Lorry or Truck

albion:

jakethesnake:
Does it really matter? Call it what you want. There’s far more important things in life.

Having checked the forum rules, there is nothing requiring only serious topics to be discussed. I can’t see that it matters if people want to discuss mundane trivial things, it’s how the world works.

Yeah, I agree, no problem. :smiley:

Lorry for me ,I can’t help but think that truck or truck driver is connected to the dumbing down of the job .

Lorry for me and I count myself as a lorry driver [emoji1303]

tachograph:
Well I call it a lorry, always have and most likely always will :smiley:

I don’t call a pavement a side-walk.
I don’t call a bonnet a hood.
I dond’t call an artic a semi.
so why would I call a lorry a truck :grimacing:

Do you refer to prawns, shrimps, lobster etc as “seafood”? :wink:

Lorry for me!

It’ll always be a 6 or an 8 wheeler etc for me not legger!

Thats all well and good but if you search google for “women flashing lorrydrivers” you get nothing back

Search for “women flashing truckers” and its much more productive. :laughing:

Harry Monk:

tachograph:
Well I call it a lorry, always have and most likely always will :smiley:

I don’t call a pavement a side-walk.
I don’t call a bonnet a hood.
I dond’t call an artic a semi.
so why would I call a lorry a truck :grimacing:

Do you refer to prawns, shrimps, lobster etc as “seafood”? :wink:

Would some happily eat a Dublin Bay Prawn, but not a Langoustine? What of scampi?
For what it’s worth I used to avoid using ‘truck’, but don’t really worry now. Depends on circumstances and who I’m talking to.

Do removals drivers still carry trucks to shove under up-ended pianos?
:confused:

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

remy:
Lorrynet sponsored by Lorry & driver :wink: :wink:

Beat me to it.

Truck-Lorry-motor. Bike- bicycle- pushbike. I love the English language, I love to play with words. I love the way that you can use many different words to achieve the same ends. Why on Earth should I curtail that to satisfy some purists?

the maoster:
Truck-Lorry-motor. Bike- bicycle- pushbike. I love the English language, I love to play with words. I love the way that you can use many different words to achieve the same ends. Why on Earth should I curtail that to satisfy some purists?

Different words spoken in different parts of UK can mean different things

Different words in different countries can mean something totally different & can be ok in 1 country but not another

I love languages and the origins of words, you can have the same conversation using different words and not reinventing the wheel.

Truck under a piano? Certainly, part of a tram, wagon behind a horse, traction engine or stationary engine can both plough a field and pull a living van, chassis can be a trailer, or be part of the lorry frame, you can crane a heavy load onto a lorry or load a heavy crane onto the same lorry, sack truck, carpet truck, fork truck, railway wagon never trailer, wagon trailer is fine, steam wagon, steam engine, steam lorry, wagon and drag,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juggernaut
/ˈdʒʌɡənɔːt/Submit
noun
a huge, powerful, and overwhelming force.
“the juggernaut of public expenditure”
BRITISH
a large, heavy vehicle, especially an articulated lorry.
noun: juggernaut; plural noun: juggernauts
“the juggernaut thundered through the countryside”

Motor, Unit, Tractor Unit, Lorry, Truck.

The word truck is often used by off road enthusiasts to describe a 4X4.

I say unit for an artic and lorry for a rigid, not that it matters that much really.

mike68:
juggernaut
/ˈdʒʌɡənɔːt/Submit
noun
a huge, powerful, and overwhelming force.
“the juggernaut of public expenditure”
BRITISH
a large, heavy vehicle, especially an articulated lorry.
noun: juggernaut; plural noun: juggernauts
“the juggernaut thundered through the countryside”

Motor, Unit, Tractor Unit, Lorry, Truck.

The word truck is often used by off road enthusiasts to describe a 4X4.

I say unit for an artic and lorry for a rigid, not that it matters that much really.

And some (mis)use Jeep for any 4x4.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

‘‘Truck’’…, as ‘‘Trucker’’ befits my macho testoserone loaded image. :sunglasses::unamused: :laughing:

Where as ‘‘lorry’’ and ‘‘lorry driver’’ conjures up in my mind an old guy with a cloth cap, bib and brace, with clogs, and Army greatcoat sat behind the wheel of a Thames Trader in the 50s. :laughing:

I still get weird looks over here when I say something about the wagon I drive lol…or a tipper …■■■■ it scotty its an end dump. hehe.

Used to say Lorry Driver when I was a labour supporter…but when I joined the conservatives… I became a Truck driver…as it sounded posher… :smiley: seriously… I started using truck driver when convoy came about, and many europeans associated truck more so than a lorry, as they didnt understand what I was talking about because it was a British thing…what does get on my nerves, is when the press report an accident, and say a truck did this or that, then show a picture of a 4 x 4 pick up.!!

BTW Rob hit the nail on the head describing an old Lorry driver ha ha no bib and brace for me, or flat cap…thats for northerners…we wore overalls and ex army boots ( coveralls ) today. :smiley:

animal:
From another thread do we call them

Lorry or Truck

Lorry = English

Truck = American

There are plenty of ‘truckers’ in Britain, but no “lorriers” in either Britain nor Yankland. :neutral_face:

I’ve used alsorts of terms
Lorry, truck, Camion, HGV, LGV, LKW, wagon, artic, rigid, heap of ■■■■, the English language is a wonderful evolving thing, so why limit yourself. :smiley:

Although personally I prefer the term wagon and therefore like to referred to as The Wagon Master. :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:
Put me down for…

Motor. As in ‘where’s my motor?’, ‘why’s he got my motor?’, ‘his motor is faster than mine’ and the old favourite ‘his motor’s a pig-sty’.

And it’s Motor for me as well !

I refer to it as a “lorry” when I’m oop North, and a “truck” when I get back to civilisation, i.e. anywhere south of Watford Gap services. :stuck_out_tongue: