Long gone sussex hauliers

Any one remember these? Mainly parcel work I I think, green Fprds I think, then were taken over by Carryfast, who in turn were bought out by UPS, yard was right in the middle of the village, only evidence of the yard now is a road called Carriers Way there.

facebook.com/groups/694053473962290/

Ex Milk Tank:
Not forgetting good old Goddens of course based in Mayfield, bit of general haulage I think, but then mainly milk churn collection, later sold out to Wincanton who ran out of Mayfield for quite a few years with about 20 ish tankers[/quote I drove at Mayfield from 1974 for about two years.As I recall there were 8 Albion Clydedales,and 5 Bedford KM tankers,there were also 4 TK Bedfords on churn collection and a removal van.Raw milk went to Headcorn,all the churn lorries and sometimes tankers,Mainly tankers ran to Eastbourne,Hove,Unigate and Hastings and Peacehaven.Other milk was collected by MMB and Woodgates.As I understood Unigate bought Goddens which meant they were not nationalised in 1947 becoming part of Mickleover Transport which then became Wincanton
There were two fitters Peter and Cecil,Peter was tragically killed in an RTA,two smashing blokes they also looked after 4 tankers at Unigate Worthing,all of them some of the best blokes I ever worked with,and they let me kepp my elderly AJS in the shed

brookie:

JAMIE10:

JAMIE10 and chewy, do you remember the Dunlop boys on JJ’s?. I don’t remember Dunlop senior, but his son Anthony drove for them and then Stuart was in the office? I’ve been in contact with Stuart recently. I also saw Chris Adam at a driver cpc course last year, it had been a long time since I’d seen him.

Regards,

Mark.
The Dunlop boys are still about, Old man Billy is now retired and enjoying life on the open road in his new camper van, Stuart is running a yard in Hastings and Im still on the road for a company in Eastbourne

les freathy:
Two shots of the old Leyland hippo crane truck that lay rotting on the old Hartnells yard at Brede

It is still there now, the cab has almost vanished in a pile of rust, along with a lot of other plant which is out of sight under masses of brambles!!

silver fox:
Here you go Stoney some Farrant & Reid & Farrant Haulage photos

Farrant & Reid ran a ‘C’ licence fruit&veg haulage Business, bought Sid Willinghams 'A’licence Company and started Farrant Haulage.

LASTY:

Broke the mould after Bernie, a ‘proper’ Lorry Driver and good friend.

Anthony Dunlop:

brookie:

JAMIE10:

JAMIE10 and chewy, do you remember the Dunlop boys on JJ’s?. I don’t remember Dunlop senior, but his son Anthony drove for them and then Stuart was in the office? I’ve been in contact with Stuart recently. I also saw Chris Adam at a driver cpc course last year, it had been a long time since I’d seen him.

Regards,

Mark.
The Dunlop boys are still about, Old man Billy is now retired and enjoying life on the open road in his new camper van, Stuart is running a yard in Hastings and Im still on the road for a company in Eastbourne

Hi Anthony, I remember you from when you were on JJ’s as a young lad too and as a v young’un. I lived off Battle road. I did a bit for Stuart on my odd days off last year for Ripleys, he kept my hand in for me, for which I am grateful, he ended up with a full complement of staff though, so didn’t require my services any more. Send him my regards and ask him if he needs a casual again?! Who are you driving for now? Regards, Mark.

Just a quick un n thought this best place. I seem to recall backloading from brick yard near E Grinstead , is my memory serving me well ? anybody know it ?

I may be wrong, but I suspect the brick yard near East Grinstead would have been Freshfield Bricks near Danehill, still there but a different name nowadays, though the vehicles are still on the old FLB reg plates ( were green Fodens at one time, then went onto Volvos)

ExMilkTank:
I may be wrong, but I suspect the brick yard near East Grinstead would have been Freshfield Bricks near Danehill, still there but a different name nowadays, though the vehicles are still on the old FLB reg plates ( were green Fodens at one time, then went onto Volvos)

Thanks. Went there times but the names gone so you may well be right

Rother Valley Transport, based in Stedham, near Midhurst, West Sussex, ran to Austria In the early 70’s, doing traction for Dow Freight, Gatley. An L reg day cab Scania 110 was joined by a sleeper cab M reg. 110. As a 16 year old, i was invited by the proprietor to accompany him on at trip to Vienna, and ended up driving the ‘night shift’ in both directions. Like most traction jobs in those days ( and the present day too) riches were not to be had, and the operation ended up with a lone ‘bug eyed’ Foden using the German railroad system. Obscurity was soon to follow.

