My trip to South Uist (Outer Hebrides)

I think the NW of Scotland has to have some of the most stunning scenery, truly world class. I used to regularly pull out of Ullapool back in the day down to France on fresh fish runs, if I could get that gig again I would take it tomorrow.

Back in the day the Russian factory ships would be anchored in Loch Broom for long periods of time .They would bring Lada cars in and take our fish home for the comrades.I think that we got the a$$ end of that deal as well.

Londontrucker123:
I think the NW of Scotland has to have some of the most stunning scenery, truly world class. I used to regularly pull out of Ullapool back in the day down to France on fresh fish runs, if I could get that gig again I would take it tomorrow.

Back in the late 80’s between our potato season and broccoli season in Cornwall, we went to Ullapool for 3mths, loading fish off the boats but took it to a factory in Whitehaven where it was packed for France.
Did that 3yrs running, lovely drive & scenery.

dave_k:

indeed:
Wanting to move up there in the next year or two, worried about work though. Currently based in Bristol with an abundance of work.
Whats about up there?

There is certainly 2 or 3 decent sized firms and a few smaller operators around up there, on a mixture of flat, timber, general curtainsider and a little bit of fridge or tipper work. Certainly nothing compared to Bristol, but if an experienced driver I don’t see too many issues.

Really depends on what type of work your looking for as even though say Ferguson Transport has a base up the west coast, their drivers will probably spend most of there week making deliveries into England and then back loading from England to central Scotland then loading from Grangemouth back up to the west coast. Obviously be better getting in touch with a few of the companies to see the current situation before making any concrete plans.

Cheers, saw some timber up there when we were last up, long haul is not a problem, currently class 1 trunking just single days. Happy to move without a permanent job just thought it was worth jumping on this thread.

neilg14:

Londontrucker123:

Back in the late 80’s between our potato season and broccoli season in Cornwall, we went to Ullapool for 3mths, loading fish off the boats but took it to a factory in Whitehaven where it was packed for France.
Did that 3yrs running, lovely drive & scenery.

Funnily enough, I was running out of Cornwall at the time too… spuds, broccoli, flowers, fish. Enjoyed it, was good days…

mallaig.jpg taken a few years ago while travelling to mallaig your right stunning white sand

I have to agree with all the above comments about the scenery, never done the north west of Scotland in a truck but had many happy motorbiking holidays up there. Hardly any traffic, great people and even better roads, which seemed a bit narrow in places and I remember thinking to myself that I’m glad I’m not in my truck.

GORDON 50:
I have to agree with all the above comments about the scenery, never done the north west of Scotland in a truck but had many happy motorbiking holidays up there. Hardly any traffic, great people and even better roads, which seemed a bit narrow in places and I remember thinking to myself that I’m glad I’m not in my truck.

Once in a while had to pull out of Kinlochbervie instead of Ullapool, iirc it’s a good 2+ hours north of Ullapool, just south of Cape Wrath. The drive up there was incredible, couldn’t believe I was still in the UK, certainly the remotest spot I’ve been to on these isles, anyone else been there?

Colin_scottish:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
To Colin Scotish in reference to paying for parking at Newtonmore Grill it’s free as far as I know mate. I didn’t pay and they never questioned me in the cafe.

Normally have to pay unless its changed but the food in there is spot on.Its a very good relaxed feeling when sitting in there looking out to the hills.

AFAIK, they only charge you if you get it back from your company, and the £10 fee gives you £5 off your dinner… but if you don’t get parking paid, they don’t charge - but obviously no dinner discount. Personally, one of my favourite truckstops, will go out of my way to park there rather than anywhere else up that neck of the woods - always have a great sleep there!

Londontrucker123:

GORDON 50:

Once in a while had to pull out of Kinlochbervie instead of Ullapool, iirc it’s a good 2+ hours north of Ullapool, just south of Cape Wrath. The drive up there was incredible, couldn’t believe I was still in the UK, certainly the remotest spot I’ve been to on these isles, anyone else been there?

I know the area well having holidayed nr kinlochbervie of over 20 years , we shall be up there for 4/5 weeks in June . We never tire of the scenery and the warmth of the people up there . Dave

I cycled up by Kinlochbervie many years ago,before the Kylesku bridge was even thought of.There was good food to be had at the Fishermans Mission.

Londontrucker123:

GORDON 50:

Sure have!

