More DCPC training bollocks

Conor:

stevieboy308:
Again walking back from the belly buster, dvsa parked up opposite me, I’ll sort the strap after the break, 99.9% of the time when they ain’t, I’ll go and sort it, I might speed, but not if there’s a rozzer behind me, I know the limit is 50mph, I ain’t gonna argue it ain’t if I’m going faster with no coppers about.

Common sense, simple common sense

Just accept you were wrong to take the ■■■■ out of the clown on this subject, we all [zb] up, it’s how you deal with the [zb] ups

You’re just another knuckledragger who calls themselves a professional but is just nothing but another example of a cowboy driver who runs bent and thinks that “just common sense innit guv” is a justification.

If I had my way given you all want to be called professionals and think you are then the DCPC should be run to the same standards as every other industry qualification I’ve done outside of transport. That is it has an exam at the end of it with a minimum 85% pass mark. No 85% or higher mark, no DCPC, no job. We’d see how many of you truckstop experts were back at work on the Monday, probably very few.

Conor me little ■■■■ sparrow, I’ve not called myself professional have I?

Anyway you’re just ■■■■■■ that I love correcting you, as you always bang on about people being the reason we needed the dcpc etc then get ■■■■ loads wrong :blush:

So I do take great pleasure in correcting you, lost count, you any idea how many times??

Harry Monk:
If so, do you not think that your DCPC training may not have been fit for purpose?

I went to the same place!!

It’s better now :wink: It was good to see they’d changed some things since the previous time I went!! Hoping for the same next time, alright blokes in there to be fair, so conor may get more right in the future, you’re welcome :laughing:

Harry Monk:
Funny how nobody seems to be happy to accept the obvious, that the DCPC training day should logically be recorded with a manual entry the next time you drive a truck as “other work”.

DCPC should be recorded as ‘other work’ if you are attending a course on the order of your employer…but it can count as a rest if you’ve organised it yourself.

I’m not sure what you do if you are an owner-driver… :smiley:

Harry Monk:
Funny how nobody seems to be happy to accept the obvious, that the DCPC training day should logically be recorded with a manual entry the next time you drive a truck as “other work”.

Er - that’s what I do. Seems perfectly logical to me…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

GasGas:

Harry Monk:

DCPC should be recorded as ‘other work’ if you are attending a course on the order of your employer…but it can count as a rest if you’ve organised it yourself.

So does that mean if you pay for your own cleaning clothes, you can clean your mirrors on break? :laughing:

Conor:
DCPC is sorely needed. Makes me laugh that truck drivers wonder why people don’t treat them like professionals when they have an attitude like Harry Monk’s.

The only sad part about the DCPC is that there’s no exam to sit. It’d weed out all the knuckle dragging neanderthals that seriously need to be purged from the job so the rest of us can see an improvement in conditions and pay.

I would have 20 Harry’s as my drivers over 20 DCPC instructors …or 20 Conor’s for that matter, he is a proper driver that treats the DCPC with the contempt it deserves in my opinion.
Have you ever been an owner driver ? Until you have done it you won’t understand what it’s like at the sharp end being financially responsible as well as legally !

So according to Conor anybody who does not agree with the dcpc is either a knucle dragger, a cowboy a dumb ■■■, or all three (2 of which I myself have been labelled by him in the past on here :sunglasses: :laughing: )
An ironic analysis from someone who takes every opportunity on here to convince us he is of superior intelligence to the rest of us plebs on here eh?
You may or may not be intellectually and academically intelligent Conor in comparison to the rest of us mate, who knows …who cares…
You may also be the most (self confessed) competent and capable driver, but intelligence and academical efficiency does not necessarilly go hand in hand with being a proficient driver.
I have known many guys who could not pass a theory exam to save themselves, but are good blokes with a truck, on the other hand also academically good guys who would never be drivers if their lives depended on it, so how would your theory of being able to pass an exam at 80% work exactly in real terms ■■?
I am not casting aspersions on your driving abilities personally either…, I’m merely pointing out that your theory on this is total ■■■■■■■■ tbh.
You should try thinking things through instead of making general sweeping statements, you are in a minority on here thinking the dcpc is the answer to all problems in this industry me old mate.
Try and resist the temptation to answer with a patronising insult in your usual way, or don’t…I don’t really give one tbh. :wink:

Odd days:
I think one of the problems is hgv driving covers a wide spectrum. Saying someone doesn’t know X about driving hours. If you’re driving for a builders merchant you’re never going to do split shift, ferry crossing, probably never do 15 hours. So why would you expect them to have any interest in those rules when they are quite happy in their world or section of work.

And that’s exactly right, the builders merchant job is probably 37.5 hours with 1/2 day in the yard or behind the counter so 90 hours a fortnight is of no consequence, neither is working every Saturday morning

3 wheeler:

Conor:
DCPC is sorely needed. Makes me laugh that truck drivers wonder why people don’t treat them like professionals when they have an attitude like Harry Monk’s.

The only sad part about the DCPC is that there’s no exam to sit. It’d weed out all the knuckle dragging neanderthals that seriously need to be purged from the job so the rest of us can see an improvement in conditions and pay.

I would have 20 Harry’s as my drivers over 20 DCPC instructors …or 20 Conor’s for that matter, he is a proper driver that treats the DCPC with the contempt it deserves in my opinion.
Have you ever been an owner driver ? Until you have done it you won’t understand what it’s like at the sharp end being financially responsible as well as legally !

He ran a computer repair shop from a council house!

muckles:

GasGas:

Harry Monk:

So does that mean if you pay for your own cleaning clothes, you can clean your mirrors on break? [emoji38]

Also what if I put my company uniform in the washing machine Saturday morning? Will I have to reset my weekend break?
Been worrying about that all day so I haven’t been able to get to sleep. Better take Monday off to recover I s’pose.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

muckles:

jakethesnake:

muckles:

jakethesnake:
This, from a man who claims to be an instructor in all things transport.

You do realise most of these clowns are ex lorry drivers. :wink:

And they have mostly been the worst instructors I’ve had to misfortune of being taught by.
Maybe the old adage of “Those who can do, those who can’t teach” holds true? :wink:
[/quote]

TBF they don’t all talk rubbish, well not all of the time anyway. Last course I was on just outside Aberdeen and the guy not only new his stuff but he had the humour to stop the boredom.
Ex bus driver BTW.

It’s all about whether they have been trained properly and whether they stick to what they have been taught. A bit like so called instructors (lorry drivers…so called instructors) within a company who only teach the way they do things which is generally wrong.

What chance has this industry of ever improving?

Not sure if they all don’t talk rubbish, I’ve been on courses that have been well run and good instructors and those that aren’t and have bad instructors.
Teaching is a skill, you can know your subject up, down and backwards, but it doesn’t mean you can teach it to others, in fact sometimes those that are really good at what they do are the worst teachers as they find it so easy they struggle to put it across in a way an average person an understand.

I’m all for training, but I’m not sure if those that teach a DCPC are taught to teach or just have to come up with a course and stump up the money to get it registered.

I also feel the DCPC was an opportunity missed, preaching to a load of drivers in a classroom seems the wrong way of doing it, considering most drivers probably aren’t particularly academic, but more likely to be practical people, I would have thought more hands on training would have more productive, but this is more expensive and the industry probably would have had to pay, so we got probably the simplest, cheapest and worst solution.

Two very good points there Muckles. I think you are probably correct in the fact that DCPC instructors training is very basic but that’s only a guess. It’s the usual basic training (low cost) and get them doing the job.(a bit like the LGV test) Trouble is as you say a lot do not have the ability to teach properly.

Second point as I mentioned earlier is there should be more practical training regarding driving standards etc and road safety etc but these subjects need to be put across in the correct manner otherwise you get the ‘I know all that’ that’s rubbish and my way’s right and you are wrong just like we hear on the DCPC courses now.Training needs to top notch and there needs to be an test at the end so the ones that do not listen do not get the qualification. :wink:

The problem with having to pass a written test after DCPC training is that if the trainer is talking ■■■■■■■■*, unless the test is independently marked unless you agree with this ■■■■■■■■* you will fail.

*my very first DCPC module was under some bod who reckoned he was a lorry driving instructor as well as DCPC trainer, and he went on and on about bloody brakes to slow and gears to go because lorry brakes are now so good that long established lorry driving techniques are no longer needed, as one of the oldest after about the tenth time of uttering this pish i could take this rubbish no longer and pointed out the errors of this method, basically he was flumoxed, but the majority younger drivers there might well have thought his version was gospel whilst the other older drivers semi snoozed and let him waffle.
Had there been a test at the end i would have failed had he marked it.

Incidentally that was the first and last time my employer used that shower, the much more professional people who have taken the courses since are leagues better, our courses tend to concentrate on keeping us out of trouble with the powers that be, and mainly by pass all that pointless guff, so our sessions are well worth doing…plus its a paid easy day and a free course so why not :sunglasses:

Juddian:
The problem with having to pass a written test after DCPC training is that if the trainer is talking ■■■■■■■■*, unless the test is independently marked unless you agree with this ■■■■■■■■* you will fail.

*my very first DCPC module was under some bod who reckoned he was a lorry driving instructor as well as DCPC trainer, and he went on and on about bloody brakes to slow and gears to go because lorry brakes are now so good that long established lorry driving techniques are no longer needed, as one of the oldest after about the tenth time of uttering this pish i could take this rubbish no longer and pointed out the errors of this method, basically he was flumoxed, but the majority younger drivers there might well have thought his version was gospel whilst the other older drivers semi snoozed and let him waffle.
Had there been a test at the end i would have failed had he marked it.

Incidentally that was the first and last time my employer used that shower, the much more professional people who have taken the courses since are leagues better, our courses tend to concentrate on keeping us out of trouble with the powers that be, and mainly by pass all that pointless guff, so our sessions are well worth doing…plus its a paid easy day and a free course so why not :sunglasses:

Exactly what I have been saying. That cannot be allowed to happen. The training needs to top notch and the test independently marked as you say.
And I know it’s not only DCPC trainers that talk ■■■■■■■■, I have experienced it several times on other courses.

I, too have been lucky with DCPC and I am glad I will never have to do it again but there needs to be something solid put in place if the industry is ever to improve but a lot of it comes down to cost!

It’s ok saying should have top notch training, but in reality it’s down to money. If you’re not on a high wage and have to pay for your own training you will inevitably look for the cheapest available. I know that there is a long who will not get out of bed for X amount but reality is that there is an awful lot that have to.

I have just had spat with someone on another forum who took umbrage at me that a driver is only professional when they put a suit on and go to Harehills House for a chat. I agree with Harry Monks sausages but we are Mobile labourers especially with the agency flooding the market

For what it’s worth I do think the DCPC is a good idea in theory, however it has been organised in a ■■■■ poor way.

On going training can only be a good thing but when you can do the same course 5 times to get the 35hours then it makes a mockery of the whole system.

Castillidie:
For what it’s worth I do think the DCPC is a good idea in theory, however it has been organised in a ■■■■ poor way.

On going training can only be a good thing but when you can do the same course 5 times to get the 35hours then it makes a mockery of the whole system.

In fairness, my DCPC trainer, who is a decent chap and an ex-driver himself agreed when I made this point to him,and also when I suggested that the lack of a pass/fail element meant there was no actual assessment of ability.

The reason for the latter of course is that for whatever noises they make, the last thing the Government would want is for (say) 30% of HGV licence holders to be prevented from driving HGVs.

The reason for the latter of course is that for whatever noises they make, the last thing the Government would want is for (say) 30% of HGV licence holders to be prevented from driving HGVs.

it would be more effective if 100% of driver’s said no more driving till you get rid of this drivel…

but that’s not going to happen is it. :unamused:

Castillidie:

Yep,definitely.

m.a.n rules:

it would be more effective if 100% of driver’s said no more driving till you get rid of this drivel…

but that’s not going to happen is it. :unamused:

Nail on head Harry. :wink: