Father and son haulage bosses guilty of manslaughter

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/father-and-son-haulage-bosses-guilty-of-manslaughter-1-5148626

They want the keys throwing away when they get locked up.
I also blame the driver for letting them do it.

If you’re that cab happy, go on vehicle recovery. You can do all the hours you want.

Reading stories like this, I’m just grateful for a decent boss who does things by the book and doesn’t pressure you into doing anything you don’t feel comfortable with.

greggy:

Reading the article, it seems the driver driver was very grateful for the extra money, and probably didn’t complain about doing it.

weeto:

greggy:

Reading the article, it seems the driver driver was very grateful for the extra money, and probably didn’t complain about doing it.

Yeah, I was going to say the £10k of personal debt is the real villain in pushing him to drive beyond safe limits.

They couldn’t give a rats ■■■ who they ripped off going by the tax dodging. Stick’em on a boat with a hole in it.

no sympathy for the driver or operator
utter idjiots all of them

It’s people like this who are responsible for low wages and high taxes…although other causes of high taxes are available!

Own Account Driver:

weeto:

greggy:

Yeah, I was going to say the £10k of personal debt is the real villain in pushing him to drive beyond safe limits.

not really… only you can get your self into debt…

monarch of the highway:
no sympathy for the driver or operator
utter idjiots all of them

I would have to agree with this statement… just lucky no one innocent was killed.

drummerkev:

Own Account Driver:

weeto:

greggy:

The only way you can get out is to do more hours I would bet he would not have run bent without the debt. Did the owners push him to go over his hours or was he looking for an employer that would let him. I doubt very many drivers that break the hours rules are unwilling accomplices.

Own Account Driver:
The only way you can get out is to do more hours I would bet he would not have run bent without the debt. Did the owners push him to go over his hours or was he looking for an employer that would let him. I doubt very many drivers that break the hours rules are unwilling accomplices.

■■■■■■■■. The way out of it is to get a Debt Relief Order or declare bankrupt and start all over again.

Own Account Driver:
[. Did the owners push him to go over his hours or was he looking for an employer that would let him. I doubt very many drivers that break the hours rules are unwilling accomplices.

Sounds as if he was looking for a way to earn extra, though I doubt that the debt was his greatest driver to run bent for extra cash. Greed seems to fit the bill :unamused:

It was probably well known around that area that that company would turn a blind one if you were so inclined, or even openly encourage it. From time to time you do hear of firms were they run a double standards policy, some guys point blanc arent intrested in running bent, and others are, it then suit the boss to have both sorts of driver on the books.

I dont think its as bad as it once was, but this sort of activity will never be stamped out :wink:

I saw a similar newspaper write up some years back.
Driver had driven without any rest for over 18 hours, But the truth of it was he’d taken 8 hours off which didn’t count as rest, So they made out it was continuous when the reality was far from it.
So we don’t know if there was anything similar in this case.
I think the driver was the one to blame. I’ve done work that would need a bit of bent running, But my word was final. Some days you can drive for 10 hours and still feel that you can do it again, Other days 6 hours is far too much.

limeyphil:
I saw a similar newspaper write up some years back.
Driver had driven without any rest for over 18 hours, But the truth of it was he’d taken 8 hours off which didn’t count as rest, So they made out it was continuous when the reality was far from it.
So we don’t know if there was anything similar in this case.

Although I know what you are saying, it’s quite often reported that the driver had been driving for x period without a break, but when you look into it it’s insufficient breaks. But that doesn’t make for such dramatic headlines does it? :unamused:

But I think in this case it was reported he was using somebody else’s tacho card to do the extra shifts.

Own Account Driver:

drummerkev:

Own Account Driver:

weeto:

greggy:

What extra money would that be? If it’s paid out to a third party that need not be paid at all, then the better solution is to CUT hours and walk away for 6 years - the time it takes detaulted debt to expire, and the cut wages mean 0% return for anyone getting you in court during that time. :wink:

£10k of debt is peanuts.

Why do people think that defaulting a debt is a greater sin than running bent, putting lives at risk, and aiding and abetting a bunch of REAL crooks to stay rich?
Is this how we’ve been indoctrinated over the years? “Borrow money? - Kill your wife, kids, and endanger the public and yourself to pay it back.” Boss fiddles you? THat’s ok, it’s purely conservative entrepeneuship to be supported by you, the cloth-cap-in-hand employee who should be grateful for the crumbs from under the Fiddler Family’s table." :angry: :imp:

The deceased driver had written off an artic just two weeks before the crash that killed him.

He said that he and all the other drivers were paid in cash and were left to sort out their own tax and National Insurance. There were no difficulties with his work, but on January 27 2010, a lorry he was driving was written off after it jack-knifed on road works on the motorway.

‘Someone stopped in front of him. He was coming to the end of the road works and someone nipped in in front of him,’ he said

That should have set alarm bells ringing!

A more fuller article here:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … wheel.html

Surely this is someone off here?

If not the false drama created on ES Trucks&Trailers is backfiring. :laughing:

99p Stores should also take responsibility, as they no doubt had a very strict contract forcing the company to break the law. If you watch the Eddie Stobart TV show, you see how close to the limit they go too and I bet they may go over when the cameras aren’t there.

• UK Out Of The EU, Newcastle, United Kingdom, 1/6/2013 14:48

Yeah but if everyone did that winseer then society would collapse wouldn’t it?

Now I appreciate some chaps make mistakes and take bankruptcy, fair enough but if you borrowed and spent it you really should try and pay it back.

WETBEHINDTHELUGS:
If you’re that cab happy, go on vehicle recovery. You can do all the hours you want.

Times are changing mate, them days are numbered.

The father and son ( bosses of that haulage firm) have now received jail sentences.

A father and son who ran a haulage business for 99p Stores were today jailed for the manslaughter of one of their drivers after he fell asleep at the wheel, crashed and died.

Adrian John McMurray, aged 54, and Adrian Paul McMurray, aged 36, who ran AJ Haulage, were convicted of the killing of Stephen Kenyon, who was crushed to death when his 39 tonne Renault lorry crashed into a line of stationary traffic on the southbound carriageway of the M1.

There was quite a catalogue of crimes there when you read about it.

Story here in the Northampton Chronicle and Echo:

northamptonchron.co.uk/news/ … -1-5235280