MAN TGX sound system USB port

We’re getting a new TGX in a couple of weeks. It’s the current shape not the face lifted euro 6 version. The truck has got the new MAN multimedia head unit. It’s a 5 inch touch screen with sat nav etc. it’s got the option to select an ‘aux in’ source but there is no USB or aux in socket. If the truck was specced with the ports they would be by the cup holder apparently. Our truck did not have that option box ticked. I’m trying to find out if it can all be retro fitted but numerous calls and emails to MAN have been un-successful. As in no-one gas got back to me at all. Anyone know if what I’d like to do is possible? Or does anybody know of anyone at MAN who is particularly helpful? Failing all of this I think I’m going to have to get the head unit out and see what can be plugged into the back of it.

Rusty Nail:
Failing all of this I think I’m going to have to get the head unit out and see what can be plugged into the back of it.

Probably your best bet anyway.

Ages ago, Coffeeholic explained how to fit a Standard Aux In or Bluetooth Aux In, via the back of a modern radio. Essentially plugging a unit into the right socket on the back. I expect you could do the same with a usb, if there is a suitable unit for sale.

My truck has a USB port on the radio lord knows what I can do with it ?
I do plug my Droid into it via an ‘AUX’ socket and I do use the same socket to hook up the lap top and watch movies on line, that being the case I don’t see the point in the USB :question:

If you can get to the back of it it will probably only have an aux in input (either 2 phonos or 1 3.5 mm jack) not a USB 9but I could be wrong).The relevant adapter cables/plugs are readily available from Maplins (other electrical shops are around somewhere).

you can get a jack plug that goes in the back of the unit Ive got in the truck I drive happy days :smiley: :laughing:

Do a search on here, think there was a thread a while back about it, fairly poor show they’re not speecing a usb and aux socket as standard on new trucks these days but I suppose anything to pump a bit more cash on the option tick box.

Pat Hasler:
My truck has a USB port on the radio lord knows what I can do with it ?
I do plug my Droid into it via an ‘AUX’ socket and I do use the same socket to hook up the lap top and watch movies on line, that being the case I don’t see the point in the USB :question:

you can plug a memory stick into it and play music off it or you can plug your phone into it (may need to set it as mass storage device or something similar on the phone but it should prompt) then you can play the music stored on your phone the same as using the aux but you’ll be able to use the skip / next buttons on the head unit, it also can charge your phone. using bluetooth you’ll also be able to use the skip / next buttons on the head unit

have a look in the 1st draw down in the centre console it mite be on the right hand side.

Just an update on this one. MAN will not be fitting the USB / aux in ports as standard until the official release of the euro6 trucks. Made many phone calls and hunted through the Internet for an answer. The current trucks with the MMT can be retro fitted with genuine MAN parts I.e a new loom, new centre panel with the fitting holes cut into it and then the USB port and aux in sockets. The price I was quoted for the loom was over £500! Needless to say, ain’t happening!

There’s a German company on eBay called jimmy’s truck shop. They now sell a wiring harness adaptor that comes with the USB and aux in lines all wired in to the correct places. £41 and 15 minutes of fitting time, problem solved. I can confirm that it all works perfectly, retains all of the steering wheel functions and will control your iPod from the head unit.

Rusty Nail if you have time can you post a pic of it please?

Nice work fella.

Rusty Nail:
Just an update on this one. MAN will not be fitting the USB / aux in ports as standard until the official release of the euro6 trucks. Made many phone calls and hunted through the Internet for an answer. The current trucks with the MMT can be retro fitted with genuine MAN parts I.e a new loom, new centre panel with the fitting holes cut into it and then the USB port and aux in sockets. The price I was quoted for the loom was over £500! Needless to say, ain’t happening!

There’s a German company on eBay called jimmy’s truck shop. They now sell a wiring harness adaptor that comes with the USB and aux in lines all wired in to the correct places. £41 and 15 minutes of fitting time, problem solved. I can confirm that it all works perfectly, retains all of the steering wheel functions and will control your iPod from the head unit.

could you send us a link to him please Rusty , i have looked but cant find him cheers DAz

bigdaz1970:

Rusty Nail:

could you send us a link to him please Rusty , i have looked but cant find him cheers DAz

Rusty nail hasn’t been on this website for nearly 5 years.Last visited:Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:23 pm