Ford CD player

It seems to be the case like a lot of cars there doing away with CD players , now my mrs is due to change cars but it must have a CD player ( I know my daughter said put your music on a stick ) , but mrs is adamant car must have a CD player fitted .
A new fiesta st is apx £25 k ( they will fit one if we order with car ) , we can get a nearly new one like my mrs present one was , 6 months old , 2 k miles for 17/18 k , but even though ford parts book shows a retrofit fit one at £250 , ford say they don’t do one
Has anyone ( long shot ) , fitted one to new fiesta , it looks like it goes in glove compartment ? Ta
Nb seen a few of the new 2nd hand fiestas with them fitted , but not righty colour , spec she wants

Step one put some of her albums onto her phone then get her using her phone to listen with headphones or a Bluetooth speaker etc. Possibly podcasts too if she can find something she likes.

Step two. Find out your Mrs no longer cares about having a CD in the car.

Also to add Spotify might also do the same, but as I don’t have it I couldn’t go so far as recommending it.

youtube.com/watch?v=uZo1LuULCLs

I’m with your mrs Dozy, be sticking with CD’s for the rest of my time, not remotely interested in new cars, no bugger sells any new car in this country i’d give you a thankyou for let alone ■■■■ £25k upwards on the junk.
You’d be better off asking this question on a standard Ford car forum, maybe avoid the ST forum as likely to find baseball cap wearers on there who think all this new tech is fab.

Juddian:
I’m with your mrs Dozy, be sticking with CD’s for the rest of my time, not remotely interested in new cars, no bugger sells any new car in this country i’d give you a thankyou for let alone ■■■■ £25k upwards on the junk.
You’d be better off asking this question on a standard Ford car forum, maybe avoid the ST forum as likely to find baseball cap wearers on there who think all this new tech is fab.

I agree that I do not see a single car on the market that would tempt me to buy a new car. Truly, not one. And this has been the case for a few years now.

Carryfast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZo1LuULCLs

That looks a good fix.
This might be a tad too much for some:
ebay.co.uk/itm/Phillips-car … 890.l49292

Juddian:
I’m with your mrs Dozy, be sticking with CD’s for the rest of my time,

If/when I change the everyday car I’ll be trading it back in years for something simple like Jeep Grand Cherokee petrol 4.0 pushrod or LR Disco V8 look like a good bet or possibly Merc E Class estate.At most it’ll have a double DIN radio fitting or better single.
I can fit a head unit with a DVD player in that and just use my DVD recorder/player at home to record anything I want to use in the car video or just audio. :wink:
Technology is going backwards.

Carrying around enough cd’s to cover the vast library available to the average smartphone user,simply isn’t feasible.
Not so much of a problem if you only have a couple of "now thats what I call music"cd’s in the bottom of your bag

Carryfast:

Juddian:
I’m with your mrs Dozy, be sticking with CD’s for the rest of my time,

If/when I change the everyday car I’ll be trading it back in years for something simple like Jeep Grand Cherokee petrol 4.0 pushrod or LR Disco V8 look like a good bet or possibly Merc E Class estate.At most it’ll have a double DIN radio fitting or better single.
I can fit a head unit with a DVD player in that and just use my DVD recorder/player at home to record anything I want to use in the car video or just audio. :wink:
Technology is going backwards.

Glutton for reliability punishment Carry? :wink: Think Toyota ultra reliabilty mate, pre 06 for the cheap tax if you want something with a proper engine, lots of them have double DIN spaces, not sure if a Lexus would be an easy change mind, might well have touch screen climate etc.
try ebay 353373438917, should be right up your street, i’d love to waft about in it, tape player on the dash and what looks like a multi cd in the passenger footwell as well as a TV screen for the important passengers between the front seats.

Juddian:
Glutton for reliability punishment Carry? Think Toyota ultra reliabilty mate, pre 06 for the cheap tax if you want something with a proper engine,

Absolutely.
:smiley:

As the Aussies say:
“If you wanna go into the outback, get a LandRover”
“If you wanna get back out again, get a LandCruiser”

Franglais:

Juddian:
Glutton for reliability punishment Carry? Think Toyota ultra reliabilty mate, pre 06 for the cheap tax if you want something with a proper engine,

Absolutely.

As the Aussies say:

I agree that is absolutely valid for post 1998 but my 300Tdi Defender, built prior to all the electrickery stuff, has been great. Thoroughly reliable. And after 42 countries in several continents is still going strong.

But I certainly would not replace it with a new one…

Dipster:

Franglais:

Juddian:

Absolutely.

As the Aussies say:

I agree that is absolutely valid for post 1998 but my 300Tdi Defender, built prior to all the electrickery stuff, has been great. Thoroughly reliable. And after 42 countries in several continents is still going strong.

But I certainly would not replace it with a new one…

I did have a Disco with a 300TDi, (yes, I avoided the 5) and it didnt let me down. But, I wouldnt easily go back to a Landy of any year.
I wont say youre wrong to stick with a Defender, but not for me.

I ran a mk1 freelander for 14 years.
Fuel pump
Brake caliper
Rear window winder mech
Fuel tank strap

Never let me down.

Around the time my fuel tank strap wanted replacing…L200’s of a similar age were suffering from rotten sub-frames.
Toyota are great off road…but sheet on road.
You want a motor that can pull a pig trailer through a muddy field,cover distance with the family(in luxury)and look good in the golf club car park?

Has to be green oval.

Franglais:

Juddian:

Absolutely.

As the Aussies say:

Maybe the Aussies can explain this.
autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012147069402
autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101298490770

Proper engine to me means V8 pushrod petrol and it must have a manual box.Bonus points for a single Din radio fitting.As I said going backwards. :bulb: :wink:
pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avh-z7200dab

commonrail:
Around the time my fuel tank strap wanted replacing…L200’s of a similar age were suffering from rotten sub-frames.
You want a motor that can pull a pig trailer through a muddy field,cover distance with the family(in luxury)and look good in the golf club car park?

Has to be green oval.

The L200 is a Mitsubishi.
And the Series and Defender chassis are not corrosion free, nor the Disco body, especially the rear end.

Toyota 4x4 bad on the road?
I think you’re making a sweeping statement there. Some years of Disco and Prado/Colorado might be angled more towards either on or off road but none are too bad.

I’ve had Landys, Mitsis, and Toys, and none have been rubbish, but for now I’m happy with my Toy.

Franglais:

commonrail:

Has to be green oval.

And the Series and Defender chassis are not corrosion free, nor the Disco body, especially the rear end.

I think you’re making a sweeping statement there. Some years of Disco and Prado/Colorado might be angled more towards either on or off road but none are too bad.

I’ve had Landys, Mitsis, and Toys, and none have been rubbish, but for now I’m happy with my Toy.

I do have some experience with Land Cruisers (with both the I-6 and V-8 diesels). I have had the opportunity to visit Australia many times, staying a couple of months each time. And each time I rented a 4x4. Mostly I had a cruiser. I found that there was a big difference in handling between those that were fitted with the “normal” wider wheels (steel or alloy) and those fitted with the utilitarian narrower “working” wheels (grey steel). On highway (tarmac or dirt) the former did not handle as well as the latter, in my opinion. Off-roading it depended what the surface was.

People compare Landrover and Landcruisers (Prados included) but they arn’t really direct competitors.
RRs have gone increasingly for the luxury market, with suspensions and designs to suit, yes they perform fantanstically on road and can still do the business off road, but not in heavy off road on the wheel sizes or tyres they come with.
LC’s and Prados are meant to do everything you ask off road more or less from the showroom, Toyota have stuck continually to the well proven ladder chassis, and whilst wheel sizes have got larger they are still up to hard off road work as is with only the correct tyres being needed for serious stuff.

Toyotas are more of a compromise than a RR in road manners because apart from the full size 100/200 and coming 300 models they are still simple vehicles, yes they dropped the solid front axle after the 70/80 series but you could still order a 105 (not in the UK) that was basically an 80 series chassis and running gear with a 100 series body bolted on, this was Toyotas heavy duty version to rival a 110 LR but with a proper Diesel, often seen painted white and labelled UN.

Defender is of course dead, the new model is not the same in any way, far too complicated in my humble now though the comfort factor and space for the driver is hugely welcome, but its a tonka version of Discovery 5, in reality they could drop Disco 5 now.
Old Defender and 70 series, yes they were rivals, but LR always hobbled Defender by never offering a big Diesel option it deserved, a stonking turbocharged 4.2 i6 or even 4.5 V8 Diesel driving through an old school auto box would have seen thousands more sales of Defenders.

If and when Ineos finally get the Grenadier ready for mass production it will be interesting to see how many genuine off roader buyers, who would previously have been old Defender or Toyota 70 series buyers will buy in, it’s not going to be a fix in the field jobbie like a Defender/70 series, given its going to have a 3 litre BMW 6 pot under the bonnet, they’d better hurry up and get the thing selling before the lunatics in charge bring in the next phase of world ■■■■■■■■■■/de-population after the present flu scare has done what its supposed to, and ban fossil fuelled vehicle sales in all western countries…no this won’t apply so much in the poorer parts of the world but they wouldn’t want something that can’t be fixed with a hammer and adjustable spanner anyway (i don’t blame them), somehow i doubt the middle east will be up for destroying their main source of income by stopping oil production to suit the new world order either so there will be a market for tough internal combustion engined vehicles for considerably longer than those planning their utopian future for the west think.

Franglais:

commonrail:

Has to be green oval.

Yes,I know L200 is a Mitsubishi.
But similar age LR don’t fail MOT’S with the arse end hanging off.
All those crew cab ute’s are sheet on road…ranger being slightly better.