Which Truckers Atlas (2017)?

After reading an old thread on which atlas to go for, which one would you recommend these days?

The AA or the Phillips Truckers atlas?

This’ll be to run along side a sat nav*, once I get one of those too…

*Or should I just stick to google maps on my phone etc…?

Philips Truckers atlas all the way best investment you can make, sat nav takes your pick, best think is your own brain and common sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^^^^^^

eBay isn’t the cheapest if your looking to buy online. I’ve seen them as low as £16 (ish) elsewhere. Just do a quick Google search*

*other search engines are available. :smiley:

Phillips, anything else is wasting your time in my opinion.

I’ve got a Philips atlas and a tom-tom trucker 6000. Philips atlas is good, tom-tom isn’t. If you want a truck sat nav get a snooper. I had one before the tom-tom and it was better.

I bought my Atlas in WH Smith for £14.00 when it was on offer have a small car Garmin sat nav ( electronic map ) so I have to watch the road sign but take your pick google maps may work just as well as long as you watch out for low bridges etc

I’ve got a Tom Tom 6000 - can’t fault it. Really good & the live traffic is great. A Sat Nav is just a rough guide though & still requires common sense. With an atlas - yes the Philips one hands down. The AA haven’t produced a decent one in ages.

I disagree, the AA version, which was available in two scales was a much clearer easier to read map.
Unfortunately it’s been out of print for some years now, more’s the pity, if they issued a new version i’d be up for one immediately, really don’t like the Philips in comparison.

Juddian:
I disagree, the AA version, which was available in two scales was a much clearer easier to read map.
Unfortunately it’s been out of print for some years now, more’s the pity, if they issued a new version i’d be up for one immediately, really don’t like the Philips in comparison.

Agree. AA road maps have far more detail and clarity. I never bother with truck specific maps, just the standard AA road map of Europe is fine.

I heard stobarts are bringing their own version out with all the bridge heights and everything

Nighthawk.:
I’ve got a Tom Tom 6000 - can’t fault it. Really good & the live traffic is great. A Sat Nav is just a rough guide though & still requires common sense. With an atlas - yes the Philips one hands down. The AA haven’t produced a decent one in ages.

The live traffic feature is very good I agree but the route planning if part of the route has to involve a 7.5 ton weight limit except for access is quite often shocking. I deliver to building sites which are quite often in weight limits and the 6000 does some very weird things so I have to be very wary of it. Not had any bridge issues with it to be fair so it’s not all bad. My main beef with it is unlike the snooper it doesn’t actually show the restrictions on the map.

this

nomiS36:

Nighthawk.:

The live traffic feature is very good I agree but the route planning if part of the route has to involve a 7.5 ton weight limit except for access is quite often shocking. I deliver to building sites which are quite often in weight limits and the 6000 does some very weird things so I have to be very wary of it. Not had any bridge issues with it to be fair so it’s not all bad. My main beef with it is unlike the snooper it doesn’t actually show the restrictions on the map.

My 5150 has the same problem. Had one drop in a village behind a 7.5t limit expect for access. The Sat-nav tried to route me down a tiny ■■■ side street that was blocked to vehicle traffic all together! I just laughed and carried on around again and went down the 7.5t limited road. It was a bit tight but it was the only way in.

Prefer the garmin over the new TT’s easier to add and amend places in the unit.
Have the Navigator map, wish they did a smaller ring bound one.

Had the AA one for years, was starting to fall apart so replaced it with the Philips. It’s big and I find if far better than the AA map.

One with bridge HEIGHTS on them. :grimacing:

Juddian:

With Juddian and AndrewG on this one 100%

Made a post about it recently, but the Philips atlas is missing a ■■■■ ton of weight restrictions in Devon. I only use it if I forget to charge my phone.

Should have made this a poll question… :confused:

Sounds like they’re nearly as good and bad as each other…