Hello Sussex drivers,past and present. This could be a real shot in the dark.
In December 2015, I started a thread on Trucknet…“Robert Baillie Transport,
Portsmouth and Horndean”. The company started about 1964/1965, and had
a depot at Peacehaven, and their main work was Guernsey Tomatoes loading
at Shoreham. In 1969/1970, they moved to Portsmouth and Horndean,because
the Guernsey Produce was now being landed at Portsmouth. Do any of you have
any memory of Baillies in Sussex ■■ Or any pictures of the company in its early days ?

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Scan%2011.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Hello Sussex drivers,past and present. This could be a real shot in the dark.
In December 2015, I started a thread on Trucknet…“Robert Baillie Transport,
Portsmouth and Horndean”. The company started about 1964/1965, and had
a depot at Peacehaven, and their main work was Guernsey Tomatoes loading
at Shoreham. In 1969/1970, they moved to Portsmouth and Horndean,because
the Guernsey Produce was now being landed at Portsmouth. Do any of you have
any memory of Baillies in Sussex ■■ Or any pictures of the company in its early days ?

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray this is a cracking photo of a proper motor, Thank you for posting it, Regards Larry.

It is about a year and a half since I put a post on this thread, looking for any
Trucknet members and viewers who have any memories and/or pictures of
Robert Baillie Transport who operated from Peacehaven and Shoreham in
Sussex from 1965 until 1969, at which time the company moved to Portsmouth
and Horndean. I thought it is time to put a couple more of Baillies lorry photos
on here, just in case someone sees them, and brings back memories. The photos
have already been seen on the Robert Baillie thread. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Scan%203%20(2).jpg

Scan%20(1).jpg

Scan%203.jpg

les freathy:
A Bedford TM of J B Carey from Bexhill and a couple of Dave French trucks St Leonards
cheers
Les

Standing joke back along, re; SBCarey’s name, SB stood for Scotcher Brothers. as a lot of their family drove for Carey in '60’s '70’s

Hi all

I’ve just blown the dust off this thread in the hope someone can help me. Does anyone remember Taytran, which I believe was Chris Taylor and his Dad (Ken?) from Crowborough, possibly later became Star training or something like that?

Chris lost his Fiat on the Zenobia in 1980 when it sank

I drove for this fella about 1982ish while i did my cpc exam as i needed to be part time at the time Derrick Shepherd ran about 5-6 lorries all artics we parked in Francis Parkers yard in Chichester he was a real good guy a Yorkshire man possibly from Sheffield we had a Bedford tm v6 two Renaults a new Seddon Atkinson 400 and the Scania which was a real good lorry fitted with tipping gear we did flat work tipping work for Parkers going in to London with 20t of pots that had to be built in to piramids 4 short scaffold poles through the bottom and then craned off you would be lucky if a pair of gloves lasted for 2 loads the Seddon Atkinson was on toe out of Shoreham he also did traction for scac at Portsmouth because i mainly drove the Scania its the only one i took a picture of i believe this lorry to have been new to P D wharfage of Shoreham having a Sussex reg number JNJ104L it was fitted with a fold down bunk and curtains and it ran with the true Scania reliability.

img053.jpg

Just found this site. Many names made me smile …… Skippy (Terry), Bunter, L8FRT the Volvo (but cant remember who), Dave Brandon, Roger Westgate, Danny Ersser, Howard Hardy (I saw about a year ago), Jim Boniface (met his ex wife about 6 months ago :slight_smile: ).
I am Simon, used to work for Jim Boniface for many years, driving and in the office. Pulled SCAC, TOE, Galopin, many happy memories

Hi Simon happy days , remember you, and Jim Boniface when I was on for TOE, Hissing Syd at Galopin Graham Holder and Alan Pryer at TOE, started out on Sykes from up north and ended up with my old man with an F88 there were some good guys on that job !