I only saw three cars after leaving Ullapool going to Durness. Absolutely stunning scenery and even managed to get a trip across to Cape Wrath to the lighthouse, which when I got there, it was shrouded in thick fog so I didn’t see much but then again it calls for another trip to see it!!!

alamcculloch:
I cycled up by Kinlochbervie many years ago,before the Kylesku bridge was even thought of.There was good food to be had at the Fishermans Mission.

Keep the memory , The seamen missions closed down 5 years ago and the one at Bervie stands empty . The one at Lochinver opened again as a community cafe and meeting place , the food is top notch .

We had a week in the caravan at Back of Keppoch near Arrisaig a few years ago, the silver sands were fantastic…and so were the blooming midges! :open_mouth: We were there on the longest day and it was still virtually daylight at midnight. The Seamans Mission in Mallaig fed us well cheaply, a shame that they have closed.

Pete.

My x used to live in Fort William ( moved to South Carolina last October ) was up there couple years back was going to go over to Skye but due to fractured ankle ruptured Achilles couldn’t drive but yep some nice scenery up there

We did get to the beach at Arisaig stunning white beaches

Will go back soon

Great Diary Steve.
Love it up there, can’t get enough, been up there on holiday for the last 5 years, just brought a new Motorhome & it’s gonna be doing a load of West Scotland.
Discovered Mull last year-Stunning, as is all the West Coast.

Steve, if you do get that Skye Drop & for some reason you can’t do it, give us a shout, I’ll do it for ya [emoji6]

Great diary. As said there used to be excellent diaries in here from time to time. Dingo used to do very interesting reads. But it used to be a lot better place all round.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Londontrucker123:

GORDON 50:

I once did a delivery up to Achfary which was about 2 and half to 3 hours north of Ullapool and you’re right about the drive up there. I kept pulling up and taking pics. The part where you go over that bridge over the loch is stunning.

That’s the Kylesku bridge, used to do Inverness to Durness via Ullapool 3 times a week when on for Nisa Foods, fantastic scenery in the summer but not so nice during the icy periods as not all the roads are salted.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Well that was a pleasnt trip with absolutely stunning scenery. I set off on Sunday morning at 06:00 and got up to Newtonmore Grill just off the A9 for about 16:00 and that was me for the night after having a nice Thai green chicken curry and a couple of pints in there(lovely grub by the way)
I started the following morning and run across the A86 to Spean Bridge then up the A82 to Invergarry then onto the A87 towards the Isle Of Skye. I pulled up at Loch Loyne to take some pics of the stunning view on a bit of land that looks as though it has been turned into some sort of unofficial remembrance spot where people have left stones piled on top of each other and flowers and crosses with people’s names on.
I then set off and had my break by the side of Loch Cluanie another stunning spot where i went down onto a little tiny bit of sand and took some panoramic pictures of the view in front of me. It was then on my way towards the Kyle Of Lochalsh and the run from Shiel Bridge past Eilean Donan Castle towards Kyle Of Lochalsh I can only describe as one of the most picturesque I’ve ever driven in the UK.
It was then over the bridge which joins the Isle Of Skye to the mainland and admiring the views to my right of the Cullin Hills in the distance. I then drove down the Sleat peninsula towards Armadale where I boarded my first ferry a 30min crossing over to Mallaig. I got to Mallaig and had a bit of a wait for the ferry over to Loch Boisdale so I parked the truck in Fergusons yard at the side of the harbour and just stretched my legs, it’s a lovely little place Mallaig.
Onto the ferry at 17:30 and a 3 hour 30 minutes crossing over to Loch Boisdale in South Uist. We docked at South Uist at 21:00 and had a stunning sunset to admire going down over the Outer Hebrides as we was on our final stretch of the journey into the small harbour. I came off the ferry and parked up in the small harbour for the night.

Hope you enjoyed your trip but (and I hate to be picky here), why on earth did you go that way? By my reckoning you’ve done about 30 odd miles too many and spent £■■■ on ferries unneccesarily!

From Spean Bridge take the A82 into Fort William. At the roundabout (10 miles) turn right. Mallaig is 45 miles away.

Total distance = 55 miles.
Time - 90 minutes max

Spean Bridge to Kyle = 65 miles.
Kyle to Armadale = 22 miles.

Total distance = 87 miles.
Time - 3 to 4 hours +?

Don’t tell me you were following prat nav - were you?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: