I think a lot of the other over complicated stuff will eventually just turn out to be a way of extorting loads of money for every record played in a vehicle.

Spotify is the bomb. I got it back in uni and always had it since.

Carryfast:

Radar19:

Ah, it seems you answered my question already then.

Radar19:

norb:

Radar19:

fingermissing:

It will be Wednesday now before I can check if my truck has any USB sockets.

It definitely has the built in sat nav but that just chunters away to me in Dutch. The truck also has black and light tan plastics which show up every mark. I preferred the 2016 one that I had if I’m honest, which had a cd player ! !

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

There’s no mystery it seems clear enough.

Around £10 per month ( so far ) for the ‘premium’ service ? plus I phone data/roaming charges ?.The free service only provides the fixed ‘shuffle play’ including ads ( just like the radio ? ).With freedom to choose what you actually want to listen to limited to ‘premium’ service ?.Compare that with just loading what you want to listen to onto a recordable DVD or a CD off of youtube or the radio for nothing. :confused: It seems obvious where this is all going.IE corner the market by removing the ‘free’ options then hit it for everything it’s worth and a bit more. :bulb:

switchlogic:
Ah, it seems you answered my question already then.

:confused:

So tell us how do you get Spotify to play anything you choose to listen to,on a vehicle audio system.Without the need for a mobile phone and resulting charges and without also paying Spotify for its ‘premium’ service ?.Not to mention what will happen to those charges when there is no easily available alternative recording media like CD around.As I said DVD head units at least still seeming to be alive and kicking in that regard which would be my choice.But probably obviously no chance in the case of an employer’s vehicle.

Night-and-day:
What truck is it? There should be a USB slot in the truck somewhere. Either on the radio or on the dash somewhere. Just buy a USB memory stick and burn all your cds onto windows media player and then transfer them to your USB. You’ll have all your music on that little stick. Miles better than having cds

won’t be any good if you burn them though,being plastic,[only kidding]seriously i’m the same got a 66 plate daf artic,thought it had a cd slot,tried putting a cd in where there was no slot,felt a right berk,but it does look like there is a slot till you look closer,then you realise it’s only a radio,really annoying considering the amount of crap on the radio nowadays,but I will look for this USB slot on Monday.

Has anyone still got a motor with a cassette player fitted? :laughing: