On the Verge of spending some money!

Gentlemen,

what experiences, happy or otherwise have you of operating a Volvo 480 GTXL or equivalent??

I feel the time is nigh for a change of wheels and have to say, if only from a ‘looks’ point of view so far, the Globetrotter is a gem.

Obviously, looking bonny is no measure of profitability or reliability so your comments are keenly awaited.

Thanks Muchly. :smiley:

my only experience of buying a volvo never even got off the ground, i rang the salesman up told him what i was looking for, told him what i had to spend {35k} no probs said he, i,ve just what you are looking for , i,ll get a definate price and ring you back, 6 weeks later :open_mouth: the phone goes,“i,ve got a price on that truck you want” needless to say i told him he was too late and i was already fixed up, shame really cos i do like the look of those globetrotters, best of luck anyway i,m sure you will find what you are looking for , theres plenty of choice at the moment

its a volvo
cant go wrong mate , no worries at all just keep going , as my fitter says he hates em , nowt to do but look at it ■■
just be aware that a lot of faults come up on the dash that arent faults just faulty senses, have them checked once then ignore them

I have had alot of Volvo’s,the closest i had to what your looking at was a serie’s 1 460 FH. They are a good truck underneath,great puller’s and the auto is the best,the manual serie’s 1 box carried noise into the cab the serie’s 2 does not do this but the change is alot stiffer :frowning: .The exhaust brake has 4 setting’s and really help’s your brake life. There’s alot of Volvo’s around so choice should’nt be a problem.

On the downside the cab is very cramped remember an FH is only an FM without the engine hump.Getting in and out is a climb and the door hinge’s won’t hold the door out of your way on any gradient. Driving position is good but tall people find the position cramped. The top locker’s are small on the edge’s the middle locker is fine. Volvo’s are impossible to keep clean on the outside especially the mirror’s.The road dirt travel’s up the side’s way too easily. Mudgaurd top’s don’t last,at least mine never did-they don’t even fit properly. Mine was also sore on fuel 6.8mpg compared to 7.3mpg on my present 1846.
The main issue’s i have with Volvo are the major mechanical failure’s which happen’d to all of mine and my friend’s of late.They go pearshaped at 500k,injector’s go and if you don’t pull over quickly they can fill the head’s and sump with diesel before blowing the engine.
Mine also went on fire ,it ate clutch booster’s(my own fault) and the heater ■■■■■■ up(it was €1800 for the part alone)

Volvo’s suit tough offroad type’s of work i think,but the cab let’s them down bigtime for motorway driving.

Have you tried ringing some local operators who run them? Ken Mallinson had a few but he seems to have switched to Mercs, also there’s the guy who subs for Hoyers near Kirkheaton, if he his still going. There are the orange and white guys in Morley who’ve have run several over the years, currently have about 10 on the go, pm me if you need a contact name.

I’d sooner walk than run an Actros as I am avers to changing cracked discs every Saturday!!! :wink:

Via master or Winteringhams is it at Leeds??

The guy at Upper Heaton has either finished or moved elsewhere, I came over that way from Grange Moor recently and the cupboard was bare…

Is the Volvo platform any good in the Magnum? always had a bit of a soft spot for those but never had any urge for Mack lumps… the thought of falling to my death from the drivers seat also has a steadying effect at ‘shopping time’ :smiley:

madders:
I’d sooner walk than run an Actros as I am avers to changing cracked discs every Saturday!!! :wink:

Then change the pad’s before they go metal on metal then :laughing:

There is another Volvo available which would certainly give you more living space and since I have run one for 3 years now relatively trouble free for about 450,000k’s,I could certainly recommend you consider and that is the Renault Magnum.The cab is Renault and everything else is Volvo and with an automatic gearbox it is a pleasure to drive and live in and at 8.5mpg all round a ■■■■ good truck.And dare I say it might just be cheaper than your Volvo,mine is a 480 and is well on top of the fridge work I do.

He said he likes the “look” of the FH.

No offence.

for the time being at least, I’ve decided on the wait and see approach, I think there is a dose of classic owner driver disease here…ie. when it’s paid for it’s time for another!!!

The prices offered for my truck have been less that the alcoa’s cost and with 485k on her I think the dpreciation would be too painful even for a masochist such as myself. :roll :unamused: