Long gone sussex hauliers

Bit of a long shot. I worked for Jim Boniface on TOE out of Newhaven for a little while around 1991 and drove a Daf 3300 reg. C923 HGT for him. If anyone should come across a picture of it,I would love to see it again. Thanks.

I used to drive for Whites at Golden Cross, moving caravans/mobile homes and boats all over the country. My claim to fame was being the founder member of The South Coast Truckers Club. are there any of the members still out there?

image.jpg

LASTY:

Do you know who’s this was Lasty?

Another one of Bunters photos, will ask him :smiley:

Only asking as I know Jerry Rilstone ran a couple of american motors out of Newhaven. I wondered if this was one of them.

anyone remember tony parks transport from crowborough had 2 scanias and an volvo fl10 8 legger with a brick crane ?beleve he had a ford transcon as a spare

Another strike in France, very early 1990s
Witham Bros vehicle being delivered to Estapona, Southern Spain.

I saw ADM mentioned earlier in this thread…any of you remember a chap named Phil Titherington, drove for them for years, lived in Hailsham. He taught me to fly radio control helicopters, way way back…maybe in the late 70’s-early 80’s.

I have an idea he moved to Pevensey Bay, I seem to remember seeing him down there a few times back when I drove a dustcart for Wealden Council.

Somewhere I have a photo of Phil flying one of my helis with me standing well back and ‘learning through observing…’

Rich

brookie:
Another couple of names from Sussex past, do you remember Star Transport? They did Greece etc in mid eighties, based in Crowborough I think, only a couple of motors. And Merrydowns own Dafs, or Mayhew Chickens too? Danny Erser from Newhaven (Volvos and tilts I think?). Who had the Volvo F89 pulling TOE trailors in late '80s?. And another firm that did timber etc, I’m sure from Ringmer way, I always got stuck behind them through the forest up the A22, they had some fairly old motors that struggled a bit!! If I recall any more I’ll post them.

Brookie

I worked for Mayhews, first on Vans then driving a Leyland Lynx on shop and supermarket deliveries, learnt to drive with Star driver training from Crowborough on a Ford D Series I think, (with Synchromesh) n day after I passed was sent on an Evening run to BOC Faversham,in Mayhews first Lynx, lovely lovely motor, once you got the hang of a crash gearbox! I remember well, having to stop at the cross on the way back, then trying to get the bloody thing going again, what I didn’t know was that Gordon Fuller, mechanic at that time, but later Transport Manager (smashing bloke) was in the chippy nearby, ripped the ■■■■ out of me the next day!

Many happy memories of those days!

Roy Simmons of Star Driver training also had Star Transport I think.

Ex Milk Tank:

brookie:
Another couple of names from Sussex past, do you remember Star Transport? They did Greece etc in mid eighties, based in Crowborough I think, only a couple of motors. And Merrydowns own Dafs, or Mayhew Chickens too? Danny Erser from Newhaven (Volvos and tilts I think?). Who had the Volvo F89 pulling TOE trailors in late '80s?. And another firm that did timber etc, I’m sure from Ringmer way, I always got stuck behind them through the forest up the A22, they had some fairly old motors that struggled a bit!! If I recall any more I’ll post them.

Brookie

I worked for Mayhews, first on Vans then driving a Leyland Lynx on shop and supermarket deliveries, learnt to drive with Star driver training from Crowborough on a Ford D Series I think, (with Synchromesh) n day after I passed was sent on an Evening run to BOC Faversham,in Mayhews first Lynx, lovely lovely motor, once you got the hang of a crash gearbox! I remember well, having to stop at the cross on the way back, then trying to get the bloody thing going again, what I didn’t know was that Gordon Fuller, mechanic at that time, but later Transport Manager (smashing bloke) was in the chippy nearby, ripped the ■■■■ out of me the next day!

Many happy memories of those days!

Roy Simmons of Star Driver training also had Star Transport I think.

Also, you are not wrong about Combers, I was a bit heavy footed those days, but knew if I didn’t leave Five Ash Down by about 0530 I would be stuck behind them!

Not forgetting good old Goddens of course based in Mayfield, bit of general haulage I think, but then mainly milk churn collection, later sold out to Wincanton who ran out of Mayfield for quite a few years with about 20 ish tankers