Long distance bobtail run

Roundabouts are the only problems I tend to find - in wet they can look like you’re in one of those Japanese drifting teams! Not great if there’s a car coming up the left side but otherwise, fun. Just be careful you have enough drift room.

You think solo in a Merc while its windy is bad, try sticking a double decker on it. :slight_smile:

I think DAF and Merc must come from the same factory as uncomfortable rides and absolutely no engine power even solo do sound very familiar.

Truck flashed me out if slip road other day while solo (15 plate). Prob regretted it as DAF spluttered and shook just trying to get to 55, while Miss Daisy crunched through the auto box.

truckertang:

daftvader:
Don’t use the full exhaust brake if it’s wet either.Can sometimes throw the unit.Obviously keep the mid lift up too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Now this is great fun…[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Tc off
Veb on 3, come to roundabout, lift off, back locks up, boot it, weeeee heeee big power slide, opposite on, big grin on face, Difffing a gobjobber,

Try driving for Paul Mathew - I only ever see them running solo I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a trailer on it!

the maoster:
I swear that my fuel economy is worse unit only! :wink:

Nothing better than wasting “Corsa Kev” or “Clio Toris” off of the lights from a standing start… Owned! You little [zb]ers! :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:
Longest bob-tail contest…

I’ll start with Pompey to Madrid.

I’m confident that longer ones have been done.

I’ve done solo back to the UK from Berlin, and in a steel-sprung Scania too. :open_mouth:

I vaguely remember Neil (coffeeholic) going from the UK to Italy bob-tail iirc.

Tricky 21 Jan:
Hi all,

I am doing my first long distance run bobtail in a unit on Sunday from Carlisle to Heywood.

Not a fan of driving units on their own and just looking for some advice and/or tips on handling it!

Last time I was out on a solo run, it was very windy and I was bricking it going from Gretna to Glasgow!!

Truck is a merc actros 6x2

Thanks
T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bricking it?

I don’t know what horror stories you have been told by drama queens about driving solo tractors, but there is literally nothing to worry about whatsoever.

try doing bob tail in a Kenworth from Townsville to Melbourne 27hours would be easy in an euro

lizard:
No weight or trailer to hold you back, so drive it like you stole it.

Sent using smoke signals

The 0-50 acceleration should leave a few boy racers embarrassed

peirre:
The 0-50 acceleration should leave a few boy racers embarrassed

In a manual probably, but auto box will likely splutter and get very confused as to why you shot off so fast then lose its mind as it changes range.

Now in something decent like a V8 with proper badge on the front… :smiley:

Reef:

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:

I’ve done solo back to the UK from Berlin, and in a steel-sprung Scania too. :open_mouth:

I also went out to Italy bobtail and this is me on my way back.

truckertang:

Reef:

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:

Are you allowed to say what cars were in the trailer ?

manski:

truckertang:

Reef:

Harry Monk:

yourhavingalarf:

Are you allowed to say what cars were in the trailer ?

I had a secret load of glider engines bound for the uk.[emoji23][emoji23]

I had run bobtail down to the south of Turin (inc being weekended) to collect this new trailer from the Rolfo factory and as stated above ran all the way back empty.[emoji2369][emoji2369]

Carlisle to Heywood, long distance. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My longest was from Bodmin to Enfield. If it’s a manual, you can sharpen up your skip-shifts / block-changes. :wink: robert

I’m just back from some event work, take trailer from Munich to Warsaw, bobtail back, pick up next trailer, back to Warsaw, botail back, and do it once again. The only advantage was it’s easier to park on an evening with just the unit, but god it did bounce around a fair bit :unamused:

malcolmgbell:
Get in out side lane flat to mat.if old bill stop you laugh at them you ain’t got a trailer.dont go over 60mph motorways you can do 60

I do not drive an HGV a lot, but surely you cannot use the outside lane on a 3 lane motorway??
As you are an HGV over 7.5 tonnes, so prohibited from using it, also even if your tractor unit is under 7.5 tonnes then you are prohibited as it is fitted with a speed limiter.
A tractor unit is just a normal HGV with a fancy tow hitch for legal reasons, so whether the trailer is attached makes no difference.
PS: I would be happy to be proved wrong, as I drive without a trailer a lot.

Did Moscow to Aylesford solo in 2012 I’m sure Daftvaider did the same. also ran empty from Moscow to Essen for a re-load

chester1:
Did Moscow to Aylesford solo in 2012 I’m sure Daftvaider did the same. also ran empty from Moscow to Essen for a re-load

That’s long distance.

Just bobtailed Durham to Milton Keynes and dragged an empty trailer back. Reminded me why I don’t want to do motorway miles anymore-so boring.

bowers340:
try doing bob tail in a Kenworth from Townsville to Melbourne 27hours would be easy in an euro

I hope you used the Hume, and not the old Razorback … roads are poor at the best of times over here.