New Ford Tractor Unit

Just wondering what they retail out at compared to other makes, they will need to be a bit cheaper to tempt firms get a foothold I would reckon.
Guessing the driveline will be the same as the Stralis, wondering if it’s flat floor walk through.
Ford were once on top of their game with the Transconti which was way ahead of it’s time (but never caught on over here when we ran at 32 tonnes making them too heavy) so don’t write them of in the truck market yet I reckon.
I aint a truck snob, imo opinion there is not a ‘‘bad truck’’ on the market as there once was, just that some aint as good or as driver friendly as others, but standards are much higher obviously, so we are spoiled in comparison to years ago.

Bit more info here

fordtrucks.com.tr/tr-tr/hab … eni-cekici

500 hp engine dubbed the Ecotorque, which appears to be an ‘in-house’ production by Ford Otosan, as does the drive axle.

In-house gearbox by 2020, but until then I would think either a ZF or Eaton.

The current, lighter model is the Ford Cargo…and appears to have nothing in common with the Iveco EuroCargo, except (possibly) a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ engine.

Otosan makes all Transits including those for the UK, and also the little Transit Connect which was Otosan’s first ‘international’ project.

I somehow doubt that Otosan will bother to develop a RHD version of the new heavy tractor for the UK, but they are going to sell it in Western Europe…so they say!

GasGas:
Bit more info here

500 hp engine dubbed the Ecotorque, which appears to be an ‘in-house’ production by Ford Otosan, as does the drive axle.

The current, lighter model is the Ford Cargo…and appears to have nothing in common with the Iveco EuroCargo, except (possibly) a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ engine.

Otosan makes all Transits including those for the UK, and also the little Transit Connect which was Otosan’s first ‘international’ project.

I somehow doubt that Otosan will bother to develop a RHD version of the new heavy tractor for the UK, but they are going to sell it in Western Europe…so they say!

ZF or Eaton, so manual only then. (Unless they do autos also and I’m showing my ignorance :blush: )
That will put off a lot of potential buyers.
Wonder if they will be sold under Iveco dealership, is there still.a connection now, or more ignorance shown. :smiley:

ZF do the AS-Tronic, as fitted to Iveco, DAF and MAN, and not widely liked.

But this is being phased out, and replaced with the Traxon…which is much better, although still not quite up to the dual-clutch Volvo i-Shift.

Eaton do an automated manual too, although it’s not fitted by European manufacturers, it is fitted to Kenworths and Peterbilts in North America, where it has a Paccar badge. So, it could appear on the new Ford.

The link between Iveco and Ford was broken some years ago.

I can’t see it coming to the UK. The British truck market is shrinking, and the more minor manufacturers like MAN and Renault struggle to sell enough trucks to support a nationwide dealership network. And without a nationwide dealership network, you can’t really sell trucks.

The alternative would be to sell them through the existing Ford Commercial network, alongside Transits. But how many of those dealers could handle heavy truck service and repair.

While I suspect most Transit customers don’t realise their vans are built in Turkey (as are some Mercedes trucks and the Mercedes coaches), the Turkish truck industry has a terrible reputation here. Remember those BMC/ERF skip wagons of about 20 years ago…it was a job to work out which end you were supposed to put the rubbish in!

As mentioned above, Iveco and Ford fell out of bed years ago. The original deal involved Ford making vans up to 3.5t and Iveco making the heavier stuff, then Iveco started making smaller vans to compete with the Transit which annoyed Ford so that was it, end of.
I worked opposite their headquarters in Watford at the time and it wasn’t long before a cherry picker arrived and a team of blokes removed the Ford sign leaving just the Iveco.

it’s a Scania look a like,nice though

truckman020:

A Scania lookalike with a V4 Volvo FH cab!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

robroy:

tommymanc:

robroy:
I’d swap my Merc for it.
Then again I’d swap my Merc for anything. :frowning:

feel free to dm me, and arrange the transaction of my pushbike for the merc :smiley:

I’m tempted mate, …what colour is it ? :smiley:

Pmsl at that one… :grimacing:

GasGas:
the Turkish truck industry has a terrible reputation here. Remember those BMC/ERF skip wagons of about 20 years ago…it was a job to work out which end you were supposed to put the rubbish in!

:laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

GasGas:
Bit more info here

ZF or Eaton, so manual only then. (Unless they do autos also and I’m showing my ignorance :blush: )
That will put off a lot of potential buyers.
Wonder if they will be sold under Iveco dealership, is there still.a connection now, or more ignorance shown. :smiley:

I don’t think these Ford trucks have any links with Iveco, which as far as I remember simply put Ford badges on their truck for a while after buying Fords European Heavy truck manufacturing operation out many years ago.
However the Turkish kept building Ford trucks, like the original Cargo cab, seen all over Turkey in all sizes and states of disrepair, then a newer version, then a couple of years ago they launched a strange shaped tractor unit which was also for sale in Europe and looked like a transformer and had an interior made up of what looked like parts they’d found in a skip behind the DAF factory.

newmercman:

truckman020:

+1.

muckles:
, then a couple of years ago they launched a strange shaped tractor unit which was also for sale in Europe and looked like a transformer and had an interior made up of what looked like parts they’d found in a skip behind the DAF factory.

That’s odd, because DAF seem to use what the Turks didn’t want from the skip, to build their whole truck range :open_mouth:

GasGas:
ZF do the AS-Tronic, as fitted to Iveco, DAF and MAN, and not widely liked.

But this is being phased out, and replaced with the Traxon…which is much better, although still not quite up to the dual-clutch Volvo i-Shift.

Eaton do an automated manual too, although it’s not fitted by European manufacturers, it is fitted to Kenworths and Peterbilts in North America, where it has a Paccar badge. So, it could appear on the new Ford.

The link between Iveco and Ford was broken some years ago.

I can’t see it coming to the UK. The British truck market is shrinking, and the more minor manufacturers like MAN and Renault struggle to sell enough trucks to support a nationwide dealership network. And without a nationwide dealership network, you can’t really sell trucks.

The alternative would be to sell them through the existing Ford Commercial network, alongside Transits. But how many of those dealers could handle heavy truck service and repair.

While I suspect most Transit customers don’t realise their vans are built in Turkey (as are some Mercedes trucks and the Mercedes coaches), the Turkish truck industry has a terrible reputation here. Remember those BMC/ERF skip wagons of about 20 years ago…it was a job to work out which end you were supposed to put the rubbish in!

Most Ford commercial dealers can’t even repair a van properly let alone a truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a look at the link Gasgas put up. Now know why I never get the kebab I order :frowning:

blue estate:

They never have been any good, totally inept I found.
I arrived at one with a 6 month old Ford Cargo (whom I bought it from) in the 80s, with steam pouring out of the ■■■■ thing (L10 ■■■■■■■■ notorious for water problems)
The guy looked at it and said ‘‘You aren’t booked in’’ :unamused: .
Waste of ■■■■ space. :smiling_imp:
Saw the manager, we had a few words, and I eventually got an Iveco demonstrator to use,…and a new engine for the Cargo.

robroy:

blue estate:

They never have been any good, totally inept I found.
I arrived at one with a 6 month old Ford Cargo (whom I bought it from) in the 80s, with steam pouring out of the [zb] thing (L10 ■■■■■■■■ notorious for water problems)
The guy looked at it and said ‘‘You aren’t booked in’’ :unamused: .
Waste of [zb] space. :smiling_imp:
Saw the manager, we had a few words, and I eventually got an Iveco demonstrator to use,…and a new engine for the Cargo.

I remember BT running the twin steer 3828 Cargos with the L10. At the time i envied the power difference…i had a 2817 which wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding… :grimacing:

Beau Nydel:
Had a look at the link Gasgas put up. Now know why I never get the kebab I order :frowning:

“Yes please, sorry?”

eddie snax:

muckles:
, then a couple of years ago they launched a strange shaped tractor unit which was also for sale in Europe and looked like a transformer and had an interior made up of what looked like parts they’d found in a skip behind the DAF factory.

That’s odd, because DAF seem to use what the Turks didn’t want from the skip, to build their whole truck range :open_mouth:

the odd thing is…that although Turkish trucks are really not very good, their individual mechanics and metalworkers are brilliant.

Ask any of the old-school ex-Middle East drivers…all their vehicle modifications were done in Turkey (trailer boxes, extra tanks, roof racks etc) and if they had a serious mechanical issue the standard fix was to somehow/anyhow get the truck to Turkey where whatever had failed would be either repaired or remanufactured to an astonishingly high standard by a bloke in a dusty yard.

Geoffo:

newmercman:

truckman020:

+1.

yeah,looking at it closely your right,headlights and all that

don’t know how other’s feel but I used to love the old cargo’s