Looks nasty - A47 Guyham closed for a while

I use that stretch a lot and you get some right idiots doing death or glory overtakes. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bus driver flashed some prick coming the other way and the driver has mistake it for a pull out flash.

Very sad for all concerned. There but for the grace of God go us

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

nomiS36:
Whoa! I wasn’t casting aspirations!!! Just couldn’t see what the truck was. I’ve done it abroad, started to pull onto the wrong side before realising and I ain’t the only one!!!

Actually the issue of mixing up the direction of approaching traffic when entering from a junction or a roundabout is more often a totally seperate issue to driving on the wrong side of the road.It’s possible to get that observation wrong even when crossing the road as a pedestrian.

So possibly could have been a foreign driver driving a Brit truck and made the split second mistake under pressure of thinking that there was nothing approaching in either direction where he was expecting it and then went for it.Just as Brits can get caught out on foreign roads because they get their observation mixed up or look right on entry to a roundabout.The drivers’ name if/when released will be interesting in either adding to that theory or busting it. :bulb:

The driver of the lorry was questioned at the scene but has not been arrested over the crash, Inspector Langwith confirmed.

lizard:

nomiS36:

lizard:
I wasn’t going to entertain his comment with an explanation and just chose the appropriate word to sum it up.

The-Snowman:

lizard:

nomiS36:
Foreign truck turning right and not payed as much attention to the traffic from the right because he forgot which side of the road he should be turning onto?

Muppet

Exactly what my response was going to be

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Tell me what exactly was wrong with my question as I hadn’t got a clue who’s [zb] truck it was. Note the [zb] question mark at the end which ain’t been edited in!

It wasn’t a question you asked. It was a statement that it was a flip flop. Most people look at the situation and photos (if available) and make a statement or ask a question. You have simply made your mind up that it’s a left hand drive and a flip flop. It may well be a flip flop driver but it’s definitely a right hand drive. FACTS are a wonderful thing to have before making a statement like yours.
My FACT in my 1 word statement stands exactly what I wrote.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

you are so wrong in everything you have just said. You’re putting words in my mouth. The first photo was blurry so not clear who’s truck it was. If I’d known it was RHD and pulling out of its own yard I wouldn’t have asked the QUESTION.
Are the only “foreign” (my word) trucks “flip flop” (your word”?

I’ve often wondered why their place doesn’t ban a right turn from the yard bearing in mind the roundabout at Guyhirn isn’t far up the road and would allow them to turn back towards March.

Same as Stobarts truckstop on the A5, traffic should be left turn only. My yard on the A5 is left turn only for anything other than cars. It’s just safer all round and there’s roundabouts within minutes to get turned and at least you’re only concentrating on one way of traffic.

The bus will have front facing CCTV. RIP to those who aren’t going home again

fingermissing:
Looking at the pictures of the crash there dose not seem to be any skid marks from the buses tyres?Could the bus driver have falling ill.

If the bus driver didn’t see the wagon until the very last second he wouldn’t have even got to the brake pedal before the impact.

I think the fact the lorry driver hasn’t been arrested is significant considering that the circumstances initially look damning and the fatalities.

My guess is he had pulled part way out and was stationary when the bus appeared and for some reason failed to stop, whether fog, sunlight, distraction or a combination.

FWIW, nomi, I read your first post as a question, because it had a question mark at the end of it. Didn’t see it as having a go.

I’m thinking the truck has pulled out when there was nothing anywhere near him approaching from his right. He’s then sat at the centre white line waiting for a safe gap (or for some considerate soul to let him in) as the bus has approached. Bus driver is dazzled by low sun so fails to spot the stationary (or near-stationary) truck blocking his path until it’s too late.

Roymondo:
I’m thinking the truck has pulled out when there was nothing anywhere near him approaching from his right. He’s then sat at the centre white line waiting for a safe gap (or for some considerate soul to let him in) as the bus has approached. Bus driver is dazzled by low sun so fails to spot the stationary (or near-stationary) truck blocking his path until it’s too late.

Or Bus saw him with plenty of time but his brakes failed…

looking at these picture the poor driver didn’t stand a chance R.I.P mate

cambstimes.co.uk/news/a47-re … -1-5578896

does look like an exit where its tempting to force traffic to slow as you chug out

nomiS36:
Whoa! I wasn’t casting aspirations!!! Just couldn’t see what the truck was. I’ve done it abroad, started to pull onto the wrong side before realising and I ain’t the only one!!!

Ok mate, fair enough. I see now what you were saying.
It just looked like an EE bash/assumption at first glance thats all.

Apologies

I don’t know how bus body manufacturers get away with it, there are impact resistance regulations for lorry cabs, but bus bodies are as flimsy as tissue paper, the only thing of any strength between the driver and the front is the steering column, much like the old Fibreglass lorry cabs of yore. About thirty years ago there was a serious head on collision between a single decker and a double decker close to where I live. The single decker was literally inside the the DD. The DD driver died a few weeks later from his injuries.

Richardf1fan:

Nothing anyone can do to help him now. :frowning: But let’s hope the zbwits who want to inflict the similar driver position and cab design on truck drivers take a good look at that damage.IE you want the cab floor and therefore your feet or at most lower legs to be at the height of the trailer’s load deck.Not your waist if not chest.Also the engine at least in the vicinity to help to absorb some of the impact and certainly not the driver sitting below trailer load deck height and ahead of the front axle and the only real strength and impact absorption being in that front over hang’s floor which will obviously run right under a truck trailer deck.On that note also can’t help but think that the old Routemaster type of design would at least have provided more of a chance,in this case.:imp:

Monsterbrown:
My guess is he had pulled part way out and was stationary when the bus appeared and for some reason failed to stop, whether fog, sunlight, distraction or a combination.

That’s my guess, pulled out when nothing coming to his right, sat watching 50 cars come from the left not letting him out and then the bus hit.

Richardf1fan:

I saw that on Anglia news this evening and my first thought was that the bus driver probably didn’t know a lot about it.

My thoughts are that the sun was low and directly in his eyes.

RIP to the two that didn’t make it home.

Don’t drive Scanias tbh, what’s the gearbox like? By that I mean is it one of those that’ll let you set off and then throw a wobbler and leave you stranded?

Can’t believe the sun would be so bad he didn’t see a truck in the middle of the road a few hundred yards ahead. How did everyone else manage this week, the last few months, the last number of years at this spot?

There could be a million and one reasons:

Truck never looked properly.
Truck pulled out but had to stop due to a unseen vehicle to the left.
Truck flashed out by a vehicle in front of bus turning into the yard and bus never slowed.
Truck thought the bus driver flashed.
Trucks foot hit the throttle rather than the brake.
Fog.
Illness.
Vehicle faults.

Etc etc

Also don’t forget bus drivers don’t wear seat belts .Which May have help him or her if wearing a seat belt.