Nagel Logistics / Heritage International - Dover

Good Morning,
We do ship out empty a lot of the time and we have to take the empty running into the equation when working out the rate. We have dozens of UK hauliers who call us empty in the south East looking to get out to near Europe for
a load back to their own particular area . We pay both crossings… they fill up with cheaper fuel. The Irish lads have their own loads to Europe and we reload them to the UK or Ireland.

Neville:
Gentlemen. Someone has to provide a trailer… As I have said you can provide your own if it suits. We have NEVER I promise you chaged £300.00 per week… and I do mean never. When we first started 13 years ago we paid to TIP / CTS and charged £240.00 (Fact) …The current rate is £150.00 for all new deals. This includes full European and UK cover for all fridge and chassis problems and all fair wear and tear on tyres, plus a replacement fridge at MOT time. No trailer is more than 3 years old. The only thing we expect the subbie to pay for is punctures or any tyre abuse. Its atough old world out there and getting tougher by the day. I do not proclaim we are perfect but we try harder then most and we are certainly one of the most straightfoward UK companies to work for… I am always prepared to help or advise any owner driver out there with information or advice… There are some bad, bad companies out there… Please check me out via your Bank or Experian and you will see my standing in the financial sense. Good luck to you all…

Having read Neville’s post on trailer rental i would say that £150 a week for a new spec fridge with everything thrown in except damage is a steal. I work in sales for a truck/trailer rental company and £150pw would struggle to cover the finance on the trailer, never mind cover tyre wear & maintenance! We keep out the fridge market, but if anyone wants any curtainsiders there are deals to be done!

Sorry I disagree

If you subby for someone you shouldnt be paying for their trailers… After all they are making on the rate to begin with… How come Nagel dont charge then ? Nedexco dont charge then ? All fairly new kit

It is sure that you can always either buy or provide your own trailer which a good number of our subbies do. As correctly pointed out our rate is subsidised at £150.00 and is a very fair rate. Most of the hire companies such as Dawsons, Grayrentals, TIP will not provided subbies with trailers as they keep losing out when the subbie goes bust.
With our trailers comes work for 52 weeks of the year as well.
Nedexco, Nagel …fine but the trailer still has to be paid for and It will come out of the rate somewhere along the line… It has to.
One of my Ex drivers who has now returned to me went to work for Nedexco as he had heard all about this wonderful Dutch company and their wages. Only to find he was run ragged and usually always overweight…Oh but he did have a nice truck. (We run all late FH Volvos with top spec).

Do what we did… Put your whole life on the line, mortgage your house, work all the hours god gives you put up with continuous rising costs and reducing rates, deal every day with the toughest market I have ever come across and you can reap the rewards.
When I strated in this busness 35 years ago I used to get £950.00 from Paddock Wood to Krefeld (D) … Now you would be lucky to get £400.00

Never mind at leaset here in Dover the sun is shining and there ar NO massive congestion problems as the roadworks have gone.

Neville:
Most of the hire companies such as Dawsons, Grayrentals, TIP will not provided subbies with trailers as they keep losing out when the subbie goes bust.

Rather says it all i would think :unamused:Why do you think this happens?rubbish rates?bad payers?the list is endless.

Good day. I agree the list is endless and certainly no one reason. The world owes no one al iving and an owner driver is vunerable for sure. The bigger you are though the harder it gets I can promise you.
If I look back at all the bad debts I have had over the last three years It frightens me… this is form all manner of UK and foreign companies… and yet on EVERY occasion without fail I have paid my sub-contractor.
This is all part of being in business and I am able to do because we as a company know where we are day to day are are properly run.
Usually both Directors are in the office every day but always one of us as we do not play golf, race cars or trucks or have other business interests. We just work very hard at what we do.

So Neville, as a dedicated subbie to Heritage could you give me an idea ( estimate will do) as to what I would turnover each month excluding trailer hire ?

I know each person is different and you have yer gud weeks but then these are cancelled out by the bad weeks ( you do get them) but lets say I start on a Sun night and batter it all week till Friday, week in week out, what can I earn ? I take it this will be averaging around 3000 kms per week…, this would be around 2 or 3 trips to Holland/Belgium back to the UK depending upon where in Holland /Beglium you collect and depenedent on where you deliver in the UK.

routier:
So Neville, as a dedicated subbie to Heritage could you give me an idea ( estimate will do) as to what I would turnover each month excluding trailer hire ?

I know each person is different and you have yer gud weeks but then these are cancelled out by the bad weeks ( you do get them) but lets say I start on a Sun night and batter it all week till Friday, week in week out, what can I earn ? I take it this will be averaging around 3000 kms per week…, this would be around 2 or 3 trips to Holland/Belgium back to the UK depending upon where in Holland /Beglium you collect and depenedent on where you deliver in the UK.

Although that would be an interesting post. Im not sure that I would want to post my winning hand in a poker game :smiley:

There are too many eyes on these threads and a major customer who could save a tenner on a load, would not think about loyalty to Heritage or any other freight forwarder.

I did say estimate and he can always PM me… Theres already been a statement that a guy averaged only £ 1700.00

Heritages website is crying out for subbies:

Thats what I’m gettin at… what a Freight Forwarder charges to what a subbie gets from that Freight Forwarder are two different topics now.

[u]Subbies Needed[/u]

I will say that I do not for one minute think Routier is interested in working for us at all. Like a lot of peoole who call us they are fishing for information and to compare company to company. Which is fair and I do the same. A good subbie can certainly average over £2000.00 a week before trailer hire is deducted… A lot of chaps do a good dela more. Depends on your work ethic and of course the type of work you do.
We also have a wholly owned office in Renfrew who do the longer distance stuff and of course the fish from Scotland.
As one Irish lad said to me today (Frigotranz) the thing he likes about Heritage is that you do get paid… any problems are sorted out very quickly.
I suppose its our buting power on the Ferries where we may win with our rates being better because we ship so many which stands to reason. There are always going to be happy subbies and unhappy subbies that is the nature of the beast. We do try to always before and have good reputation… and I can sleep at night.

this topic is unreal :unamused: you have a guy from HERITAGE being asked to publish his figures/work ethic etc etc on a public forum.wtf :unamused: :unamused:

fair play neville for not giving in after post 1.

why should HERITAGE have to justify anything on a public internet forum for one persons curiosity is beyond me. :unamused:

routier:
I did say estimate and he can always PM me… Theres already been a statement that a guy averaged only £ 1700.00

Heritages website is crying out for subbies:

Thats what I’m gettin at… what a Freight Forwarder charges to what a subbie gets from that Freight Forwarder are two different topics now.

[u]Subbies Needed[/u]

as you say he could pm you,but could you also not pm him for that type of info if you were really interested in putting a lorry on.

ohterry:
this topic is unreal :unamused: you have a guy from HERITAGE being asked to publish his figures/work ethic etc etc on a public forum.wtf :unamused: :unamused:

why should HERITAGE have to justify anything on a public internet forum for one persons curiosity is beyond me. :unamused:

who said he had to Justify anything ?

what do u know why I am asking questions ?

Yes Its a public forum , Forum being the operative word , it lets people ask questions and if yer read the thread at the start it was asking ODs for their opinion on the companies, I dont need to justify Y I was asking but it certainly was not for curiosity.

It wasnt for the MD to publicise how gud his firm is and put it from his point of view of course but he responded to another OD saying he only earnt £1700 so if the guy wants to glorify how good the company is on the Public Forum , I thought i’d ask .He could have PMd me from the outset but he didnt, he chose to do his washin in pubic

Dont see what yer problem is ? Dont read it if it ■■■■■■ yer off.

routier:

ohterry:

who said he had to Justify anything ?

what do u know why I am asking questions ?

Yes Its a public forum , Forum being the operative word , it lets people ask questions and if yer read the thread at the start it was asking ODs for their opinion on the companies, I dont need to justify Y I was asking but it certainly was not for curiosity.

It wasnt for the MD to publicise how gud his firm is and put it from his point of view of course but he responded to another OD saying he only earnt £1700 so if the guy wants to glorify how good the company is on the Public Forum , I thought i’d ask .He could have PMd me from the outset but he didnt, he chose to do his washin in pubic

Dont see what yer problem is ? Dont read it if it ■■■■■■ yer off.

Yes Its a public forum , Forum

just expressing my thoughts.on this here public internet forum

ohterry & glenman… your comments are appreciated. As you will know I am new to this site. Perhaps I should have stayed in the background ? My offer to help is still there… Based in Dover and live locally. Free help or advice.
Its going to be very tough time ahead for us all. Any form of discussion hopefully bringing unity is to be applauded… Parting thought for now… Any one fancy chucking a few lorries across the linkspans in Dover the next time the french kick off and bringing the whole lot to a halt this side of the channel ?

Neville:
ohterry & glenman… your comments are appreciated. As you will know I am new to this site. Perhaps I should have stayed in the background ? My offer to help is still there… Based in Dover and live locally. Freed help or advice.
Its going to be very tough time ahead for us all. Any form of discussion hopefully bringing unity is to be applauded… Parting thought for now… Any one fancy chucking a few lorries across the linkspans in Dover the next time the french kick off and bringing the whole lot to a halt this side of the channel ?

Why wait for the french to kick off again Neville, why don`t “we” do it anyway ?

It needs a kick start to the present campaign [fuel protests], which, at the moment, the government is ignoring.

If someone with your trailer fleet starts something, the whole shebang will grow PDQ :laughing:

Dover gridlocked by UK hauliers would start a panic throughout the country, the government would ■■■■ its silk pants :open_mouth:

Routiers objection to paying trailer rental shows a basic misunderstanding of how its usually done. From my experience both as subbie and subbor, if there’s such a word. If the job is paying rate less percentage, you provide your own trailer or pay rental, if the job is paying traction ie all miles, the trailer is your customers problem.

acd1202:
Routiers objection to paying trailer rental shows a basic misunderstanding of how its usually done. From my experience both as subbie and subbor, if there’s such a word. If the job is paying rate less percentage, you provide your own trailer or pay rental, if the job is paying traction ie all miles, the trailer is your customers problem.

What ? Ge ffn real ! I have been in the game a number of years! and all the Family is in haulage! … I will bet ye the rates on offer either way work out the same except with Rates yer payin for the trailer! I’ve done Pence per KM, Job Rate plus had my own work i.e everything for yer own account…

so unless yer know anythin about me dont be castin aspersions now… eejut

All I know about Heritage is that our company does a lot of work for them, mainly out of Germany, and our boss has never had any complaints about them and being the miserable git he is, he would have kicked them into touch a long time ago if they weren’t up to scratch. But we use our own trailers so that’s the trailer hire question out of the equation.

Thanks for your comment Bear… Its a sure thing that all Employers are miserable gits as far as drivers go… I am not asking who you work for but counds like Trevor Matthews… mind you there are a few.