Drivers DCPC.. is it worth the time and money?

Ther is currently a campaign being organised to try and get this awful piece of Euro trash placed firmly where it belongs, in the bin!
We are not in anyway against training, but it has to be good training with a proper validated qualificatiion, not some farcical system that allows you to fall asleep in a classroom and pay for the privilege.
I think it is important that as many drivers as possible have a the chance to voice thier views either for or against this, and so I have posted a blog giving details, and where you can find more information about this campaign.
I understand that RT.com and TNUK may have thier own campaign or agenda on the DCPC issue, and I do not want to step on any toes. however we need to get this out to as many drivers as possible so that each individual can make thier own judgement. RIKKI has kindly posted a link to the campaign page on this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70912 but requests that all discussions on this matter take place on the site that is organising the campaign, so please respect Riki’s wishes.
The JAUPT commitee comprising of interesed parties such as DVLA, VOSA, FTA, RHA, the unions and training organisations, say that there was a full public debate on the DCPC before it was implimented. Were you asked to take part? did you have any say in this? do you know anyone who was consulted? If your answer in no to any of those questions, then how could it be a “full public debate?”

for more details view the above post, or my blog at truckerjon.blogspot.com/2011/05/ … -dcpc.html

if only drivers looked at it as a jolly
a day off from driving once a year
hopefully at the companies expense

all sectors of work have training days
and maybe they are all teaching
grannies to ■■■■ eggs

There is a new government web site were you can voice your opinions on all matters regarding red tape in the transport industry including the pathetic driver CPC!
Take a look at the link below

redtapechallenge.cabinetoffi … ment-18199

Did an operators CPC course recently. The guy teaching ask for a show of hands ‘who is a LGV driver here?’ Roughly 50% of hands go up. ‘How many of you have done any formal drivers hours training?’ Of course not one single hand goes up.

Hmmmm… It kind of makes sense that is someone is legally required to do something they are also trained how to do it.

Also, because I’ve got ‘C+E’ put on my license I get paid more than a van driver, because anyone with a car license can do that. If there was another qualification that separates us from the man in the street, then, eventually, supply and demand means we are worth a bit more.

So for these reasons I’m in favour of further training beyond the practical vocational driving tests.

BUT the periodic DCPC isn’t fit for purpose as it stands. It’s stupid that there is no syllabus or testing, and that it’s possible that someone can do 35 hours of first aid and then go out on the roads without any idea about filling in a tacho or when to take a legal break.

I can see the point of it, how well executed it is I’m not sure as I havn’t done any hours in the classroom yet… If its any consolation you should see the aggro you have to go through to keep fitters paperwork and qualifications up to date! Same sort of thing, sit in a training room being told how to do your job (Which you’ve been doing for years without any major incident) normally by someone that has been off the spanners for 10 years plus! :confused:

The point is- its the same in every industry, in fact worse in some, its just one of those things that we’re going to have to accept I think…

Having driven an HGV Class 1 for the last 35 years can someone please explain why on earth i need 5 days training to tell my how to do what i have been doing for 35 years!!!
It’s an absolute pathetic waste of money and when 2013 comes i think i will call it a day

truckerjon:
Ther is currently a campaign being organised to try and get this awful piece of Euro trash placed firmly where it belongs, in the bin!
We are not in anyway against training, but it has to be good training with a proper validated qualificatiion, not some farcical system that allows you to fall asleep in a classroom and pay for the privilege.
I think it is important that as many drivers as possible have a the chance to voice thier views either for or against this, and so I have posted a blog giving details, and where you can find more information about this campaign.
I understand that RT.com and TNUK may have thier own campaign or agenda on the DCPC issue, and I do not want to step on any toes. however we need to get this out to as many drivers as possible so that each individual can make thier own judgement. RIKKI has kindly posted a link to the campaign page on this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70912 but requests that all discussions on this matter take place on the site that is organising the campaign, so please respect Riki’s wishes.
The JAUPT commitee comprising of interesed parties such as DVLA, VOSA, FTA, RHA, the unions and training organisations, say that there was a full public debate on the DCPC before it was implimented. Were you asked to take part? did you have any say in this? do you know anyone who was consulted? If your answer in no to any of those questions, then how could it be a “full public debate?”

for more details view the above post, or my blog at truckerjon.blogspot.com/2011/05/ … -dcpc.html

Um yes, we did. I remember a lengthy discussion about it on these very forums well in advance of the consultation and were told if we wanted to have our say then this was our chance. As usual, the room went silent just like it always does when it comes to actually getting off one’s arse and doing stuff …and the rest is history. :unamused:

‘Horse, bolted’ comes to mind now.

Anyway if it’s being organised by Tozer then it’s guaranteed to come to nothing. He talks a good story and is highly experienced at sending ‘Happy Keith’ style letters to all and sundry to “open channels” but that’s always where it ends.

