Demonstrator

Oh, I don’t know what to do.
I was offered a merc actros black special demo for a week to try it out. I really like the new actros, but have only ever done short runs in one and I would love to tramp in one on general haulage for a bit, especially if there’s a chance i’ll get one new.

BUT . . .

I really like my R500, and having just been in someone elses truck for a day whilst mine was in for MOT, I don’t want to get back in this to find it filthy and smelling like an ashtray. also, there’s a lot of kit to move over just for a week.

Its a shame, because I don’t think other drivers will judge it properly. they’ll give it to someone who thinks he already knows its not as good as his truck, and will slag it off regardless.

Oh, what to do?!

well, I decided against the demonstrator, but did drive it on saturday. it was a 2554 executive. nice truck, lovely to drive, but the cab is so small compared to the topline. lots of storage, possibly a bit more than the scania, but the fridge is only that, and a small one. with the top bunk folded away, there still isn’t enough space to sit up in the bottom bunk. Not sure how they compare on price, but I wouldn’t like it to tramp in.

Here’s a suggestion for truck manufacturers. Create a single bunk layout for your top-of-the-range trucks. scrap the poxy top bunks, raise the lower bunk to increase underneath storage space, and put cupboards on the top of the back wall.

And given that a drawbar outfit can be 28plts long( unlike 26plts for an artic), surely scania could use the longline cab on these and it still be legal to use in the UK?