Lorry driver charged with manslaughter of 39 [Merged]

Wheel Nut:
He may be British, but he isn’t English, Welsh or Scottish. So we can all claim a British medal if the poster can identify where he really comes from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He can choose to be Irish or British being from N.Ire but going by the DUP councillor speaking on his family’s behalf on the news and his name/surname I’d assume British, definitely not English not possible unless his parents are English or he was born in England or his grandparents were sorry going on a bit here…

nightline:
I hoped he knew nothing but am delighted hes English been from northern Ireland at least hes not Irish so people can’t say he is
Just imagine he won a medal then you would be claiming him being British, well trust me he is British and a uk resident so are the rest of them
So you can all stop blaming the Irish, you have them on your own doorstep living and working with them every day eating at the same table as them and they are your kind reared and brought up with
RIP the victims

You really do try a touch too hard with this trolling lark. I’d have thought you’d have got the hang of it by now but clearly not

gooddriver:

Wheel Nut:
He may be British, but he isn’t English, Welsh or Scottish. So we can all claim a British medal if the poster can identify where he really comes from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He can choose to be Irish or British being from N.Ire but going by the DUP councillor speaking on his family’s behalf on the news and his name/surname I’d assume British, definitely not English not possible unless his parents are English or he was born in England or his grandparents were sorry going on a bit here…

^^^^^^^^^^^
good guess there seeing as how it was ian paisley started the dup i thiink…though the jurys always out over here about whos who…theres always the chance that they decide their not irish or british,but are ulstermen. personally id go with having a dup mouth fronting them then they wont be doing it on behalf of the boyos from eire.
its complicated over here so you never can tell till the judges hammer comes down.

The driver’s nationality or that of the people inside the trailer is irrelevant, I’ve removed one racist comment, the next one will get this thread shut down.

He is further charged with people trafficking, immigration and money laundering offences, Essex Police said.

chester:
So we’re in agreement a driver can pop a seal to satisfy that the load meets legal requirements before venturing onto the public highway.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
try reading the joined up writing in the previous posts before replying as breaking seals without company approval can not be done by a mere drivers whim without officialdom falling on him from a great height.
read more books on container transport or check some more youtube videos ,or can someone else tell me where ive been doing it wrong along with every other driver ive known for previous years?
if it wasnt a quiet night then i wouldnt be feeding this drivvle,

Seeing that the driver has been charged with a number of serious offences, I was prompted to scroll back through my Facebook timeline, as I was curious to revisit some of the hastily-crafted “Support Mo” memes, which began to be circulated. Reading some of the comments on there, there was a few saying he had been released without charge, one guy even posted that Mo was back safely with his family at home! Personally, I would have wished the driver to be proven innocent, but as time ticked away, it was obvious that the police had something on him. It does rather illustrate the dangers of social media, people’s willingness to spread misinformation without regard for the facts, not being prepared to wait and see what happens, basically drawing attention to themselves to show how much they ‘care’, urging others to be outraged at perceived injustices, etc.

Cosmic:
Seeing that the driver has been charged with a number of serious offences, I was prompted to scroll back through my Facebook timeline, as I was curious to revisit some of the hastily-crafted “Support Mo” memes, which began to be circulated. Reading some of the comments on there, there was a few saying he had been released without charge, one guy even posted that Mo was back safely with his family at home! Personally, I would have wished the driver to be proven innocent, but as time ticked away, it was obvious that the police had something on him. It does rather illustrate the dangers of social media, people’s willingness to spread misinformation without regard for the facts, not being prepared to wait and see what happens, basically drawing attention to themselves to show how much they ‘care’, urging others to be outraged at perceived injustices, etc.

Social Media is a massive influencer in many spheres.
As a “news source” it is unedited for bias nor fact checked. Even those who have no bad intent can cause harm by repeating lies and falsehoods.
As a tool of malign players it is possibly more useful than an atomic arsenal.

I think its pretty clear they have something on the lad. They wouldn’t just throw a money laundering charge into the mix for fun, they’ve clearly come across some solid evidence against him somewhere along the line. If he was involved then he doesn’t make a good driver nor a very good criminal, i hope for his own sake that he hasn’t been stupid enough to ■■■■ his life up this early on as he’s only 25, but then again there’s no telling some peoples greed/stupidity.

