K P Iddon Leyland

Whats the story ( warts and all ) behind the closure or whatsoever of what I beleave a very good company to work for .

Phillip Iddon is an absolute gent as any Haulier or proper driver from the Preston area will tell you.

I left Iddons just before the fatal accident in the yard that resulted in the HSE/VOSA inspection.

TBH they were just keeping their heads above water and I think they were glad to sell up.

I understand Phillip runs the Leyland branch of Steadplan on the original premises and considerably happier than he was running trucks.

W

Many thanks Alex for confirming what I have been told in the past . A relation of mine was manager for the ERF dealer in Aberdeen , a KP Iddon vehicle was involved in a minor mishap and required repairs , my relation did indeed found the " Iddons " excellent people to deal with . I"am glad to learn that someone of his calibre is still involved in the transport in the Lancashire area . Its sad to see many companies like Iddons leaving the transport industry in the your area , ie.> ELW , J&H Hinchcliffe , etc . Although I"am not from the Lancashire area I have always admired the get up and go attitude which exists among the transport industry there . Finally have you any infomation regarding Turners of Hoole and Clarendon Haulage of Mellor are fairing since K+N Drinks Logistics took over the InBev at Samelsbury ? .

i

Our Lane at home backs onto Turners yard in Hoole. The yard is hidden by big fir trees planted by Joe Turner for the benefit of the local residents. That’s the mark of the man.

The trucks and drivers are as popular as ever in the village but I doubt they will be expanding any time soon.

I work for another well established family firm in Walton le Dale. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to mention them on web forums but I’m pleased to say we’re doing OK.

Clarendens are still working hard in the Brewery. From what I’ve seen KNDL seem to be making a fair fist of things (at least they have improved the loading area).

A few of the Iddons lads got TUPED to ELW and then on to Kenyons in Blackburn when they picked up the pieces when ELW shut down earlier this year. TBH most of them were ready for retirement anyhow.

WH Bowkers seem to be doing a lot but what exactly I’m not sure. Whatever it is they’ll be doing it well.

Finally, Ainsworth and Martins is Ainsworth and Martins…

W

walton le dale hhhmmm who could be :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: have got a kev mayo working there

alix776:
walton le dale hhhmmm who could be :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: have got a kev mayo working there

No but we do have a bloke we all call Harry Hill.

I hope from my previous post you can tell that I don’t work for Chris Miller. I admit there is a Steel Stockholder and a Car Transporter firm on Walton flats but I’ve never worked for either or driven a bulker.

If I narrowed it down anymore I’d have to send you the address of the yard.

Good luck,

W

I used to work for Chris Millers many years ago, when they were at Marsh lane

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.928266,-3.269793
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

I remember Millers on Winery Lane but not up in Preston. We’re you in what became Endmonsons old place?

W

Many thanks Alex for the information , if you have any more interesting news about your area please post it on the site ,many thanks again Shugg .

AlexWignall:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

I remember Millers on Winery Lane but not up in Preston. We’re you in what became Endmonsons old place?

W

they had a place behind edmunsons,long gone now, 25 years ago now since I was there, most of the drivers transferred to ainscough cranes. It was a fantastic job

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.928409,-3.269923

shugg:
Many thanks Alex for the information , if you have any more interesting news about your area please post it on the site ,many thanks again Shugg .

You’re welcome Shugg.

I know it sounds daft but I like having the name of my home town on the rear and sides of my truck and I consider myself lucky to be part of the local transport scene.

I’ve seen a very smart ERF and Curtainsided trailer in the old Iddons livery working around Immingham and on the M62. The trucks that went to auction had signwriting removed so I guess somebody from Iddons is having a go again.

Did you know that Iddons had a huge racing pigeon loft in the yard? You can’t get any more ‘Northern’ than that! Haha

I shall have to drive past to see if it’s still there…

W

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

AlexWignall:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

W

they had a place behind edmunsons,long gone now, 25 years ago now since I was there, most of the drivers transferred to ainscough cranes. It was a fantastic job

Goes to show what can be achieved from the back streets of Preston.

I couldn’t for the life of me remember how to spell ‘Edmunsons’ last night so I’m sorry about that.

I still see that big Chris Miller van around Preston are they still doing a bit?

W

Alex is the yard for Brs still at Much hoole ? , It use to be a busy place when Brs had it .

AlexWignall:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

AlexWignall:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

W

Goes to show what can be achieved from the back streets of Preston.

I couldn’t for the life of me remember how to spell ‘Edmunsons’ last night so I’m sorry about that.

I still see that big Chris Miller van around Preston are they still doing a bit?

W

Chris miller transport all but shut down years ago, I think one of the sons went into lifting boats in and out of the marina in Preston docks. I think they still do a little machinery movements but not sure as I moved to Scotland 20 years ago. I also worked for Cannings in Leyland for a time also

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.928305,-3.269930

ive recently seen and erf in iddons colours , with the name john iddon on the side , any ideas?

largebloke1969:
ive recently seen and erf in iddons colours , with the name john iddon on the side , any ideas?

I know John Iddon was Keith and Phillips Dad. I don’t know the family so I couldn’t say if it’s him or his Waggon.

W

JAKEY:
Alex is the yard for Brs still at Much hoole ? , It use to be a busy place when Brs had it .

Hi Jakey, the BRS buildings at Hoole have hardly changed in outward appearance since my childhood in the seventies.

The buildings are divided into up into differently sized industrial units. I even have a pal who sells cars from one of them.

One huge warehouse was used to store FMD Bonemeal since the epidemic. It’s a just undergone a year long refurbishment.

I would of loved to see the place in action during it’s heyday.

W

Hiya…has no one got a photo of the Iddon Leyland Marathan i thought it looked the bees knees,
John

largebloke1969:

That would be this one

wheeltapper:

largebloke1969:

That would be this one

Spot on. I always liked that livery. Good luck to him.

W