Wee hebridean diary. (plenty of pics)

As I have no work today I decided to share with you some nice pictures from one of my trips to Outher Hebrides, where I was working about one year ago. Some of you were asking me for that before, so now that’s it!

That was one of my weekly trips, it was about 07/2007. It was one of my last trips for them, and I really miss going there. Altough money was small, that was really good place to work: decent boss, good lorries, family atmosphere and if not heavy lifting, which was tons of to do every time, I would want to come back there at any time…

DAY ONE

So I am leaving depot in Wenesday morning. After leaving Glasgow I am going up along Loch Lomond and after about 1 hr of driving through nice mountains

we are approaching Glencoe

It’s really beautifull place:

I am going pass Fort Wiliam and just before Loch Lomond I am turning left for Kyle of Lochalsh. It’s one beautifull place to stop at the coast with beautifull view over the lakes Skye. (There is also a small village shop there)

After passing Skye Bridge we got to pass some really step hills:

(Sorry, i haven’t turned this picture, please fogive me :stuck_out_tongue: You can see old road down there, which is going along the coast and new road is made through the hills).
On approach to Portree we can see this famous sky rocks:

And shortly after passing Portree we are in Uig, where is ferry to Lochmaddy departing from.
Crossing takes approximately 1h 40 minutes and embarking and disembarking is really fast, and as Hebrideans do not like to wake up too early in the morning I decide to do couple deliveries at the evening.

Hebrides Haulage is specific company, as not much lorries going up there, so we are delivering everything - from pallets through furniture and other stuff to TNT parcels. So i am heading to my first drops, passing this nice warehouse:

and guys who are picking peat to use it in fireplaces (there is not too much forests in Hebrides, so timber is quite expensive).

And at the end of the road I reached my first drop: I am not brave enough to drive there with heavy lorry, but it’s only a small parcel.

On the way back i am passing deers - they seems to completely ignoring my presence:

Not far from there I see herd of highland cattle:

They seems to belong to the small farm, where I have another delivery: tractor tyres.

You can see beautifull example of Hebridean art of lorry loading - i seen something like this before only in Turkey.
I asked Farmer how to go to another farm with my next delivery. He pointed one small house with his finger and told me “that’s there”. I asked him how to got there? Should I come back to the main road and then go through tne village and then… but he interrupted me: “No, no go on the beach and then take the third exit”. I wasn’t sure if beach is suitable place for lorry, but he assured me that it is - locals do it all the time…

So I decided to try:

And it was indeed suitable for HGV’s :grimacing:

On the way back I passed the local gaelic library:

and some sort of local used parts shop to Soviet Union made cars:

As an owner of this car explained me another time: It’s hard to get ANY car parts here, so I bought a car, what is easy to fix with the hammer. Isn’t it smart?

Then it came time to go to bed. And what is more refreshing than a short walk along the beach at the evening?

It’s sometimes hard to find place to park a lorry on hebrides, as we cannot park on passing places. I was too short of driving time to go to one of my usual places (near to the tourist toilet or in village pub) so I used one of camping fields. It was marked with parking sign and it wasn’t stated “No HGV’s” so I hope i Was perfectly legal:

DAY TWO

First thing in the morning is to pass from North Uist to Benbecula. There is really nice long causeway (almost 2 km long) which is really danger to drive on during the storm. But this day weather was beauifull, so I just enjoyed nice view:

On benbecula I had a meeting with a local van driver from our company. He took over all my small staff, so I had only big things left on the lorry (and few parcels, which were on my way anyway).
One of the first delivery had really nice road to get in:

Then I was heading South, stopping from time to time for some deliveries.

Last one was on very south, on the tiny Eriskay isle, where usually small van is working. But this time it wasn’t possible, as stuff was too long and it was no way to fit in into the small van.
That one, with small help of some passer-by wasn’t very hard to find (altough adress written in the lines “Ms XXXX, Eriskay” wasn’t giving you too much information) but then it turned to be another problem: How to get there?

I asked for advice one of the boat keepers and they told me “it can be bit narrow on this side road, but you shall pass”. Hm. Can there be even more narrow than THAT?

Yes, it can! Also step and bendy…

Guy assured me, that it will be turning space at the end of the road, but there was a problem - car was parked in turning space and I cannot manage to turn:

I was happy that I wasn’t driving my own nissan primera, as it had even worse turning circle then this orange bug :wink:
Lucky me, lady, who was owed this car spotted me through her shower window and she runned out wearing only her bath robe (again lucky me :grimacing:) to move her car for me.

If you are interested about how I returned to the main road, you can wath this movie: http://youtube.com/watch?v=q-MALAk4BWg but i ■■■■■■ something with that and the sound is broken. But that still can give you some wiev of Eriskay driving.

As I was on Eriskay, at the evening with the empty lorry and I had nothing to do, as next ferry was at 8 in the morning I decided to go for some beach walk and watch sunset. I parked on Barra slip-way ferry terminal and enjoyed the sunset.

Perfect postcard from Scotland:

I took some pictures of myself: I had long hairs in this time :slight_smile:

perfect sunset:

Yet another one:

It was a bit cold, but there were some people and the fire, so I warmed myself and chatted with them.