Rob K:

truckerjon:

Um yes, we did. I remember a lengthy discussion about it on these very forums well in advance of the consultation and were told if we wanted to have our say then this was our chance. As usual, the room went silent just like it always does when it comes to actually getting off one’s arse and doing stuff …and the rest is history. :unamused:

‘Horse, bolted’ comes to mind now.

Anyway if it’s being organised by Tozer then it’s guaranteed to come to nothing. He talks a good story and is highly experienced at sending ‘Happy Keith’ style letters to all and sundry to “open channels” but that’s always where it ends.

(gets out soapbox to stand on :wink: )
I wasn’t on this site when the discussion took place, so can’t comment on it. As for barrie, well at least he is doing more than just whinging about it, then paying up like a good little boy.
The point is that no one is against training as such, what we are against is worthless, money grabbing training that does nothing to benefit the average driver.
I have been involved in driver training for the past 20+ years as Instructor, company trainer and assessor, so there are few people who know the need for training better than I.There are plenty of ways of delivering good, practical and beneficial to the drivers and the operators. I currently train out job specific training on several sites, and each one produces a driver who is better trained to perform his daily routine to the standard required, than anything currently offered through the CPC trainers. There is also practical training and assessment that shows how much or little the driver has learnt, and a chance for the drivers to give feedback on the standard and content of training, where is this in the CPC?
To say that it is too late is wrong, most major protests take place once bad law has been implimented, and people can actually see just how bad it is.
If drivers are serious about improving thier lot in life, then this could be the first step to us being heard, once the government etc realise we CAN speak as one, then we will be in a better position to lobby for improvements in other areas.
Sit on the fence, pay up and do nothing, or join the protest and let your voice be heard?
The decision is yours and yours alone.

( falls off soapbox and sues persil :laughing: )

Come on lads, show your support! :smiley:

truckerjon:
Come on lads, show your support! :smiley:

As I’ve already said, you’re too late kid. It’s signed and sealed now. You had your chance a few years back but let it go by. So as the saying goes, you’ve made your bed…

truckerjon:
‘…Drivers DCPC… is it worth the time and money…?’

No, it isn’t worth a tuppenny toss - but since the nation loves paying to be in the the EU and abiding by it’s nonsense (because they vote to keep it by voting for the Lib/Lab/Con), those of us that loathe Europe’s intrusion in British affairs are democratically stuck with it.

Rob K:
‘… Tozer … talks a good story and is highly experienced at sending ‘Happy Keith’ style letters…’

Let him stand on his own merit - why corrupt mine? :wink:

hitch:
if only drivers looked at it as a jolly
a day off from driving once a year
hopefully at the companies expense

all sectors of work have training days
and maybe they are all teaching
grannies to ■■■■ eggs

Ahh yes,that has to be the sentiment. It’s no good bucking against it, it’s here to stay, and most attempts to remove it will be ■■■■■■■ in the wind. I was dubious at first, but I’ve found that I usually learn something new, and, hey ho! I don’t have to pay for it either.

papermonkey:

hitch:
It’s no good bucking against it, it’s here to stay, and most attempts to remove it will be ■■■■■■■ in the wind. .

Not necessarily remember the Home Information Packs. They were suspended with immediate effect from 21 May 2010 after a huge outcry against them.
The more people that voice their opinion against the DCPC the better!
So come on drivers PLEASE do your bit and join the debate on the Cabinet office web site here > redtapechallenge.cabinetoffi … ment-18199

moomooland:

hitch:
‘… It’s no good bucking against it, it’s here to stay, and most attempts to remove it will be ■■■■■■■ in the wind…’

‘…Not necessarily remember the Home Information Packs. They were suspended with immediate effect from 21 May 2010 after a huge outcry against them…’

Yeah, but perhaps realise that Home Information Packs were a half baked Blair concoction not a Franco-■■■■ style EU Directive from Brussels paid for by us with Blair’s, Brown’s, Clegg’s, Cameron’s and that Labour fool with the speech defect’s full approval.

As hitch advises, I too suggest that “for you, Tommy, you are too late, ze vorr is offa, you are beaten, ja?” but I’ll support any fight that’s going to take it on :smiling_imp:

Biscuits:
Did an operators CPC course recently. The guy teaching ask for a show of hands ‘who is a LGV driver here?’ Roughly 50% of hands go up. ‘How many of you have done any formal drivers hours training?’ Of course not one single hand goes up.

Hmmmm… It kind of makes sense that is someone is legally required to do something they are also trained how to do it.

Also, because I’ve got ‘C+E’ put on my license I get paid more than a van driver, because anyone with a car license can do that. If there was another qualification that separates us from the man in the street, then, eventually, supply and demand means we are worth a bit more.

So for these reasons I’m in favour of further training beyond the practical vocational driving tests.

BUT the periodic DCPC isn’t fit for purpose as it stands. It’s stupid that there is no syllabus or testing, and that it’s possible that someone can do 35 hours of first aid and then go out on the roads without any idea about filling in a tacho or when to take a legal break.

Exactly. I’m in support but it does need some tweaking.

Don’t agree with our EU membership and the things we get forced upon us through it, however, judging by some of the extremely basic, dumb questions often asked on this forum by allegedly professional drivers, the DCPC is very much needed.

Driveroneuk:
Don’t agree with our EU membership and the things we get forced upon us through it, however, judging by some of the extremely basic, dumb questions often asked on this forum by allegedly professional drivers, the DCPC is very much needed.

I think that a lot of people are missing the point. We are not against training, whether thats informal training offered by employers, or officially recognised training as sanctioned by the government. we are not against the DCPC in principle, we are against it in it’s current form.
Training is useless if it is not structured and directed at the needs of the individual. Under the current scheme it is more than likely that theses “dumb” questions will not be answered by the DCPC. Most of these dumb questions are asked by reletively new drivers, and that goes to prove that the initial DCPC training is not working.I fully agree that new drivers should complete a CPC style course on basics, but it has to be the right training given by the right people. you only have to look on here at the comments about the poor quality of training and the incorrect information given by the DCPC trainers.
The current DCPC is like going to hospital to have your tonsils out, then coming home with your leg half amputated, you’ve had an operation but it’s not the one you needed, and it’s not been performed properly.

There are many thousands of drivers that must pay for this training themselves, I don’t know about anyone else, but when I pay for something, I expect it to be what I want it to be. If I go to Tesco to buy something to eat, I don’t expect them to give me a bottle of bleach and a pack of light bulbs.

good training should be targeted at the individual or at groups with the same job description, it should be accurate, up to date and topical. It needs practical as well as therory input, and it needs validation to ensure that it performed correctly. None of these points are addressed by the current DCPC

I tend to agree TJ.

truckerjon:
‘… Training is useless if it is not structured and directed at the needs of the individual …’

So why target those that have had training (ie, Me: Training helped me pass my categories) and have passed a vocational test (That’s me, again) and who by definition are keen & competent drivers (Guess who, because I flippin do it for a job).

Why not target the audience for ‘training’ to include those that, eg, passed a test at 18 and are now in their 40’s with poor habits …or those who hate or are scared of driving …or those who have loads of money and a prestige car, or those that a decently empowered police force - or the crummy agency equivalent that we have these days, could easily identify by their crashes and poor road behaviour, etc, etc.

Those clowns are amongst the groups without the first clues on how to socially, efficiently or safely manage themselves on the road. Why not ‘train’ them first? They are the donkeys that I have to second guess every day at work and not other lorry drivers!

I’m pee’d off being bled by manufactured DVLA licence, medical & renewal costs, etc; undemocratically concluded EU Directives and associated larks that my good driving record suggests that I don’t need :imp:

How come the rest of our nation’s drivers are afforded liberal habits to breed amongst them but I’m compulsorily being nannied?

Happy Keith:

truckerjon:
‘… Training is useless if it is not structured and directed at the needs of the individual …’

So why target those that have had training (ie, Me: Training helped me pass my categories) and have passed a vocational test (That’s me, again) and who by definition are keen & competent drivers (Guess who, because I flippin do it for a job).

Why not target the audience for ‘training’ to include those that, eg, passed a test at 18 and are now in their 40’s with poor habits …or those who hate or are scared of driving …or those who have loads of money and a prestige car, or those that a decently empowered police force - or the crummy agency equivalent that we have these days, could easily identify by their crashes and poor road behavior, etc, etc.

Those clowns are amongst the groups without the first clues on how to socially, efficiently or safely manage themselves on the road. Why not ‘train’ them first? They are the donkeys that I have to second guess every day at work and not other lorry drivers!

I’m pee’d off being bled by manufactured DVLA licence, medical & renewal costs, etc; undemocratically concluded EU Directives and associated larks that my good driving record suggests that I don’t need :imp:

How come the rest of our nation’s drivers are afforded liberal habits to breed amongst them but I’m compulsorily being nannied?

Agreed, But the reason we are targeted is because those who come up with this wonderful idea most probably fall into the same category of the Muppet that is often responsible for accidents, the ones that won their driving licence in a raffle, and their DSA test examiner was registered blind and deaf,

Personally i think the driving test for cars should be in 2 parts, or should include driving on a motorway, because the amount of muppets on them is unreal, they are clueless of how to even join/exit a motorway, and are oblivious to other traffic around them, then add some bad weather and things really do get scary for us never mind them,and they think it’s us who need training every 5 years, what utter bull manure