MegaHips:
I think its pretty clear they have something on the lad. They wouldn’t just throw a money laundering charge into the mix for fun, they’ve clearly come across some solid evidence against him somewhere along the line. If he was involved then he doesn’t make a good driver nor a very good criminal, i hope for his own sake that he hasn’t been stupid enough to [zb] his life up this early on as he’s only 25, but then again there’s no telling some peoples greed/stupidity.

I reckon they will have found 39 bottles of water in the cab, or something like that, immediately from the way they jumped on him from the getgo. I think they must have established very quickly he knew they were in there.

My take on it is whether he is innocent or guilty the way the press have jumped in with both feet and continually published utter crap and still are needs looking into, it is a court that finds you guilty not the Sun or Sky News. Yesterdays Daily Mail being a prime example anyone who has ever shipped a trailer and not produced a ‘waybill’ to the port authorities has apparently broken the law and needs to hand themselves in ASAP.
He has gone from being a mass murderer up there with Harold Shipman to being charged with manslaughter a big difference in legal terms. Several years ago a friend of mine was in a similar situation and charged with the murder of one immigrant, by the time it went to court the charge was reduced to trafficking of which when presented with the facts the jury found him not guilty, he was also vilified in the press when arrested, oddly enough there were no major headlines when he was found innocent.

The driver will have a phone. With which he will have communicated with folks. The coppers will have gone through his messages. And then his banking records. And his spending vs his earning. For something this serious, they will have checked it all out. He has probably at this point decided to do some talking (and I don’t blame him). If he called anyone or got a call around that time they will have triangulated where that was - and probably worked out who’s phone it was. If it’s a known/suspected trafficer he’s done for. He’d really struggle to explain ANY calls directly before the 999 one.

I actually hope he had no idea and is cleared. A long stint at 25 is not going to be good for anyone. But dying wasn’t good for those people. However, Mo made his decisions as did the 39 adults who chose to get into a truck to illegally come to the UK.

chester:
That’s right you can!
How do you explain to a judge or a traffic commissioner that you didn’t check the load security or legality of load. If for example you had caused death or injury on the public highway.
Ever wondered why containers roll over!
Just because pointy shoe clerks tell you that you can’t check your loads before departure doesn’t mean it’s true, maybe grow a set!

I’ve never said you can break a seal at anytime, sometimes authorities will have to aid you, especially with bonded loads.
Show me where I said you can break seals at “Anytime”

On container work, the container is the load, and the driver’s responsibility ends with ensuring that it is correctly locked to the trailer. The shipper’s obligation to the consignee is to ensure that the container arrives at the named place with the original seal (or HMRC replacement seal if examined) intact. In any event, a very substantial set of bolt croppers is required to remove a container seal.

Harry Monk:

chester:
That’s right you can!
How do you explain to a judge or a traffic commissioner that you didn’t check the load security or legality of load. If for example you had caused death or injury on the public highway.
Ever wondered why containers roll over!
Just because pointy shoe clerks tell you that you can’t check your loads before departure doesn’t mean it’s true, maybe grow a set!

I’ve never said you can break a seal at anytime, sometimes authorities will have to aid you, especially with bonded loads.
Show me where I said you can break seals at “Anytime”

On container work, the container is the load, and the driver’s responsibility ends with ensuring that it is correctly locked to the trailer. The shipper’s obligation to the consignee is to ensure that the container arrives at the named place with the original seal (or HMRC replacement seal if examined) intact. In any event, a very substantial set of bolt croppers is required to remove a container seal.

Your correct there Harry, how many times has the customer tried to remove the seal with something no better than a pair of toenail clippers?
I carried a very large pair of crops for use only with customers consent, after they’d usually wasted about half an hour trying, (we always use these never had a problem before today :unamused: :unamused: ) regards Kev.

Appreciate innocent until proven guilty and all that but it ain’t looking good for him.

Could have sworn he was innocent to begin with just by virtue of the fact you’d have to be a complete cabbage to knowingly transport people in a fridge trailer.

The only odd thing that didn’t add up for me was why he was stopping on that notorious estate and opening the back doors on the road and not in a customers premises.

I also thought if he was in on it why did he phone the ambulance service if he could see they were dead and not do one in to the middle of nowhere and dump the bodies, in for a penny, in for a pound and all that.

His wife is pregnant with twins as well. [emoji30]

Having tried very hard on another forum to make the case for the driver’s innocence I am very disappointed at this news and, if he is guilty, cannot believe how stupid he’s been.

I thought he was in custody for so long was because they wanted to get as much info from him to find the real culprits.

So, if he knew why he was sent to collect that trailer, and was experienced with frigos therefore knowing they were all but airtight, he did at least show some spark of humanity in opening the doors within 15 minutes of picking it up, re-inforced by his call to the ambulance. That is why he will have been charged, knowing what he was asked to do, but I hope that his taking the risk of prosecution onto himself because of his humanity, will be duly recognised in sentencing if found guilty.

Mazzer2:
My take on it is whether he is innocent or guilty the way the press have jumped in with both feet and continually published utter crap and still are needs looking into, it is a court that finds you guilty not the Sun or Sky News. Yesterdays Daily Mail being a prime example anyone who has ever shipped a trailer and not produced a ‘waybill’ to the port authorities has apparently broken the law and needs to hand themselves in ASAP.
He has gone from being a mass murderer up there with Harold Shipman to being charged with manslaughter a big difference in legal terms. Several years ago a friend of mine was in a similar situation and charged with the murder of one immigrant, by the time it went to court the charge was reduced to trafficking of which when presented with the facts the jury found him not guilty, he was also vilified in the press when arrested, oddly enough there were no major headlines when he was found innocent.

There is an argument that all arrested and charged individuals should remain anonymous until proven guilty at trial. Keep them out of the press and media (if that`s possible today!) to protect the reputation of those who are innocent.
Cliff Richard and the media circus when his home was searched. Probably some still whispering “smoke and fire” there.

The contrary argument is that justice should be open, so it seen to be done. Generally daylight acts as a disinfectant: get it in the open to look at it properly.
Stuart Hall`s case had further victims coming forward after his arrest on the first ■■■ charges.

There is no answer that is 100% correct, and any attempt to go on a “case by case” basis would be open to error or abuse.
So, I reckon we are stuck with naming those charged, BUT that doesnt include giving prejudicial evidence in advance of trial. Although I dont know how it could be practically enforced, a stricter look at lies and false info on social media is desperately needed.

nightline:

Harry Monk:

nightline:
I hoped he knew nothing but am delighted hes English been from northern Ireland at least hes not Irish so people can’t say he is

Err, if he’s from Northern Ireland then surely he’s Irish? He would only be English if he was from England. Or am I missing something here?

How do you make that out if he’s from northern Ireland he’s British it’s part of the uk
Wake up

He might be British, (although there could be a technical argument against that as its The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) but not English as you’ve written many times now on 2 different threads, If you don’t believe there is a difference walk through Glasgow with a placard saying “You’re All English” and see how many people agree with you. :wink:

Although personally had they been from the Republic of Ireland or any other country, I wouldn’t have gloated or thought that it tarred the whole of that nation with the same brush.

Franglais:

Cosmic:

Social Media is a massive influencer in many spheres.
As a “news source” it is unedited for bias nor fact checked. Even those who have no bad intent can cause harm by repeating lies and falsehoods.

Judging by what was reported when this first happened; the mainstream media could also be accused of lack of fact checking, even on Friday the BBC was still calling it a container. I suppose you can’t accuse them of unedited bias, its properly edited into their reports.

nightline:

Harry Monk:

nightline:

Err, if he’s from Northern Ireland then surely he’s Irish? He would only be English if he was from England. Or am I missing something here?

How do you make that out if he’s from northern Ireland he’s British it’s part of the uk
Wake up

Ok, well in that case if you are from the Republic of Ireland then you are British as the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles, therefore by your logic if you are from the Republic of Ireland you are English. :stuck_out_tongue: