Volvo FH12 460 (I shift)

Am looking at this being the choice of truck when i set up but am after some information from anyone that runs one on here, what sort of MPG are you getting? General running costs, problems, likes ,dislikes.?

All info is a help, thanks.

Looking at it being a 2002 model…

Got an 04 one, and we have an 06 as well, currently getting about 8mpg pulling a powder tanker on a mix of urban and distance work, and alot of abuse on building sites.

Had no real problems with either of them. Both on a full R&M. The only thing we find is they eat Michelin tyres. They also like to throw up the air dryer needs checking warning, and the air leak waring symbol on the dash, but the dealer says just to aknoledge it as they all do it.

A haulier on our job has 3, one of them has had alot of problems with the mid lift A frame bush.

Must be good cos we’ve got a 480 xl coming in September, and a 500 XL EGR coming in April, both with I-shift. That will only leave the 8 wheeler with a manual box, and he wishes we’d ordered that with one now.

I ran a new one for a year (05 plate) and never drove it one day when there wasn’t a problem with it.

The most dangerous being the 'box going into neutral when braking

I also had 3 cruise control switches
4 microwaves
2 fridges
headlight bulbs blowing
a broken leather seat base that can only be replaced with a cloth base which stops the ventilated fans from doing their job

I havn’t got all night so that’s all I’m gonna put up now!

Jonah 1:
I ran a new one for a year (05 plate) and never drove it one day when there wasn’t a problem with it.

The most dangerous being the 'box going into neutral when braking

I also had 3 cruise control switches
4 microwaves
2 fridges
headlight bulbs blowing
a broken leather seat base that can only be replaced with a cloth base which stops the ventilated fans from doing their job

I havn’t got all night so that’s all I’m gonna put up now!

I think me gets the point!!!

Possibly a one off do you think? Don’t really hear a great deal of bad press about volvo’s?

Jonah’s problems with his volvo have been well documented on the site , however Coffeeholic ran volvo’s for a number of years without problems.

Horses for courses. If you get a bad one you won’t touch them again

Semtex:
Jonah’s problems with his volvo have been well documented on the site , however Coffeeholic ran volvo’s for a number of years without problems.

4 different trucks over 10+ years and only 3 unscheduled workshop visits, all for fairly minor things. Averaged 10.5 - 11 mpg, on light work with the heaviest loads around 10 tonnes.

Coffeeholic:
Averaged 10.5 - 11 mpg.

Not at 44t tho’ :wink: :laughing:

Mine(the firms!) is doing 7.8mpg always heavy and running a pto for approx 20-30 mins every day.
The only problem i`ve had is a blown turbo, and as steve said, they have a habit of flashing warnings on the dash for the air dryer.

as good as it gets the new i-shift is even better.in ireland die hard scania men are turnin volvo