new truck

north surrey id try neil jarrold at euro wheels for a price he operates out of watlings yard at attlebourgh

nsh, just a quick up-date on our phone chat, i get an r series on demo on tues to see how it goes, but volvo have just come back with a reduced price, and the office/dinette option looks very appealing :smiley: :smiley: , so watch this space :laughing: :laughing:

paul

i don’t like the new r series and neither does my boss but he is a big scania fan so got in quick with his order for the last of the 4 series coming through.
the volvo 500 is the turbo compound unit similar to my 470 scania and is very limited in availability, i mentioned to a truck mag reporter that i would like to see the scania 470 and volvo 500 against each other to see how they compare but i was told that volvo only do them to order and don’t have any sitting around the country for trials to be done on them, shame really.
the scania topline 470 classic (which is only available in the 4 series at the moment) costs £52,000. £3000 more than a standard cab topline.

north surrey haulage:
I might even wait for the magnum with the fh engine

Hope you’re patient, as it’s gonna be a while before you can get your hands on one of those :confused: Scheduled production may be put back another few months from what was originally planned, so probably early 2005 ?

Big Truck:
Another possible prospect for me is a Renault premium with abit more “poke” via the Volvo 460 engine (but specced with optidrive/I-shift box) and you can always get a mega deal for a Premium!!

Sorry to disappoint you but the only likely way you’ll get a Premium with a 460 motor is if you bolt the thing in yourself. Magnum will have the 12 litre engine but the Premium is going to have a unique 11 litre, basically the D9 Volvo motor with a longer stroke - won’t see that 'til 2005, so I guess if you’re in no hurry … :wink:

Take it easy

Craig 111,
Do you know of anybody who has “chipped” the Premium 420dci to 500 horse? (as in the numerous truck mag adverts)
If so,How’s does it feel for “ohmns” now and is it any harder on diesel?

Don’t know of anyone who has chipped a 420 DCi, but definitely wouldn’t recommend it as pushing any 11 litre to 500hp would be straining things a bit. If I owned a used Premium 420 the first job on my list would be taking it over to Feather Diesel and getting it the power/torque checked as it may have dropped off over time.

Although some will make great arguments for chipping a truck if you get the chance to speak with someone who knows engine development, like Steve at Feather for example, it’s interesting to hear the knock-on effects of chips i.e running at 500hp with a cooling system and transmission designed for 420hp. With cars it’s less of an issue as you generally use the extra output for only a few seconds at a time, but for a truck where you could be calling on full power for several minutes (on a long climb) it’s an entirely different story.

The bottom line is the choice to chip is up to the individual, but from what I’ve heard you can get plenty of headaches if it all goes wrong :frowning:

Cheers

420 to 500. PAH! thats nothin, a guy over here has his 580 chipped to 730bhp!! Dunno if its had any probs. yet. Expensive if it does get any.

Why would anyone would need an alleged 730hp, other than to brag about it to other truckers ?
:question: :question: :question: :unamused:

V8KARLV8:
420 to 500. PAH! thats nothin, a guy over here has his 580 chipped to 730bhp!! Dunno if its had any probs. yet. Expensive if it does get any.

funny that volvo`s 610 is limited to protect the gearbox
and scanias are struggling to match it for the same reason
and the curser 13 has much more in reserve when the gearbox can take it
jon

Craig 111:
Why would anyone would need an alleged 730hp, other than to brag about it to other truckers ?

Its true, but dont ask me why :exclamation:

Sean, i saw that look in yer eye M8 when you saw the EuroStar, but NO, you cant have it! :wink:

Big Truck:
If all goes according to plan I’m hoping to be in the market for a 6x2 truck probably used (although new just might be an outside option) around Dec/Jan,so if your going to wait I could be tempted to take a look at your FH?

:wink: I’ll let you know how things pan out.I’m in no hurry so I shall just be doing some homework for the time being

norfolk-liner:
north surrey id try neil jarrold at euro wheels for a price he operates out of watlings yard at attlebourgh

thanks mate he is on my list :laughing:

flatbedman:
nsh, just a quick up-date on our phone chat, i get an r series on demo on tues to see how it goes, but volvo have just come back with a reduced price, and the office/dinette option looks very appealing :smiley: :smiley: , so watch this space :laughing: :laughing:

paul

it would be hard not to improve on that price!

I shall wait with baited breath re: scania

oh by the way did you get that number I texted you for the tanks?

Mal:
Sean, i saw that look in yer eye M8 when you saw the EuroStar, but NO, you cant have it! :wink:

■■■■ I thought I hid my emotions so well.It must have been because it was so early in the morning :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

north surrey haulage:

Mal:

■■■■ I thought I hid my emotions so well.It must have been because it was so early in the morning :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Craig 111:

Well to cruise at 75 mph+ of course :unamused:

730hp + several tonnes of torque / the differential gears = Iron filings :open_mouth: :laughing:

I drive a 420 i-shift. man what a dream, the i shift should be repsected at all times. It certainly means it’s one less thing to worry about when going places and if ya want to have a giggle then whack it into manual; and wake yerself up!

Can’t fault the lorry, typically volvo

Tiggz

putting them in order :laughing:

North Surrey is your truck paid for does it still work ?

If yes why get a new one if its paid for the key thing is surely to make a profit!!