Milton Keynes Traction Services

Drove through Hockliffe on the A5 this evening.
The garage and yard that used to be Milton Keynes Traction Services now a housing estate
Just wondering what happened to Neville.
Always a good alternative for sourcing new and second hand Volvo parts.
Never used their services to remap my Volvo’s did anyone on here ■■
Or buy a truck always seemed to have on the front for sale

Neville chipped an ex suttons 380 6x2 fm tractor unit for me about 9 years ago, he used to travel up to derbyshire now and again, though I used to go through hockliffe quite often I never needed to call in at the garage
the truck did go much better and was no problem after the chip
moose

Before the Hockliffe operation some of you may remember the yard MKTS ran from the bus garage in Milton Keynes
Even before that I seem to remember a little industrial unit in Bletchley behind the railway line
From here they used to rebuild Volvo Gearboxes anyone else remember this operation

I used to deal with Mkts for spares where I used to work they were very helpful. I think you’ll find Neville was ill, don’t quote me but I’m sure he had the dreaded C…
Never visited where they were, shame to hear its a housing estate now though.

I think the yard was at the bottom end of Bleak Hall in Milton Keynes, when I worked for Cawleys driving an F10 on landfill work, they used to supply a lot of spares. I didn’t know any of the fitters personally but it was a great source for Volvo parts.

I don’t think that they’ve been in Hockliffe for a few years now. That site has been empty for quite a while, then one day the diggers moved in & now it’s all houses.

ERF ECX:
I used to deal with Mkts for spares where I used to work they were very helpful. I think you’ll find Neville was ill, don’t quote me but I’m sure he had the dreaded C…

I saw Neville about two months ago, he still does a bit of spanner work but only to suit himself! he didn’t look ill to me though, in fact he looked quite well :wink:
MKTS was run by Mark Allum who also ran some of his own units pulling for MAT Transport, which was a fair while before he started doing the chipping, if I remember correctly his missus wore the trousers and wouldn’t stand for any crap from anyone :open_mouth:

lemonmouth:

ERF ECX:

I saw Neville about two months ago, he still does a bit of spanner work but only to suit himself! he didn’t look ill to me though, in fact he looked quite well :wink:
MKTS was run by Mark Allum who also ran some of his own units pulling for MAT Transport, which was a fair while before he started doing the chipping, if I remember correctly his missus wore the trousers and wouldn’t stand for any crap from anyone :open_mouth:

His wife is called Sharon and yes from what I remember a very strong willed character
Yes Mark had some units pulling for MAT
He often advertised traction work available

I remember swapping a trailer in their yard for Mat Transport.
I think it was an Industrial unit/estate I went to

Mark used to run some Volvo’s on for MAT, 2 F88’s driven by Noel Kennet and Cliff Eames and a F89 driven by Bob Mackay (Curly Bob), they were sort of a biege colour. I was on for John Brown subbing for MAT at the same time with an F10 then an F12 6 legger, they were blue and had Trucklink on the door, the F10 was a V reg, maybe MGE■■? the F12 was FBE41Y. Wasn’t Marks wife called Sue, her brother Melvyn Deacon(sorry, he would rather be called Harry) used to work for Mark, same time as Neville, I was at Tricentrol with him for a while.

Xdriver:
Mark used to run some Volvo’s on for MAT, 2 F88’s driven by Noel Kennet and Cliff Eames and a F89 driven by Bob Mackay (Curly Bob), they were sort of a biege colour. I was on for John Brown subbing for MAT at the same time with an F10 then an F12 6 legger, they were blue and had Trucklink on the door, the F10 was a V reg, maybe MGE■■? the F12 was FBE41Y. Wasn’t Marks wife called Sue, her brother Melvyn Deacon(sorry, he would rather be called Harry) used to work for Mark, same time as Neville, I was at Tricentrol with him for a while.

I reckon that F12 FBE41Y ended up on the second hand sales patch at Dawsonfreight I reckon Eddie tried selling it to my ole Dad
Small world

Keep digging out the pictures Andy!!!

You may well be right there Gary, you should know what Ed was like, we worked with him for long enough, God bless him. By the way, looked on your site, great pic of the old Leyland, I don’t think your quite old enough, but I can remember this old girl. Many years ago when Dad worked for Dawsons, he had a Foden S24, reg BBM 489C I think, at that time they used to do quite a bit for Terrapin and I used to go with him when I could. He was good mates with your Dad. Oh, and yes, I’m still driving trains, I’m an instructor now, not long before I finish though :smiley: , some say about time too!!! :imp:

Here’s one for you Gary, my old F10 parked outside Mums house, must be about 1982-ish. This was taken by my brother, Malcolm, I didn’t know he had it until a little while ago. P.S. that was when you could park nearly anywhere you wanted to!!!.

H G BROWN TRUCKLINK F10.jpg

Xdriver:
You may well be right there Gary, you should know what Ed was like, we worked with him for long enough, God bless him. By the way, looked on your site, great pic of the old Leyland, I don’t think your quite old enough, but I can remember this old girl. Many years ago when Dad worked for Dawsons, he had a Foden S24, reg BBM 489C I think, at that time they used to do quite a bit for Terrapin and I used to go with him when I could. He was good mates with your Dad. Oh, and yes, I’m still driving trains, I’m an instructor now, not long before I finish though :smiley: , some say about time too!!! :imp:

So
Six years today R.I.P dad

The Boys Own:
Before the Hockliffe operation some of you may remember the yard MKTS ran from the bus garage in Milton Keynes
Even before that I seem to remember a little industrial unit in Bletchley behind the railway line
From here they used to rebuild Volvo Gearboxes anyone else remember this operation

Gary, they used to be at the bottom of Sinclair Court on the left off the old A5 just before the railway bridge at Denbigh

Back in the mid 90s I ran a 4 x 2 F16 and Neville and his team stretched it to 6 x 2 with a “S” ride tag axle.Was a beast of a motor with a 500 lump,top gear over Shap summit M6 with 26ton rails and around 5/6 mpg lol.
Bought a lot of scrap F88s and spares and a few good units as well.The boss and Neville were nice people to deal with and always had time for you.Have a few old snaps
some taken at MKTS old bus depot.