When the darkness came I drove to lochbaighsdale to ferry terminal. On the way I stopped in one place, when I knew, that I can reach my mobile network and I had spoken with my girl.

DAY THREE

There was some suprise at the ferry terminal: as I had no booking for this ferry, as I supposed to use Lochmaddy ferry at previous afternoon, which wasn’t possible due to this Eriskay delivery there wasn’t a space for me. But they told me to hold on and if that will be possible there will try to fit my lorry onto ferry. But, unfortunably, it wasn’t enaugh space to let me in:

So… Bye bye, Lord of the Isles…

Next departure: tommorow evening! Ouch…

Quick consultation with friendly guys from the office - there is no space for me on Lochmaddy ferry this afternoon as well, but It’s possible to go via barra or Lewis and Harris. Phone call to the boss and he sent me via Lewis and Harris. That’s cool - I had never been there before.

So after a quick coffe in the office (thank’s Ian and your friends) I setted up north again.

On North Uist i met one of the biggest vehicles on this islands - MacAskill artic (other one is from D.A. MacLeod)

At the Sound Of Harris ferry terminal I met the travelling bank:

After about one hour of waiting small vessel come to take me to the Harris island:

The views during the crossing are amazing. Vessel is swerving between hundreds of tiny islands and you can still see skye, islands and North Scotland…

There is no road access to this farm: you can get there only by boat:

And there we are:

One can tell, that the success is to have yacht on the one of mideterrain coasts, but it can be also an old fishing boat on the scottish islands, as you can see on that picture:

As i had some time before ferry was departing from Tarbert I was able to do couple of nice photostops:
here you have famous Harris sands:

What the shame, that it’s not so hot there like in croatia, becouse landscape and green water is as much beautifull and just inviting you to jump in and swim there:

For some people is even to cold for sunbathing, so they are going onto the beach in their cars:

Wee mountain crossing…

…and there we are. Ferry terminal in Tarbert:

Soon M/S Hebrides will open its jaws:

and there we are on board, sailing home. Look for these funny clouds, thats shows how low are clouds in Scotland. That’s something, what I wasn’t used to in Poland

Another similar picture:

Last view to the Uig ferry - bye bye, I promise to come back here for some holidays one day…

And there we are on the skye again. Only need some piece of straight road to overtake this really slow camper:

Another nice skye landscape…

Leaving Skye via Skye bridge…

How beautifull Scotland is: you can just put your camera outside the window when driving and shoot without looking and then you have another nice postcard:

Another nice scottish view:

What are all this stone towers? Is that some form of tribute to somebody?

I stopped for my 45’ under Commando Monument at sunset. I was in glasgow about the midnight…

So I hope you enjoyed and sorry for my english :blush:

Hi Orys

Cracking good pics,and a good read ! Scotland my favourite place! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Jus sublime… :smiley:

Great diary mate ,With stunning picts, we deliver in to the Glasgow depot , and HH takes pallets up for us, so prob passed you in there the depot !

Fantastic post mate, nice driving in your video, well impressed and envious.

thanks for the photos and write up
it was excellent , so we will now await your next
post perhaps from your new job ,

Exellent diary mate. I spend alot of time up the west coast myself and during the spring and summer it can be a stunning place to be, but during the winter it realy can bite you on the ■■■ if your not careful. :laughing: :laughing:

Best diary i have read, beautiful country to drive in. Went to Fort William for a weekend break, go to Achiltibuie for fishing trips. Gorgeous scenery.

By the looks of it, your also a keen photographer, some great shots there. Really make the diary great :smiley:

we all go on what a pig hole this country is turning into,but you gotta admit its got some of the best scenery in the world,by the way can you get any cheap car tyres ? :slight_smile:

Quality, very good diary.

fantastic pictures and what a place to live. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

superb diary and pictures orys, the west coast of scotland is about the only part of the british isles i have not visited as yet, im hoping to get up there on my motorbike for a look around, maybe in the summer as i have a bit of time off in july and it may not be raining by then!!!

orys really great diary and first class photography,I did 10 years delivering in UK to houses, addresses quite like the ones you do,I’m sure its really rough in the winter,when the sun shines it makes everywhere look good.that for your diary,keep them coming.
regards derek

Just fantastic :smiley:

Thanks!!

TC

really enjoyed that - thanks Orys :sunglasses:

i’ve often wanted to take pics/vids on the move as well. how did you do it, do you have a dashboard stand or something?

smile!:
i’ve often wanted to take pics/vids on the move as well. how did you do it, do you have a dashboard stand or something?

On DAF CF you have useful shelf at the dashboard, you can put your camera there and do movies. As for pictures, I am just taking them from hand, of course only when I am stopper or it’s safe to do so. I put my camera on leash and over my neck, to be able to drop it at every moment when it’s needed to catch driver wheel wth both hands.

Have just viewed your journey pics. Wow! You have a great job. Any chance of me working there as well!!

They are looking for drivers quite often - offers are usually in Jobcentre.
I can tell: small money, very hard hard work, but very decent boss and stunning views. It was one of the bests job I ever had.