Map Recommendation Please

adam277:
You don’t need a atlas. You have a sat nav use it.

General rule of thumb when planning your route is
Stick to motorways/A roads for as long as practical.
That’s really it. If a road looks dodgy don’t go down it.
If a bridge is too small don’t go under it.
If you see a 7.5t zone well… Just ignore it.

Basically im saying your prat Nav has a map on it usually with a overlay showing weight and height restrictions just use that to plan your route.

I’m saying all this because I’m assuming your newish to truck driving and some old ■■■■ has probably suggested you get one if in fact I’m wrong and you are someone who enjoys using maps feel free to Ignore me.

Ok then, so going by your criteria for deciding (or being told by a sat nav in your case) what would you.

20180824_113158.jpg

20180824_094240.jpg

20180824_094201.jpg

One of the reasons I don’t use a truck sat nav as half the places I need to go to it ‘‘wouldn’t let’’ me.
Third one particularly harder being upside down fly through. :unamused: :laughing:

Looks like the sort of roads I go on but your lucky to have Tarmac :smiley:

amazon.co.uk/Exerz-Educatio … ords=globe

Think bigger!!

robroy:

adam277:

Basically im saying your prat Nav has a map on it usually with a overlay showing weight and height restrictions just use that to plan your route.

I’m saying all this because I’m assuming your newish to truck driving and some old ■■■■ has probably suggested you get one if in fact I’m wrong and you are someone who enjoys using maps feel free to Ignore me.

Ok then, so going by your criteria for deciding (or being told by a sat nav in your case) what would you.

One of the reasons I don’t use a truck sat nav as half the places I need to go to it ‘‘wouldn’t let’’ me.
Third one particularly harder being upside down fly through. :unamused: :laughing:

It actually would if that’s the only way in, mine has directed me down many such roads out of necessity

robroy:

adam277:

Robroy you seem a decent sort of bloke - how about I lend you my tomotom for a week and you try it out. It would send you down there (with a warning) if it had too. I am not sure you have tried the latest and best. Mine would also take you around traffic. They are great - and honestly, if you have google maps on your phone you can easily get anywhere to the door so so easily.

I do check the route on the sat nav.
If I see that it wants to take me down some Broad then down some road called ‘Old nans hat lane’ I often try and establish why sometimes its because the its a prat nav and it wants to save me 30 secs by going down some silly road other times its the only way in.

sammym:

robroy:

adam277:

Robroy you seem a decent sort of bloke - how about I lend you my tomotom for a week and you try it out. It would send you down there (with a warning) if it had too. I am not sure you have tried the latest and best. Mine would also take you around traffic. They are great - and honestly, if you have google maps on your phone you can easily get anywhere to the door so so easily.

Thanks for the offer mate, very kind of you, but the fact is I’ve no desire or need for one.
I only just started using my basic sat nav in last 10 yrs or so, and admit I would not be without it.
It broke about 3 yrs ago and I ran without one for about 3 months, decided that I missed it, and bought a new one, but again a basic one as a guide.
Started this job in 1979,.so I kinda know my way around :smiley: …but again thanks,.apprereciate it. :wink:

switchlogic:

robroy:

adam277:

It actually would if that’s the only way in, mine has directed me down many such roads out of necessity

I thought it might tbh Luke.
I just (reluctantly) rely on info given by the particular farmer over the phone, and a bit of common sense, but I’ve had a couple of dodgy instructions in the past…but ok so far touch wood. :smiley:

Forget the truck maps, it’s like lugging the phone book from hell around with you. Amazon do a small size Uk map which fits nicely in your bag. Sorry, I can’t do links on my phone. You don’t need all the info on limits anyway, that’s what your satnav is for.

Look for Collins a5 atlas.

Anyone know what technology the firms that provide wide load routes use ,only iam just checking my movement order for tomorrow and there’s a 10 ft 6 bridge on the route ( according to the map in my head not some zb sat nav ) :open_mouth: and the lorry is 11 ft 6 before I load up !

Has anyone come across an A4 2019 descent Truckers Atlas they can recommend please, all I seem to be able to find is the massive books.

I need one that’s A4 size to fit in my bag…the AA version is great but just too big

You need a bigger bag!

idrive:
You need a bigger bag!

Hahaha…this is so true!

Bags are like sheds , the bigger they are the more junk you put in them :unamused:

I’ve always been happy with the AA truckers atlas
Scale 3 miles to the inch is ideal for UK

In reality though it’s used less and less, but I still like to carry it for route planning to an unfamiliar place before I program the sat nav.

Navigation aids are :-

Phoning the delivery point to check it’s suitable for your vehicle
Asking other drivers who’ve been previously
Using google maps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve just purchased the AA Truckers atlas 2018 (8th edition) from my local discount store (Yorkshire trading) which I carry as a back up to my TT5150 for the princely sum of £1.49! Bargain.

In the main I use Google maps. Street view and satellite imagery combined are an excellent free tool for our line of work.
This, combined with a Truckers Atlas for Bridge Heights does for me.
Surely most (particularly Artic drivers with tall trailers) truckers have a big heavy spiral bound atlas with bridge heights?
My truck has a satnav inbuilt. I’ll use it when going somewhere new. To use it blindly suggests dumbbugger status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk