Fitting a new stereo in a truck

I have a MAN TGS 2016.
It has the most basic of radios and appears to have no Bluetooth function, although the steering wheel has phone controls.
How complicated will it be to replace the radio with a modern single din unit?
Assuming I can find a blank plate to fit the MAN dash, will this involve complicated wiring and power drops etc?
Anyone have an alternative solution to fit a DAB Bluetooth unit into a truck?

When we had…

2016 MANs, they had an AUX in plug. I got a male to male lead and played stuff from my phone through the truck speakers. I used a Bluetooth headset for phone calls.
I’m not a sparky but I’ve seen dashboards torn to shreds with attempts at fitting non OEM radios.

yourhavingalarf:
I’m not a sparky but I’ve seen dashboards torn to shreds with attempts at fitting non OEM radios.

You have to be a real hamfisted gimp to screw it up when the dash has a standard DIN/double DIN slot already there.

Conor:

yourhavingalarf:

You have to be a real hamfisted gimp to screw it up when the dash has a standard DIN/double DIN slot already there.

True.
And the world is full of 'em…
Mr Larf is spot on IMHO.
WHIW, I’ll bet most 2016 trucks would have a plug in of some sort, even if they don’t have a Bluetooth or whatever.

yourhavingalarf:
When we had…

2016 MANs, they had an AUX in plug. I got a male to male lead and played stuff from my phone through the truck speakers. I used a Bluetooth headset for phone calls.

Can not see an aux plug anywhere. Do you remember if it was hidden away somewhere?

idrive:
Can not see an aux plug anywhere. Do you remember if it was hidden away somewhere?

My memory…

Ain’t what it used to be.

The long tray where you can put your ■■■■, phone and sunnies. There was a USB port and the AUX IN on the passenger side of that ledge thingy. Kinda obscure but not obscure if that makes sense.

yourhavingalarf:

idrive:

My memory…

Ain’t what it used to be.

The long tray where you can put your ■■■■, phone and sunnies. There was a USB port and the AUX IN on the passenger side of that ledge thingy. Kinda obscure but not obscure if that makes sense.

Your memory ain’t that fuzzy , yes it 'twas

Sent from a truck

Have you considered a transmitter this is a cheap one from Halfords the more expensive ones allow music playback from a USB drive as well as from Bluetooth connected devices.

Kitsound MyFM2 Bluetooth to FM Transmitter

Simply plug the Kitsound MyFM2 Bluetooth to FM Transmitter into your car’s 12/24V socket and connect wirelessly to your Bluetooth enabled device to listen to all your favourite tracks through your car radio.

All you have to do is change your FM radio frequency to an empty station and match the frequency on the MyFM2 to start listening.

Nothing else is needed to get the MyFM2 working, just plug and play – it really is that simple.

Thanks to the impressive voice detection you can take calls handsfree as you drive, and the built-in LCD screen means that you can easily see what you’re listening to.

We’ve even added a USB port so you can charge up your smartphone.

Kitsound MyFM2 Bluetooth to FM Transmitter Extra Info

LCD screen display for easy viewing

USB port allows you to charge while you play

Input: 12VDC

3.5mm line-in port for audio input from smartphones and tablets

halfords.com/technology/mob … 56621.html

For DAB -

About this item

PLUG AND PLAY - Unlike normal big car radio, this Car DAB Radio is more portable and no complex installation required, just plug this DAB adapter into the cigarette lighter. Wireless transmit digital radio signal from FirstE DAB/DAB plus radio to your existing car stereo radio amplifier by AUX Output or FM transmission technology.

STABLE RECEPTION - FirstE Portable DAB radio can automatically scan channels from DAB station. With the special designed external dab antenna, radio signal is very strong without intermittent sound- (Kindly note: this Bluetooth DAB radio might not receive a good reception on poor radio signals reception area, hope you can understand.)

CRYSTAL SOUND - FirstE Car Radio Adapter is better than traditional in-car Bluetooth FM transmitter, DAB tuner send digital signal instead of analog signal from broadcast radio station to car, sound is pure without any noise. Built-in microphone offers you clear handsfree call too.

THREE PLAYING MODES - FirstE Digital Radio offers 3 choices for play: 1.DAB/DAB+ radio via FM Transmission or 3.5mm Aux Port, 2.Up to 64GB Micro SD/TF hifi stereo music play, 3.Bluetooth music/ handsfree phone call. Meantime, it will broadcast real-time traffic for your driving.

LARGER LCD SCREEN - This DAB Car Radio Adapter equips with 2.3" LCD screen, easy to read at night and in the day. Show you the incoming phone number, car battery voltage, FM frequency, radio station name, weather, music song name from TF card.

amazon.co.uk/FirstE-Bluetoo … 635&sr=8-3

Bin Man:
For DAB -

About this item

PLUG AND PLAY - Unlike normal big car radio, this Car DAB Radio is more portable and no complex installation required, just plug this DAB adapter into the cigarette lighter. Wireless transmit digital radio signal from FirstE DAB/DAB plus radio to your existing car stereo radio amplifier by AUX Output or FM transmission technology.

STABLE RECEPTION - FirstE Portable DAB radio can automatically scan channels from DAB station. With the special designed external dab antenna, radio signal is very strong without intermittent sound- (Kindly note: this Bluetooth DAB radio might not receive a good reception on poor radio signals reception area, hope you can understand.)

CRYSTAL SOUND - FirstE Car Radio Adapter is better than traditional in-car Bluetooth FM transmitter, DAB tuner send digital signal instead of analog signal from broadcast radio station to car, sound is pure without any noise. Built-in microphone offers you clear handsfree call too.

THREE PLAYING MODES - FirstE Digital Radio offers 3 choices for play: 1.DAB/DAB+ radio via FM Transmission or 3.5mm Aux Port, 2.Up to 64GB Micro SD/TF hifi stereo music play, 3.Bluetooth music/ handsfree phone call. Meantime, it will broadcast real-time traffic for your driving.

LARGER LCD SCREEN - This DAB Car Radio Adapter equips with 2.3" LCD screen, easy to read at night and in the day. Show you the incoming phone number, car battery voltage, FM frequency, radio station name, weather, music song name from TF card.

I looked at these but thought you need Bluetooth radio to use.
There appears to be no Bluetooth in the truck, will this still work for DAB?

idrive:

Bin Man:
For DAB -

About this item

I looked at these but thought you need Bluetooth radio to use.
There appears to be no Bluetooth in the truck, will this still work for DAB?

As it says in the description -

Wireless transmit digital radio signal from FirstE DAB/DAB plus radio to your existing car stereo radio amplifier by AUX Output or FM transmission technology.

Basically you tune your existing radio FM to a channel that is not used then you tune the DAB plug in radio to that same channel and they link and you get the DAB radio through your existing set up.

Video of something similar -

youtu.be/x7ZnuUGPACg

Thanks bin man, I bought one of these, will see how well it works

idrive:
Thanks bin man, I bought one of these, will see how well it works

Let us know i wouldn’t mind on for the car :wink: