Lorry, Waggon or Truck

Why do some people use the word truck and not lorry or even waggon.

Truck is an American term. When I was a lad a truck was a hand-cart or trolley (truckle trolley) & the knights of the road were lorry & waggon drivers.

Just wondering! :confused:

Lorry mostly.

waggon up north :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

laikinā€™ art:
Why do some people use the word truck and not lorry or even waggon.

Truck is an American term. When I was a lad a truck was a hand-cart or trolley (truckle trolley) & the knights of the road were lorry & waggon drivers.

Just wondering! :confused:

Lorry Drivers in this neck of the woods !!! :sunglasses:

All of the above.

Because Iā€™m cosmopolitan, me :laughing:

A truck is a large vehicle used for transporting bulk goods, materials, or equipment. The word ā€œtruckā€ comes from the Greek ā€œtrochosā€, meaning ā€œwheelā€. In America, the big wheels of wagons were called trucks.

A wagon (sometimes waggon) or dray is a heavy four-wheeled vehicle pulled by animals such as horses (and driven by cowboys :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

A lorry 1: a large low horse-drawn wagon without sides 2: a large truck designed to carry heavy loads; usually without sides.

Iā€™m none the wiser :unamused:

Oh dear sorry to be diferent but i have allways called em trucks unless its a Volvo :confused: and i have allways been a truck driver even had it under occupation on the old passports.

wagons where i come from(originally) :smiley:

As my old army sargeant used to say ā€œsame thing, different nameā€

What would your old army sergeant have said if youā€™d have called your ā€œlieutenantā€ (leftenant) ā€œlieutenantā€ (lewtenant) & are they the same thing? :confused: :slight_smile:

Truck is an American term

When I use the term ā€˜truckā€™ to my American friends they presume I am talking about a four wheel drive pick up. Not a ā€˜semiā€™ as they call it.

I usually call then Trucks or refer to my artic as my Rig.

laikinā€™ art:

What would your old army sergeant have said if youā€™d have called your ā€œlieutenantā€ (leftenant) ā€œlieutenantā€ (lewtenant) & are they the same thing? :confused: :slight_smile:

Dunno - but it is what he used to say when he got our names wrong :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Who cares ā– ā– ?

Kind of ā– ā– ā– ā–  to get upset because someone else doesnā€™t call it the same as you do.

Iā€™ve no idea why people use the terms they do, but I generally refer to myself as a lorry driver and refer to the vehicle as a lorry, but I do occasionally use the term truck and very occasionally I may use the term wagon.

To be honest as long as I get paid to drive it I donā€™t really care what itā€™s called

I normally say lorry, but sometimes truck too. I use the term ā€œwagonā€ for any vehicle, as in ā€œthats a nice wagonā€. Or as they say in my part or the world ā€œsheā€™s a qwer yokeā€ :laughing:

truck :wink:

When I was driving I was a truck driver, driving a truck.

I thought wagons was what Indians (sorry Native Americans) shot arrows at.

A lorry was a Ford D series flat.

I call them wagon drivers

but when people as me my occupation
i say ā€œiā€™m a lorry driverā€
(sounds more important too joe bloggs)

the ones i keep get hit with are called Heaps

Shed.